ANTHEM - What's going on with DD/Classic Dining?

I would take Silk over American Icon.

Okay, I have not seen it here so please forgive me if it was mentioned. Is Anthem keeping their menus or reverting back to the old RCCL MDR menus. If they are reverting back to the old MDR menus that just put another nail in their coffin as far as I am conerned.

Unknown at this time.

Hopefully if Royal is indeed eliminating DD, they will introduce a new menu that incorporates dishes from DD.

Pardon me in advance for being late to this party.

The Royal website does not show any changes to DD. I am booked for fall and chose DD choice ("The next era of dining at sea") I already have dining reservations for every evening. I will be a bit peeved if they take away the options, reservations, or limit me to an unpopular dining room because a of a few complainers.

because a of a few complainers.

According to the poster who spoke with the maitre'd it seems to be much more than a few complainers.

I still think they (RCCL) is using that as an excuse and this is all a money issue, or money is a big part of it.

How many other times have they changed something just because people have complained? If that were the case the new ships would have an entire deck dedicated to just Crown and Anchor members.

I still think they (RCCL) is using that as an excuse and this is all a money issue, or money is a big part of it.

I do have to agree. The higher-ups on the ship could be being told that it is because of complaints, but those in Miami are who have the final say (and I find it extremely hard to believe that they are this sensitive to complaints, based on other changes throughout the fleet).

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I just wish they would start letting people know who are booked after April 30th...especially the ones in May. They most likely still don't know how it will be changed, which is typical.

This is exactly why I ventured out and tried NCL last year! And loved it! Booked Anthem due to the DD - RCI's regular system and poor service were getting old and tired.

The "world's first smart ship" sure seems to be getting the best of these 'dumb' people who are in RCI's offices.

I don't expect compensation because let's be honest, they are still providing the food and service just in a slightly different format.

Thanks Patti for posting!

Edited by cot427

I am not really concerned about the decor of the dining venue. We will be in a group of 8 enjoying each others company. What I am disappointed in, is losing the different menus that we would be experiencing each evening. We booked all our restaurants and we asked our travel agent to link our reservations with the others so we would all be seated together, she said that RC told her that they don't link reservations for purposes of DD. She told our agent for us just to tell each restaurant when we arrive. Our TA said she insisted they do it, but told her the best they would do was to note on our reservation that we were with 3 other couples.

That did not sit well with me, so I emailed RC Dining and a day later they responded and linked all reservations so we would be at 1 table for 8.

Now this. So I wonder what is going to happen to our reservations at the Grande and Chic? Also now that Solarium Bistro is for suite guests only, where are they going to put us that night?

I could only expect that when they make the announcement official, their whole cruise planner web site will crash with everyone trying to adjust their reservations. Or we could make changes now like someone else did to avoid the rush. But then what if the information posted was not exactly what they are doing. I truly believe the poster, but what if the Maitre d was wrong?

I don't think Solarium Bistro is suite only, they couldn't do that as well, limiting choice. It's just Coastal Kitchen that's suite only.

Either way, if I got positioned in the really horrible decor of Silk I'd be very peeved.

According to the poster who spoke with the maitre'd it seems to be much more than a few complainers.

How many other times have they changed something just because people have complained? If that were the case the new ships would have an entire deck dedicated to just Crown and Anchor members.

I tend to agree with this. Whatever the issue is, I think it is more than just complaints.

Didn't think of it that way, but that's a good point. I was looking at it from a 'choice' perspective, but this would also tick off some of the 'classic' folks as well.

I've got a strange feeling RC could get more of a backlash changing things up then what they are seeing now with the current system and before DD classic.

This could be a case where RC should never have even brought in DD classic. It's expected and human nature to be uncomfortable with change, but it may be like quick-sand now ... the more RC tries to change and adapt the system, the faster they'll sink

I agree.. I would rather see them do away with classic and just go to everyone make your reservations and once a restaurant fills up, that's it. Or stop doing reservations and make it like any other restaurant? Perhaps the logistics just aren't there for that on a ship, but it seems like trying to keep the original ideas of the ship would be more important that going back to what made people leave the line in the first place.

If it was just money, why wouldn't start by cutting one thing from each menu? That alone would probably save some $$, no?

If it was just money, why wouldn't start by cutting one thing from each menu? That alone would probably save some $$, no?

Don't think it's just food costs alone, but they need more staff/crew also.

I'm not even a fan of Dynamic Dining, but even I think they should just go back to all DD and forget Classic Dining on Anthem.

Also, why aren't the changes being done on Ovation and Quantum?

I seem to recall reading that although they technically have DD on Quantum, it works differently for the Asian market. If I'm correct, it would probably be the same for Ovation.

Okay, so Ovation is going to the Asian market also. I didn't realize that. Thanks.

I don't think Solarium Bistro is suite only, they couldn't do that as well, limiting choice. It's just Coastal Kitchen that's suite only.

cruisenfever included Solarium in her post as being for suite guests as well as Coastal Kitchen. Hopefully that was an error and it's not changing, but that is where this comment is coming from. I agree that it would further limit the choices of other guests, particularly if the different menus were going away!

Sailing on the Anthem May 5th, will be disappointed if they do away with DD. That's what we loved about Quantum class. That's why I was willing to pay more for the uniqueness in dinning the ship had to offer.

It was part of the cruise that was exciting, now it will be boring eating in the same venue every night. To me there is a huge difference in the decor of the dinning venues....American Icon reminds me of a dinner. I didn't mind eating there for one evening but to have the potential to be assigned that room for the duration of the cruise is not right.

Count us as another group of 6 adults that will be disappointed if RC is in fact doing away with the Dynamic Dining concept just in time for our May 5 Anthem sailing!

It took a significant amount of time and planning to get reservations worked out for everyone with dining, shows, activities, etc.!

We were really looking forward to trying the new, creative menus and different atmospheres of the restaurants! That was a huge appeal for us in booking the Anthem, because it was different and we like to experience new things!! I don't really like the idea of being segregated to two out of the five restaurants we were able to reserve... and all my reservations are still showing as what I booked under the Dynamic Choice options. I'm also curious as to how that will all play out. :)

It is unfortunate if they have been forced to give up on that for whatever reason. :(

Either way, if I got positioned in the really horrible decor of Silk I'd be very peeved.

I didn't just make that up.... It was in the original post by "crusinfever"After talking with the Maitre'd of all restaurants this evening, I can confirm that Dynamic Dining will be coming to an end. When I tried to get her to commit to a date, she said it would be after we disembarked the ship which will be April 30th.

The 2 dining rooms on Deck 3 will be Traditional with 2 seatings and the 2 dining rooms on Deck 4 will be MTD. Yes, Formal Nights will be reinstated on Anthem. Coastal Kitchen and the Solarium will be for Suite Guests and Pinnacle Club Members. Suite Guests and PC Members can also have Traditional or MTD.

I'm not sure what the big deal is: DD is MTD with a different menu (and decor).:confused:

No it's not. It's 4 different restaurants each with different menus. So instead of just making 6 different entrees a night they have to make 20-22 different entrees a night.

It has to be costing them more to do this.

From RC's Anthem website:

Welcome to Dynamic Dining — a world of culinary exploration onboard Royal Caribbean®. Dynamic Dining is a new take on the main dining room, reimagined to give you a culinary experience at sea as vast, varied and eye-opening as dining in the world’s most cosmopolitan cities.

If things are changed, RC may have to update the website ...

No it's not. It's 4 different restaurants each with different menus. So instead of just making 6 different entrees a night they have to make 20-22 different entrees a night.

It has to be costing them more to do this.

Yes, but the 20-22 different entrees stay the same for at least 4 nights, while the 6 different menus change every night. On an 8 night DD cruise that would be 40-44 different entrees. On an 8 night traditional cruise it would be 48 different entrees.

....but it's the same 20-22 menus every night (till they switch on night 5). Again, DD it MTD with a different menu.

The 2 dining rooms on Deck 3 will be Traditional with 2 seatings and the 2 dining rooms on Deck 4 will be MTD.

Even with 3 seatings on deck 4 (MTD) the math says a lot of folks will be in WJ or other venues.

Count me in the group of "I'm not happy with this." We're sailing on May 5 and partially booked b/c we loved the idea of dynamic dining and, for us, it's too late to cancel. I'm not saying we necessarily would have, but they advertised one product and are now offering another and we have no choice but to accept it. And I can hardly wait to see what happens when/if the passengers on my cruise become the guinea pigs for MTD and traditional vs dynamic. UGH.

There you go... a "final" word that seems to be holding a lot of weight to many on this forum from a respected CC'er to re-enforce what I, Beachnative, Merion_Mom, Gayle, etc etc etc have been saying for over a year... Patti did not have a problem whatsoever with DD. There were obviously a few issues from previous cruisers, but Patti's overall conclusion in general (not every single case) points directly to those cruisers who complained essentially about nothing in my opinion, as I experienced on my sailing last year

And better yet, they will complain with zero experience or facts even before stepping onto the ship.

For us DD is working out well. But then, we are not known to complain about the small stuff. We just kind of go with the flow!!:D

It appears that many C&A Members complained. Remember when Diamond Members complained back in 2009 about being excommunicated from the CL. Management listened and a Diamond Event was created.

I was told last night that when DD is eliminated and Traditional and MTD go into effect Coastal Kitchen (which is currently for Gold Card Holders and JS for dinner only) and Solarium Bistro (which is currently for anyone) will be for Gold Card Holders (Suite Guests and PC Members) only.

I believe that this change is going to tie in with the new Royal Suite Program when it goes into effect in May.

....but it's the same 20-22 menus every night (till they switch on night 5). Again, DD it MTD with a different menu.

We were told by the head maitre'd they switch after nights 2.

2 nights menu A, 2 nights menu B, back to menu A again, etc.

Because when we went back to American Icon on night 5 we had the same menu as night 1, so they were already back to menu A again. That's why we asked how they changed.