Turning your partially covered balcony into a fully covered balcony

kingsgirl

Agree.

They don't like you hanging clothes on the balcony, cantimagine them letting you strung up some cover.

A wet bathing suit is a little different than hanging a big tarp up. We hang our suits on a hanger and hang it on the door hinge that opens up the door to the next balcony. No one sees it, and it dries very fast. Seems to me that the tarp would obstruct the views for people next, and above the cabin with the tarp. It's just an all around bad idea. JMHO.

I got it. Take a Boy Scout tent. I think it will work and you can take your pillow with you and sleep in the tent. If you do please take a picture and post it.

Tony

I can visualize that tent flying over the edge of the ship and sailing off into the breeze. I'd LMAO if I saw that!

A wet bathing suit is a little different than hanging a big tarp up. We hang our suits on a hanger and hang it on the door hinge that opens up the door to the next balcony. No one sees it, and it dries very fast. Seems to me that the tarp would obstruct the views for people next, and above the cabin with the tarp. It's just an all around bad idea. JMHO.

Except I have been told that it's not he appearance they object to but that it is a fire hazard.

I can visualize that tent flying over the edge of the ship and sailing off into the breeze. I'd LMAO if I saw that!

Wouldn't that be funny! :D Alarms go off, a general announcement for man overboard. Forget whale or dolphin watching off the side of the ship. Can you just imagine a tent blowing by next to you while sitting at the pool.

Wouldn't that be funny! :D Alarms go off, a general announcement for man overboard. Forget whale or dolphin watching off the side of the ship. Can you just imagine a tent blowing by next to you while sitting at the pool.

Especially if there's somebody in it. ;)

I amazed that this post has gone on as long as it has! Of course,my response is contributing to its' staying power.

When I read a post such as this one ,or the one that asked about lighting citronella candles on a balcony to repel insects, I question if the posters posing the questions are asking such questions for legitimate reasons or if they are starting a thread to see what responses they may get to such questions.

Apparently,the OP who is concerned about coverage on a balcony, could have questioned whoever booked the cabin as to how much exposure the balcony actually had. Then,the OP could have chosen a balcony to suit their needs.

For example,on many Princess ships,the Dolphin deck mini-suites are totally exposed.,whereas the cabins on the Caribe deck have partially covered balconies.

My DH and I have found that some pre - cruise research and planning can add to.a more positive cruise experience for us

Apparently,the OP who is concerned about coverage on a balcony, could have questioned whoever booked the cabin as to how much exposure the balcony actually had. Then,the OP could have chosen a balcony to suit their needs.

I read on another thread that the original poster does not have

a current booking -- supporting your original premise.

Guys! This was a serious question when I started the thread! I'd spent hours trying to research and at the time, only could find these partially covered suites and was desperate for some sort of solution to the partially covered aspect because I want my Alaskan cruise with my aging mother to be perfect.

I was genuine about the question. I swear. People who are one posts wonders don't keep coming back to the thread. I haven't inflamed the conversation.

I laughed about the tent joke.

I even wrote earlier that I admitted it was a bad idea about trying to cover the balcony.

Come on! Give me some credit here - please! If you look at my history, they have all be genuine questions about the Coral.

I just want to give my mom the best cruise possible. I didn't know there were other suites that are more covered until later, when I then started asking about wind on the bump outs, where other mini suites are located.

.....I hope this clears everything up, but then again, maybe you'll think this post is over the top and that I'm just trying to start something.....

I am just looking to understand and figure out how to best plan, prepare, and give my mom a memorable cruise. It will probably be the last one together.

Edited by kingsgirl

Guys! This was a serious question when I started the thread! I'd spent hours trying rrto research and at the time, only could find these partially covered suites and was desperate for some sort of solution to the partially covered aspect because I want my Alaskan cruise with my aging mother to be perfect.

Just keep in mind that no cruise is perfect! Expecting perfection isn't reasonable. However, I'm sure you'll have a fantastic cruise. Don't worry so much, go with the flow, and you'll be surprised how things fall into place.

Have fun!

For example,on many Princess ships,the Dolphin deck mini-suites are totally exposed.,whereas the cabins on the Caribe deck have partially covered balconies.

My DH and I have found that some pre - cruise research and planning can add to.a more positive cruise experience for us

That is what I'm doing. I'm researching and asking questions.

I didn't think about asking about ppl about the coverage because I was already given a website to look at by a guy named Tom who has a lot of research on the Coral and who said the balconies are only partially covered. I was going by that information which was supplied from this forum. I didn't think I needed to re-ask a question as everybody was already going by this information.

Just keep in mind that no cruise is perfect! Expecting perfection isn't reasonable. However, I'm sure you'll have a fantastic cruise. Don't worry so much, go with the flow, and you'll be surprised how things fall into place.

Have fun!

I'll go with the flow when we get there and are on the ship. I don't want to mess up something that could've been a better choice before though. Stress now, enjoy later.

Many people read the thread title and then comment without ever reading the thread. This title is kind of catchy, so i

I only read what the OP asked, she asked specifically about covering the opening with a lightweight material. Frankly, I don't see any way the OP can cover the opening from the top of the above balcony deck down to the her railing. It would obstruct views from above and from each cabin on opposite sides. The OP would be better off booking a balcony above the Caribe which would be fully covered. We had a cabin on the Baja on the Ruby and liked the privacy. We normally book a Carible deck balcony.

I'm looking for ways to cover an uncovered mini suite balcony on Coral's Caribe deck.

Let's brain storm how you could do this.

I'm thinking of a light weight and waterproof material that can be stung from the part that is partially covered to each balcony divider with those temporary hangers meant for walls in your house that peel off when you're finished with them?

I'm trying to think of an idea for a Caribe deck mini suite situation on the Coral where it's only partially covered at best.

It's an Alaskan cruise so we'd expect it to rain.

[Previous options were other rooms at the front or aft of the ship that are covered. I expect wind and more pitch at the front and have read a few threads about vibrations in the back. Aft rooms may be too far of a walk for my Mom as well.

We're trying to solve this problem because we want the extra space the couch area provides as we often spent a lot of time in the cabin having cookies and hot chocolate and watched the scenery go by. We'd like to do that again.]

Any help or suggestions?

Planning for perfect usually doesn't work, and make you a nervous wreck and then you will get crabby and nobody will have fun! Alaska can be cool and rainy or sunny and hot. We have been there 4 times and had all kinds of weather... Bring a raincoat or poncho, umbrella and shoes that can get wet. Then plan to have the best time ever! Relax... Sometimes the bumps in the road could be the most memorable times!

To the OP, I am sorry I am laughing, I know (I think) you were serious about the "tarp". But, the only thing that came to my mind was you holding the corners trying to tie it to the dividers and there you go parasailing away.....sorry. If shade and comfort are a big thing for you, save money book an inside cabin and every morning get a chair and table under the overhang by the pool, shade, no wind, and excellent views.

To the OP, I am sorry I am laughing, I know (I think) you were serious about the "tarp". But, the only thing that came to my mind was you holding the corners trying to tie it to the dividers and there you go parasailing away.....sorry. If shade and comfort are a big thing for you, save money book an inside cabin and every morning get a chair and table under the overhang by the pool, shade, no wind, and excellent views.

That would be pretty hilarious! [emoji4]

need to apoligise to Kingsgirl,just seemed a good opportunity,to spread some mirth.

I think she's figured out already that her idea wasn't as well thought through as she thought it was. I don't think she took your comment as mean at this point. She explained her reason, she explained she feels responsible for her group and she knows that we are all laughing with her, not at her.

I think she's figured out already that her idea wasn't as well thought through as she thought it was. I don't think she took your comment as mean at this point. She explained her reason, she explained she feels responsible for her group and she knows that we are all laughing with her, not at her.

Exactly! It was a silly idea and I can appreciate a good joke, even at my expense. [emoji4]