Get your passports EARLY!

BrushedNickel

Just because some are getting their passports back in 2 or 3 weeks doesn't mean that can't change in an instant. Last year there was computer problems and in certain areas (US citizens living overseas) where people had to wait till the problem was fixed before they could get their passports processed. And what if you didn't dot an "i" or cross a "t" or they didn't like the photograph you included; that could add time for processing your passport.

Thankfully things usually go smoothly, but don't take that for granted. Glitches happen.

Guess it all depends. Someone just posted that their Passport was sent on the 11th and received today.

My child's was renewed and took 1 month on the button.

If you don't mind me asking, why did yours cost $400? I remember the price was about $100.

Guess it all depends. Someone just posted that their Passport was sent on the 11th and received today.

My child's was renewed and took 1 month on the button.

If you don't mind me asking, why did yours cost $400? I remember the price was about $100.

The OP said that they paid the expedite fee for both passports which added $60 each and it appears that these weren't renewals since they were for a child so $110 plus $25 processing fee. Add it all up and it comes to $390.

We renewed our passports 6 months prior to their expiration.

We mailed them in the post office envelope and sent the traditional 3 day delivery with no request for expediated service.

We received our new passports exactly in 14 calendar days (this was over New years).

3 days later we received our old passports.

It was quick.

Safe travels.

My husband just renewed his. Sent it in by regular mail, got it back in between 2-3 weeks. I can't remember exactly when he sent it off, but definitely no more than 3 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We aren't flying into a foreign country, we are leaving out of Galveston and coming back to Galveston- we were told that as long as we have our birth certificates and picture ID that we didn't need a passport. Anyone ever done this before?

We aren't flying into a foreign country, we are leaving out of Galveston and coming back to Galveston- we were told that as long as we have our birth certificates and picture ID that we didn't need a passport. Anyone ever done this before?

been done by many on here, however, if there were an issue and you had to stay behind in a foreign port, getting home would be difficult.

Thousands upon thousands of US cruise passengers do it safely every year.

If this weren't true, the columns of Cruise Critic would be awash with the troubles and travails of those who were begging on the beach of some 3rd world Caribbean island, desperately trying to get home. :D:cool:

Edited by thinfool

Thousands upon thousands of US cruise passengers do it safely every year.

If this weren't true, the columns of Cruise Critic would be awash with the troubles and travails of those who were begging on the beach of some 3rd world Caribbean island, desperately trying to get home. :D:cool:

Actually it's probably closer to millions of US citizens doing this safely every year. I read an article that said worldwide there were 10 million cruise ship passengers in a recent year. Since I've read that the US has the largest number of cruises leaving and arriving I esitmate that there are probably 7 million passengers on cruises orignating from the US. I'm not sure what percentage of those cruises are closed loop cruises but closed loop cruises probably represent at least 70% of the cruises from the US, which gives us about 5 million passengers traveling on closed loop cruises. I have seen no hard data about what percentage of passengers travel with documentation other than passports on closed loop cruises but even if it's only 40% that is 2 million passengers on closed loop cruises per year traveling with something other than a passport. And of course that's all just a guess but I feel that it is a conservative one.:)

Actually it's probably closer to millions of US citizens doing this safely every year. I read an article that said worldwide there were 10 million cruise ship passengers in a recent year. Since I've read that the US has the largest number of cruises leaving and arriving I esitmate that there are probably 7 million passengers on cruises orignating from the US. I'm not sure what percentage of those cruises are closed loop cruises but closed loop cruises probably represent at least 70% of the cruises from the US, which gives us about 5 million passengers traveling on closed loop cruises. I have seen no hard data about what percentage of passengers travel with documentation other than passports on closed loop cruises but even if it's only 40% that is 2 million passengers on closed loop cruises per year traveling with something other than a passport. And of course that's all just a guess but I feel that it is a conservative one.:)

Sparks1093,

sorry to jump into this thread but I was wondering if you could lend your expertise to this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2339379

Sorry everybody

Bill