Having a packing panic-someone help

Laurba99

We'll bring some onboard, something prepackaged. Onboard it's usually extremely expensive.

We've also bought things in the local supermarkets in port. Found wonderful things this way.

FYI. No fruit etc can be brought onshore. But cereal boxes can.

Edited by SadieN

It's been 13 yrs since I've been on a 7 night cruise and first packing for my child too. I can't figure out how to fit everything- in my mind I need a day and night outfit for each day

This is a male response.

Why? Nobody cares what you look like or if you wear the same outfit for several days or more. Also, you won't see anyone on the ship ever again so if they do not like the way you look - who cares. Can I also assume that you probably have matching shoes for each outfit. Finally, if stuff does not match it makes no difference.

You need maybe 2 or 3 outfits and 3 pair of shoes and that should do it.

DON

My experience is that mom, dad, and child each check the largest suitcase the airline will allow. Also each person takes a carry-on and in addition mom carries a large purse. Either gold or silver shoes will go with all evening outfits. We usually have some snacks with us, primarily for the airline travel but the left overs may be eaten on the ship. Take some over the counter meds. Nasal congestion occurs frequently with children.

Have a great trip

Wow where do you buy those bags?? I love your advice! my baby is now 8.5 and so tall so his clothes are not very little. He wears a 6 men's shoe lol and is almost 4'7 but yeah he's our baby [emoji5]

You can get Spacesaver bags at places like Target, Walmart, etc., but I find getting large ziplock type bags are cheaper. You roll up each item and place in bag, but keep space free near the top...and the roll up the bag to remove the excess air before closing.

The caveat is if you're flying as it's easy to go over the airline weight limit.

Do you bring a lot of snacks from

Home for your kids or is there a (doubt this) inexpensive shop onboard to get pretzels, goldfish etc (need it for an all day excursion )

As Sadie says, expect a markup for any items you get in the on board store (and you would have to remember to go when they're open as they close for port stays). You can get a box of small packets of Goldfish, other snacks that are factory sealed for taking into port at grocery stores. If you're flying, get in a trip to the store the day before (one of the many reasons to get to your embarkation city a day early) and you can stock up.

So wish I could do that. I'm not thin enough and it's not a vanity thing. I'd be in pain!

I know what you mean. I cannot stand to be in a swimsuit all day. I'm pretty thin but not up top, and I wear a halter suit for after a few hours my neck and shoulders are killing me! I only get in my suit if I know I'm going in the water right then, and if on an excursion, I just have to deal with wearing one all day.

Do you bring a lot of snacks from

Home for your kids or is there a (doubt this) inexpensive shop onboard to get pretzels, goldfish etc (need it for an all day excursion )

At the buffet on the ship at breakfast there will be small boxes of cereal. You can get as many as you want and bring those off the ship, just make sure they are sealed. I'm pretty sure everything else on the ship you can't bring off since it's not factory sealed. Yogurt is, but you can't fridge it with you.

You can get Spacesaver bags at places like Target' date=' Walmart, etc., but I find getting large ziplock type bags are cheaper. You roll up each item and place in bag, but keep space free near the top...and the roll up the bag to remove the excess air before closing.

The caveat is if you're flying as it's easy to go over the airline weight limit.

As Sadie says, expect a markup for any items you get in the on board store (and you would have to remember to go when they're open as they close for port stays). You can get a box of small packets of Goldfish, other snacks that are factory sealed for taking into port at grocery stores. If you're flying, get in a trip to the store the day before (one of the many reasons to get to your embarkation city a day early) and you can stock up.[/quote']

I am concerned about the weight of the bag. I guess I could estimate by holding it when I'm On the scale? [emoji5]

Yeah, way too much. On Sea days, I would wear my swimsuit and cover up, (actually did that for St Thomas too when we went to a beach). I packed 2 swimsuits. So I changed in the evening, then wore that same outfit a few days later.

I think I packed 4 capri's, 5 day shirts, and a couple nicer tops to match the 1 skirt, and 1 dress that I didn't wear. I tend to wear either neutral or black so it all intermingles and matches. We were on Norwegian too so that helps, you don't have to dress up for dinner really. Plus I wore jeans to and from the airport. I had 4 pairs of shoes, tennis shoes for traveling, 1 black pair of sandals, 1 gold/neutral sandal, 1 sport sandal for excursions. Oh, and pack a light sweater, sometimes the restaurants are chilly.

And no to the hairdryer. Used the cabin one, it worked fine. But I am not super picky with my hair.

We are on Allure but seems similar on all ships now. I packed a few capris

For day that I wear as shorts and some nicer ones for night all I need to add is more shirts for day (and some casual evenings) I do need to throw in one thin black sweater for dining room in case it's cold. Other than that done!

Didn't do dryer so just bringing brush for their dryer and my flat iron which doesn't take up too much space but will make my thick

Hair look normal after a crappy blow dry!

Pack what you think you will need. If you aren't bound by luggage fees, then don't worry too much! Everyone is different.

I did tend to wear the same causal cover-up/dress for multiple days so I usually come home with 2 unworn "day" outfits. I found that my sons wore swim suits for half a day so their outfit for breakfast or afternoon activities was usually fine being worn again the next day! My boys had the most unworn clothes out of all of us. I also like taking lightweight shirts that pack easily so they don't take up as much room. Shoes, well - I like shoes and I have to switch out or my feet hurt! So I take 2 casual sandals that also match my dinner outfits. One beach/pool shoe and a different pair for short excursions (all terrain or water shoes)

Good luck - but don't doubt your self too much. Our last cruise for 5 people and a 3 day stay in Orlando prior to the cruise was a nightmare to pack for! we did it, 7 bags for 5 people but we fly southwest and get 2 bags free! We also took snorkel gear so that was a lot of one bag.

Thanks! I keep adding a few things. I know I forgot a long sleeve black sweater and some light long sleeve tops but I think I'm done (and there should be extra room in my sons bag so I should zip mine soon and be done!

Cheaper than laundry sheets... fold a small/thin/old washcloth into a ziplock bag, and add liquid laundry detergent. Only add as much as the cloth can soak up, so it doesn't leak.

Use it to scrub/pre-treat any stains, or to get soap right on the 'stinky parts' of your sink-laundry. Or, toss right in with the machine-laundry.

Woolite is a great option, it doesn't suds as much and rinses more easily, and is friendly to swimwear or delicate items.

Thanks! I keep adding a few things. I know I forgot a long sleeve black sweater and some light long sleeve tops but I think I'm done (and there should be extra room in my sons bag so I should zip mine soon and be done!

You will not need any long sleeve tops, just one light long sleeved black sweater. BTW, if you are struggling to find a swimsuit that is supportive, check out Lane Bryant's website - they have great swimsuits with bra tops that are sized to your bra size 36C to 46DDD. They are fully adjustable in the band and also the straps, just a like a bra and offer excellent support.

• 2 weeks later...
This is a male response.

Why? Nobody cares what you look like or if you wear the same outfit for several days or more. Also, you won't see anyone on the ship ever again so if they do not like the way you look - who cares. Can I also assume that you probably have matching shoes for each outfit. Finally, if stuff does not match it makes no difference.

You need maybe 2 or 3 outfits and 3 pair of shoes and that should do it.

DON

I would have been so miserable if I had only packed 2-3 outfits for a seven night cruise! :) I was happy with everything I brought considering we didn't do laundry I needed all of it.(and I still had to repeat Capri pants and some tops) We were really active by day and wanted to be fresh for night time so there was no way I could only pack a few things. I only brought one pair of flat flip flops that I could have left home but all the rest I wore.

Gosh you have been given great advice....I can go farther and say some things I wear 3 times...at night you only have things for a few hours and I don't mind wearing it a few times if it's not dirty by me spilling something on it....I mix things up so the outfits look different and if I need to i will wash clothes...ps. You shower at least twice a day right?

Gosh you have been given great advice....I can go farther and say some things I wear 3 times...at night you only have things for a few hours and I don't mind wearing it a few times if it's not dirty by me spilling something on it....I mix things up so the outfits look different and if I need to i will wash clothes...ps. You shower at least twice a day right?

Probably three lol. [emoji847]

My daughter is 22 and I still bring snacks from home for both of us. Candy and snacks are ridiculously expensive on the ship. Bring a couple of of things that he loves. There is always ice cream as a fall back.

You know, unless you're getting super sweaty or spill food or wine, you CAN wear your evening clothes at least twice. You can wear shorts, pants, or jeans, depending on the color, at least 3 times. One pair of dressy shoes, a pair of sandals or flip-flops if you wear them (I don't, I don't wear open shoes at all), and a pair of good walking shoes are all that you need. Think double duty for some things-a pair of nice slacks can be worn during the day with a casual top, and in the evening with something dressier. I also have a black skirt that I've had for years; it goes with me almost every time I travel, because it is beautiful and classic and high quality and I can put a wide variety of tops with it, and go from cute flats to dressy heels.

A good way to save space is to put your undies and/or socks in your shoes. I have travel sizes of almost every toiletry we use, and a toiletry bag I keep it all in.

My husband is the opposite of most of yours, it seems. He wants to bring EVERYTHING; I want to bring nothing. So, I do the packing and several times I have needed to buy things on vacation.

• 3 weeks later...

We've gotten in the habit of bringing clothing items that we aren't attached too...example t-shirts. It seems we're always getting shirts from various organizations, races, etc. we save them up, use them on vacation and dispose of them. We also do this with other clothing items...we never come home with dirty undergarments or pajamas. It works for us.

With these items gone .... it opens up more space in the suitcase for souvenirs.

I have 3 pr dress slacks (wear twice unless I spill my food)

3-4 dressy tops

3 pr daytime slacks

4 tops

1 pr shorts

1 bathingsuit /cover up

1 pr of jeans to wear there & back/long sleeve top

1 pr dress sandals for evening

1 pr sandals for day wear

1 pr walking shoes which I wear on the plane

Just packed for a 3 week cruise & will do laundry as needed

I love your packing list, it will give me a guide line for oiur upcoming Rockies adventure and Alaska cruise next month (think we met last year on Marina)

I am so glad I started this thread as it had been 13 years since I was on a 7 night cruise and I so needed the advice and now as luck would have it I am going on another seven night in April! Long ways away but still so fun to plan and think about it. New island stop for me too at Tortola. I will be referring back and this time I may do some laundry. I have to look into how Disney handles laundry and cost.