Taste of the freestyle drinks

bigsky

Went on the Oasis a little over a yr ago. IF I drink diet coke from a fountain, I like these freestyle machines that have the coke zero. LOVE the taste! But I found on Oasis, it didn't taste the same and wasn't very good. Wondering if it was just a fluke or do others find it tastes different?

We're going on the Allure, and want to get the beverage pkg again, but thinking twice if my favorite drink just doesn't taste that good.

Any input?

My experience from being in a city where the Freestyle machines debuted years ago and I have used them on Allure 2013, Jewel in 14, Freedom in 15 and Oasis in 16 was mostly good. I too an a Coke Zero convert. Of all the cruises I've listed, only once on Allure did I get a bad cup of flat Coke Zero. Since I filled my cup, I had to wait 15 minutes to try again. (It took me 7 minutes to walk from the machine in the promenade to the one in the Wipeout Café. I have had experience of machines being nearly empty at the end of the cruise (really bad Allure 2013 and no problem in 2015 and 2016).

I mentioned having experience with the first version of these machines because they were terrible in the sense that if the person in front of you ordered a grape additive to their coke, you got some in your Orange drink if you were right behind them. (I don't see this in the 2nd generation machines RC uses. (Off to read your replies)

OK, we don't have these machines in anywhere I go. So a couple questions

If I drink only caffeine free past noon, will I be safe knowing for sure that I am getting caffeine free in the machine?? Or am I just being a trusting fool (like I have done in restaurants and found out later that it was not CF)

And also, can I get CF at the bars?? What about cans of CF, is that included in the drink package??

This will be the first time sailing with a machine and want to make sure before I get onboard without my own (like I normally do)

CF is is only available in cans at the bars, and cans are not included in any package.

Really?? I have asked this question on these boards many times and on the Royal FB page. Have been assured that it is in the machines also. Was leary to trust it.

Glad I am going to wait and check it out first hand before buying package.

Really?? I have asked this question on these boards many times and on the Royal FB page. Have been assured that it is in the machines also. Was leary to trust it.

CF is available in the Freestyle machines.

I said it was not available at the bars with a package. You would have purchaase a can for around $3.

There are many caffeine free options in the freestyle machines. I would trust that the machines dispense CF if that is what you choose.

Keep in mind that the diet sweetener used is different for fountain versus canned. So that is probably the difference you are tasting.

For example, there are four different flavors of Diet Coke. One that goes into the cans, one that is the fountain version in bag-in-box, one that McDonald's gets, and the one that is used in the freestyle machine.

When Coke makes a can of soda, it is highly monitored. OTOH when a drink is dispensed out of a freestyle machine, it is much harder to get all the amounts of liquids dispensed accurately.

OK, we don't have these machines in anywhere I go. So a couple questions

If I drink only caffeine free past noon, will I be safe knowing for sure that I am getting caffeine free in the machine?? Or am I just being a trusting fool (like I have done in restaurants and found out later that it was not CF)

And also, can I get CF at the bars?? What about cans of CF, is that included in the drink package??

This will be the first time sailing with a machine and want to make sure before I get onboard without my own (like I normally do)

Every cruise I have been on, they will open a Diet Sprite can of soda and put it in my soda cup when they do not have the freestyle machines. I just tell them I cannot drink caffeine after noon, and do not want sugar.

I got pushback in one bar on one cruise, so I avoided that bar.

Can someone tell me if you can get sugar free flavored waters from the machine. My son purchased the soda package and found out this week he's diabetic. Wondering whether to just cancel it. Trip is in 2 weeks and hasn't found a diet soda he cares for.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.5 HD using Forums mobile app

Can someone tell me if you can get sugar free flavored waters from the machine. My son purchased the soda package and found out this week he's diabetic. Wondering whether to just cancel it. Trip is in 2 weeks and hasn't found a diet soda he cares for.

Flavors here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=41963551&postcount=2

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.5 HD using Forums mobile app

Yes, you can get flavored waters, both flat and sparkling, but they vary greatly by ship. I just got off Anthem and they only had plain sparkling or lime. We were on Oasis in May and they had many other choices. Try to find an updated list, I have not seen one that has the current options. I do know they have diet Barq's Root Beer and now have vanilla as an add in, which makes my DH very happy.;):p

Went on the Oasis a little over a yr ago. IF I drink diet coke from a fountain, I like these freestyle machines that have the coke zero. LOVE the taste! But I found on Oasis, it didn't taste the same and wasn't very good. Wondering if it was just a fluke or do others find it tastes different?

We're going on the Allure, and want to get the beverage pkg again, but thinking twice if my favorite drink just doesn't taste that good.

Any input?

Sometimes drink machines get their calibration a little off and add too much/too little syrup or carbonation, so it can vary. I also love Coke Zero and it tasted fine to me from the freestyle machines on Freedom.