State Department Warning For travel to Europe

It's actually an alert, not a warning, big difference.

I'm reasonably confident the formal definition of an alert means there is some vague, unspecified possibility while a warning means there is a specific cause for concern. Anyone with the skill to book a flight and arrive at the airport in time doesn't need the government to tell us we need to be on alert.

I was watching a news program last night and the host showed the photograph of the three terrorists walking alongside one another pushing luggage carts. As most people have already seen, the terrorist on the left and in the middle are both wearing black leather gloves on their left hands only. The conversation focused on the fact that no one in real time -- neither anyone in an official capacity nor any private citizen -- seems to have noticed this odd detail and mentioned something to security.

Since the speculation is that the detonators were hidden inside those gloves, chances are the attacks could not have been completely prevented. However, the fact remains that in the current climate, we all need to increase our situational awareness and to speak up about things that don't seem right.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

How many people die a year in car accidents?

Annual Global Road Crash Statistics

Nearly 1.3 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day.

An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled.

More than half of all road traffic deaths occur among young adults ages 15-44.

Road traffic crashes rank as the 9th leading cause of death and account for 2.2% of all deaths globally.

Road crashes are the leading cause of death among young people ages 15-29, and the second leading cause of death worldwide among young people ages 5-14.

Each year nearly 400,000 people under 25 die on the world's roads, on average over 1,000 a day.

Over 90% of all road fatalities occur in low and middle-income countries, which have less than half of the world's vehicles.

Road crashes cost USD $518 billion globally, costing individual countries from 1-2% of their annual GDP.

Road crashes cost low and middle-income countries USD $65 billion annually, exceeding the total amount received in developmental assistance.

Unless action is taken, road traffic injuries are predicted to become the fifth leading cause of death by 2030.

1.3 million...more than 3,000 a day. So yes, it is a bigger problem than terrorism. And I am a teacher, not a travel agent.

Stats on how many Americans have been killed in Terrorist Attacks at home and abroad

https://www.start.umd.edu/pubs/START_AmericanTerrorismDeaths_FactSheet_Oct2015.pdf

Terrorist attacks have sky rocketed, but mostly the attacks are concentrated in 5 countries. The stats here do not include the Paris and Brussels attacks...the problem is escalating.

http://qz.com/552334/more-people-died-from-terrorism-last-year-than-ever-before-and-mostly-in-these-five-countries/

But still, nowhere near deaths caused by car accidents or fire arms around the world.

How many people die a year in car accidents?

Annual Global Road Crash Statistics

Nearly 1.3 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day.

An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled.

More than half of all road traffic deaths occur among young adults ages 15-44.

Road traffic crashes rank as the 9th leading cause of death and account for 2.2% of all deaths globally.

Road crashes are the leading cause of death among young people ages 15-29, and the second leading cause of death worldwide among young people ages 5-14.

Each year nearly 400,000 people under 25 die on the world's roads, on average over 1,000 a day.

Over 90% of all road fatalities occur in low and middle-income countries, which have less than half of the world's vehicles.

Road crashes cost USD $518 billion globally, costing individual countries from 1-2% of their annual GDP.

Road crashes cost low and middle-income countries USD $65 billion annually, exceeding the total amount received in developmental assistance.

Unless action is taken, road traffic injuries are predicted to become the fifth leading cause of death by 2030.

1.3 million...more than 3,000 a day. So yes, it is a bigger problem than terrorism. And I am a teacher, not a travel agent.

Stats on how many Americans have been killed in Terrorist Attacks at home and abroad

https://www.start.umd.edu/pubs/START_AmericanTerrorismDeaths_FactSheet_Oct2015.pdf

Terrorist attacks have sky rocketed, but mostly the attacks are concentrated in 5 countries. The stats here do not include the Paris and Brussels attacks...the problem is escalating.

http://qz.com/552334/more-people-died-from-terrorism-last-year-than-ever-before-and-mostly-in-these-five-countries/

But still, nowhere near deaths caused by car accidents or fire arms around the world.

You are a smart teacher. Life has risks. If you take no risks you have no life. Life can not happen if you hide away --too afraid to look for the sunrise or enjoy a cool drink on a summer day or meet up with a friend to enjoy each other's company. You must be brave enough to participate in life -- even if there is that very small chance that you may be harmed. Hiding away is not safety -- it is only a denial of living.

You are a smart teacher. Life has risks. If you take no risks you have no life. Life can not happen if you hide away --too afraid to look for the sunrise or enjoy a cool drink on a summer day or meet up with a friend to enjoy each other's company. You must be brave enough to participate in life -- even if there is that very small chance that you may be harmed. Hiding away is not safety -- it is only a denial of living.

I love the way you said " you must be brave enough to participate in life... Hiding away is not safety --it is only a denial of living".

Perfect. Very much how I feel.

Sigh. Can this thread be any more predictable?

There are people mourning loved ones right now. There's a frantic US mother searching for her adult children; the mother was on the phone with her daughter when she heard the sound of the explosion and breaking glass. Then, the phone went dead.

There are real problems and tragedies playing out and we're trading cliches. Sigh.

It is a real problem. It is unbelievably sad and scary.

But there are unbelievably sad and scary things happening all over, every day, in every country.

Trying to make sense of it and assess the risks is a natural response.

It happens when there is a plane crash, a school shooting, an earthquake or a terrorist attack...

People process, discuss and evaluate.

No one is diminishing the very real pain of the people of Belgium are going through. I have three children and can only imagine what the families feeling.

Same everytime there is a terrorist incident. Candles lit, buildings lit with the latest country to be attacked. Another tourist venue off the list (bookings on Greek isle of Lesbos down 90%). I would think the places that have already had an attack are the safest. Right now we are sitting ducks. Ok. Saying if we don't travel the terrorists win, they are winning anyway otherwise we wouldn't be having these discussions every few months.

I am English but feel much safer in America and Caribbean than in Europe. No matter how many googlers spew out statistics it is our perceptions. Will still go to Nice every spring though:)

Edited by moniquet

It is a real problem. It is unbelievably sad and scary....People process, discuss and evaluate.

When people speak in silly cliches they are not thoughtfully processing, discussing, and evaluating in a productive way. Productively carrying-on does not include trading cliched barbs about one another's country and culture.

Yesterday, I read a list of cities throughout Europe that have neighborhoods with residents who are just as disaffected as the Belgian neighborhood that spawned and sheltered the perpetrators of the Paris and Belgian incidents. I didn't hear any place in Portugal which is where we're currently scheduled to visit shortly. Furthermore, I understand the very, very, very, very slim chance that I'll actually be a victim of terrorism. However, this morning, the newspaper's headline identified specific failures to act on known terrorist information and known identities prior to the Belgian attack. Right now, seems like it may be a good time to let security agencies internationally improve their performance.

I'm also factoring in the reality that I'm seventy years old, and I've been traveling all over the world since I was twenty, at least one international trip each year. Compared to international destinations, I have seen little of the US as we've always felt we want to keep doing the hard travel -- the trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific flights -- while we're young enough to have the stamina. I'm still feeling young, but this may be the year to travel in the US or in Canada. It's not that I think those two countries are guaranteed to be safer; certainly the US has had its own incidents with domestic terrorists. However, my fluency in other languages is not equal to my command of English. I will feel more comfortable being able to understand information and instructions in the event of an emergency. I don't know if my current thinking will be the final decision; however, since our trip is some months away, I don't have to do anything now.

I'd really like to hear how other people are making specific decisions about near term travel plans.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

We went to Luxor two consecutive years and loved it. OH not keen on going back due to problems, but I would go. He is off to Oz for three weeks and I am going to Spain for two weeks. In May we are taking the car to France on Eurotunnel and later in the year will do a cruise, but haven't decided where to. It may be in Europe or somewhere further afield. So, no, our travel plans haven't changed at all and won't, unless the FCO advise against travel.

I'd really like to hear how other people are making specific decisions about near term travel plans.

I'm pretty much just playing the odds. Although I realize there is an increased chance of a terrorist attack right now compared to years past, you still have to be in the wrong place at just the right time if there is an attack. Statistically, the chances being killed in a terrorist attack are still very small.

I think it comes down to what level of risk are you comfortable with to carry on with your normal life..

We are due to travel in eight weeks. Right now, we are comfortable in continuing as planned. If things were to escalate, we would re-evaluate at that time. Of course, we purchased cancellation insurance, so finances aren't a consideration for us.

We're doing the Rhine river cruise in August, and I have no plans to change. We're none of us getting out of here alive, so I'd rather go doing something great than lying in bed sick.

I do plan to be more vigilant, more aware of my surroundings than I have in the past. If something makes me feel uncomfortable - I'll move to another place - and say something depending on how discomforting it is. I'd rather be safe and look like a fool, than be sorry.

Not a question of hiding away, but how much risk should we take? We have to balance the risk for the reward. Do we cross the street against the light just because we are in a hurry. Too much risk for me. A tough call that only we can make for ourselves. The object is to stay safe. :):)

Again, it comes down to common sense and statistics. While some on this thread are mocking " cliched" statements about dangers around the world, I think the most important thing to do at times like this is to look at facts.

We must take risks which are acceptable to us.

The State Department has released an alert. It is different than a warning.

"US citizens should exercise vigilance when in public places or using mass transportation. Be aware of immediate surroundings and avoid crowded places. Exercise particular caution during religious holidays and at large festivals or events "

I will be traveling to Europe in July with my family. I plan to splurge and use taxis rather than the underground. While that may seem silly to some, the terrorist attacks in Europe that had the largest number of casualities were on trains or subways ( London, Moscow, Madrid and Brussels). It seems to me more bodies are in a small, constricted space with few exits. So I personally feel better taking a cab at the moment evern though statistics show when people avoided flying after 9/11 , the number of car deaths rose...so it is complicated. Probably an emotional decision, but it is one I will embrace.

I also plan to rent cars and do sightseeing in several places on my own. Tour groups do seem to be higher profile at the major attractions, so plan to do things more on my own or in private groups ( something I do anyway...not really a change).

France and Belgium do seem to be hotspots for extremists at the moment. My travel plans don't include them at the moment, so a moot point. My destinations are rather off the beaten path...Faroe Islands, Shetland Islands, Iceland , Norway seem like good choices at the moment . We will also visit Amsterdam, London and Barcelona which could be more likely targets. But again, being clear headed and looking at statistics shows me that the likelihood of an attack happening exactly where we are on the exact minute that we are there is very very very small.

I don't drink and drive. I don't take selfies in dangerous places. I pay attention to traffic lights. I won't be visiting Syria, Nigeria, Pakistan or any of the most dangerous places on earth in the near future. Let's use facts to fight fear.

I have no doubt there will be more attacks in the near future. It seems like a given. But based on Fact, Europe is still a safe place if you look at numbers compared to other places.

Edited by brazilgirl

brazilgirl...I think your suggestions & ideas are very levelheaded.

We will be in Europe in August & I too will be following your plan to avoid the underground & just take taxis. I actually prefer them as I can see so much more .

Enjoy your trip!

I agree, brazilgirl's post was great.

I don't usually count myself among the travelers that are worried about terrorism. We were in Europe (Spain) during the Paris attack and hopped on a train a few days later without much thought. But, for some reason, this attack, and the one in Istanbul has me a bit more apprehensive for our next trip.

While I know statistically that the chances are slim to none that anything will happen, I would be lying if I didn't say that the anxiety level will be a bit high when we are catching our train in Termini. So much so that I priced rental cars for a one way trip to avoid the train. Rational brain took over when I got a load of the prices and thought of logistics...we'll stick with the train.

I guess I haven't been desensitized to the terrorist threat as much as I have the dangers of driving or gun violence here in the US. Also, with two risks I mentioned I have some element of control (or at least I feel like I do).

All I know is the next trip won't be as care-free. Hopefully, I'll be able to put it out of my mind once travelling and not avoid sites I really want to see. Or, have things closed to us, because the unthinkable has happened once again.

We are not changing our upcoming plans of spending 3 months around Europe mostly land travel.

As an example to help you decide, Would you have recommended people not cruise around USA after Boston , if you answer yes then maybe you should change your plans for Europe (not same incidents but just comparing how you would guide others in roles reversed)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I am not changing my plans. My husband and I are traveling to Amsterdam in May where we will spend a few days before going on a river cruise to Basel. Although a bit anxious, I am not going to let terrorist alerts keep from going. I have been waiting for years to go on a trip like this and nothing is going to stop me.