Northern Lights in Sept

Nessi

We're sailing on RCL (Inside Passage) 09/02/16-09/09/16. I've heard we may be able to see the Northern Lights during that time. Do main stream lines such as RCL typically make an announcement to alert passengers, or is it just luck if you get to see them?

Has anyone seen them in on an Inside Passage cruise in Sept? Is so, what time of night was it, and where we you in the Inside Passage?

Thanks!

Edited by Nessi
Clarifying my question

We're sailing on RCL (Inside Passage) 09/02/16-09/09/16. I've heard we may be able to see the Northern Lights during that time. Do main stream lines such as RCL typically make an announcement to alert passengers, or is it just luck if you get to see them?

Has anyone seen them in on an Inside Passage cruise in Sept? Is so, what time of night was it, and where we you in the Inside Passage?

Thanks!

Likely - no. Possible - yes. One problem might be that unless they dim the outside lights of the ship, you may not be able to see them even if they are there.

We did see them on a small boat cruise on late August once. They were very dim and they did turn off all the ship lights except for the navigation lights. Also, they knocked on people's door. However, the ship only had about 50 passengers on it.

Basically, if you really want to see aurora, you need to go AK in January - March when it is really cold. Been there. Done that. Was extremely cold. Was worth the trip.

DON

We luckily just saw them on our Sept 4, 2015 roundtrip out of Vancouver on Radiance. It was very early morning (approx 1:00am) the captain did blow the horn...a surprise to everyone onboard as no one was expecting this sighting. Best of luck.

We live in Fairbanks, Alaska, and we can starting seeing auroras in late August but they are generally very faint at that time of the year. But there was an interesting trip report posted last fall from someone on a Carnival (I think -- it was a line I've never been on and Carnival is one we've never tried) which included some fairly decent photos of an aurora taken from an outer deck of the ship. Do a search of the trip reports and try to find a report from a young woman who was traveling with her sister.

Boy I really want to see this. Other than being at a time in night that is dark, is there a certain time that is best? Are there certain conditions or situations where it is more likely?

- Joel

I'm an avid photographer and regularly monitor the aurora so I can take photos (when it's clear....and the aurora is active enough to be visible in my part of the country).

I use this website: http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/

It gives a fairly accurate probability may that moves as time goes on so you can predict if you'll be able to see them or not.

The UAlaska one is good for general probabilities, but this is my go-to for finding out if they're visible.

I'm an avid photographer and regularly monitor the aurora so I can take photos (when it's clear....and the aurora is active enough to be visible in my part of the country).

I use this website: http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/

It gives a fairly accurate probability may that moves as time goes on so you can predict if you'll be able to see them or not.

The UAlaska one is good for general probabilities, but this is my go-to for finding out if they're visible.

Cool site.