Small staircase in Crows Nest

frankc98376

Nope; starboard is starboard and port is port regardless of which way anyone is or is not facing. Whether port is on your left-hand side may depend on which way you're facing, but one of the specific reasons the terms "starboard" and "port" are used is because they are explicitly NOT relative to facing forward or aft or any other direction.

Facing forward,which side is port? Always on the left. If you turn around you are no longer facing forward and port is no longer on the left. But port will still be the same side of the ship as it was before. ;)

From the Oxford dictionary:

starboard

Pronunciation: /ˈstärbərd/

noun

The side of a ship or aircraft that is on the right when one is facing forward. The opposite of port.

Edited by Boytjie

Yes, if you bring "right" and "left" into it, it helps to know which way you're facing. That's an important reason to use "starboard" and "port" rather than "right" and "left"; because starboard and port, are clearly NOT relative to which way anyone is facing.

If I'm facing aft, starboard is starboard. If I turn to face forward, starboard is still starboard. If I lie down on a weather deck and face Orion's belt, starboard is still starboard. If a group of passengers stand in a circle, facing in toward the center, starboard is still starboard. Port and starboard are definitely NOT relative to any direction that anyone is facing.

It is possible that these stairs are simply emergency exits ;)

That is pretty much what I figured. Just never noticed any signs- just a roped off stairway and a door at the bottom near the gym.

I was told by an officer that the circular stairway from the lido up to Deck 10 was originally intended as part of the Spa- original plan was that the hydro pool room was going to be larger and additional spa area on Observation deck with circular stairway connecting.

Nope; starboard is starboard and port is port regardless of which way anyone is or is not facing. Whether port is on your left-hand side may depend on which way you're facing, but one of the specific reasons the terms "starboard" and "port" are used is because they are explicitly NOT relative to facing forward or aft or any other direction.

Facing forward,which side is port? Always on the left. If you turn around you are no longer facing forward and port is no longer on the left. But port will still be the same side of the ship as it was before. ;)

Wow! We really got off topic. ;)

It just a matter of context. If you're facing aft, port is on your right but on the other hand, port is still the left side of the ship. So, what both of you is saying, is technically correct. :)

I guess they will start using UP DECK and DOWN DECK.... depending on what direction the elevators are going!

Port is always port and starboard is always starboard, no matter if you're facing forward, aft, sideways, up, down, or swimming alongside the ship. This whole "facing forward" thing is something I've only ever heard on cruise ships. I can't fault them though. Most passengers aren't mariners so I guess it's an easy way to describe it.

Port IS always Port, and Starboard IS always Starboard.

You can be on the Port side of the ship and look in any direction... forward, aft, etc.

You can also be on the Starboard side and choose to look forward, aft, etc.

The way things have been phrased in this thread is to state A) Where on the ship are they and B) What direction is the camera aimed in, in order to gain perspective.

LOL! Yes, it will have an Explorations Cafe as do all other VIsta/Sig ships on the Starboard (oh god, here we go :) ) side of the Crow's Nest

Uh oh! :eek: Be careful! I know there's at least one person on this board who gets all crazy if you say the Explorations Café is part of the Crows Nest. ;)

Port IS always Port, and Starboard IS always Starboard.

B) What direction is the camera aimed in, in order to gain perspective.

Camera direction for the TV screen sin cabins does not help in the slightest. At least 50% of TV screens in cabins show looking at the bow and yet you are actually looking AFT!

On ANY ships... the only thing you need to do is look at ANY cabin number. On Starboard all numbers end in odd numbers, port side numbers are all even. Easy.

Edited by Topsham

Camera direction for the TV screen sin cabins does not help in the slightest. At least 50% of TV screens in cabins show looking at the bow and yet you are actually looking AFT!

On ANY ships... the only thing you need to do is look at ANY cabin number. On Starboard all numbers end in odd numbers, port side numbers are all even. Easy.

Not sure what the relevance was to what you quoted... I'm not referring to the bow cam... I'm referring to the pictures we discussed, that the photo would be from the Starboard side of the ship and that it is from the viewpoint of facing forward (toward the bow). No talk of TVs came up in any fashion.

Both the Vista and Signature class ships also have a staircase in the same place in the Crow's Nest that goes up to the sun deck. I don't know if it is only for emergencies, but on our last cruise we did use it to go down to the Crow's Nest.

For the sake of shipboard accuracy - port and starboard are always relative to facing forward.
How about "on the starboard side with the picture taker's left shoulder inboard" and "on the port side with the picture taker's right shoulder outboard"? :D

That's true on HAL ships, but not on the Disney Dream. There cabins on each side are numbered sequentially, with those on the starboard side being 500 higher than those on the port side. For example, 5009 is port, 5509 is starboard; 10150 is port, 10650 is starboard, etc.

Both the Vista and Signature class ships also have a staircase in the same place in the Crow's Nest that goes up to the sun deck. I don't know if it is only for emergencies, but on our last cruise we did use it to go down to the Crow's Nest.
It's not marked as emergency only, and I've used it a few times. Edited by jtl513

Not sure what the relevance was to what you quoted... I'm not referring to the bow cam... I'm referring to the pictures we discussed, that the photo would be from the Starboard side of the ship and that it is from the viewpoint of facing forward (toward the bow). No talk of TVs came up in any fashion.

"The way things have been phrased in this thread is to state A) Where on the ship are they and B) What direction is the camera aimed in, in order to gain perspective."

Ah. THAT photo 'camera'. It is looking forward.

That's true on HAL ships, but not on the Disney Dream. There cabins on each side are numbered sequentially, with those on the starboard side being 500 higher than those on the port side. For example, 5009 is port, 5509 is starboard; 10150 is port, 10650 is starboard, etc.

Well, shall we say that on every other NORMAL ship in the work. On NORMAL ships... it works for anything uses numbers... like cabins and lifeboats etc. Starboard ODD. Port EC EVEN

It's not marked as emergency only, and I've used it a few times.

Emergency is the REASON of the stairs. Otherwise you could get blocked if there is a fire in the main stairwell. The Crows Nest and the Gymnasium are the two large spaces where there is no direct access forward of those spaces. Same as the MDR. Upper level you can go right out onto the after end deck. The lower level of the MDR there are a stars way over on the port side how to get out.... not including the large middle stairs.

Well, shall we say that on every other NORMAL ship in the work. On NORMAL ships... it works for anything uses numbers... like cabins and lifeboats etc. Starboard ODD. Port EC EVEN

On the 19 RCI ships whose deck plans I have quick access to (i.e., a 2008 catalog that I saved) all Outside cabins, both port and starboard, are even numbered and all Inside cabins are odd numbered. On two ships the starboard cabins are 500 higher than the opposite port cabins; on ten ships it is the reverse; on seven ships the port cabins are 300 higher than the opposite starboard cabins. l don't know how the lifeboats are numbered.

None of this has to do with the OP's topic of course! :)

Edited by jtl513

On the 19 RCI ships whose deck plans I have quick access to (i.e., a 2008 catalog that I saved) all Outside cabins, both port and starboard, are even numbered and all Inside cabins are odd numbered. On two ships the starboard cabins are 500 higher than the opposite port cabins; on ten ships it is the reverse; on seven ships the port cabins are 300 higher than the opposite starboard cabins. l don't know how the lifeboats are numbered.

None of this has to do with the OP's topic of course! :)

Well, you had better stay with HAL... you won't get lost! For the boat... don't worry about the number... just look for the Captain's boat!

The way things have been phrased in this thread is to state A) Where on the ship are they and B) What direction is the camera aimed in, in order to gain perspective.

Despite other disagreements we have had, I am glad that someone else has seen my point!

But I don't think it's a camera but an artist's sketch. But we are in agreement about what LAFFNVEGAS and jtl513 meant!

Hallelujah! (Even if we are still in Lent!() :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app