Purchase massages in advance or onboard?

I am booked on Anthem for November 10, 2016.

I intend on booking a massage(s). Is there any price or cost advantage to purchasing the massages online in advance, or is it more advantageous to purchase them onboard?

I don't have any experience on Quantum-class ships, but this is what I've seen on others.

Sometimes the spa also has boarding day specials. Examples include:

• Booking and scheduling a "signature massage" on boarding day makes you eligible for an extra 25 minutes free
  • Something they call their 10/20/30 promotion; booking three "signature spa services" as a package allows you to receive 10% off the first treatment, 20% off the second, and 30% off the third treatment.

Examples of their "signature" massage treatments include bamboo massage and hot stone massage, but not their regular/lower-end massage treatments.

In my experience you can find out about the specials during their free tour on boarding day (there's often a draw with prizes, must be present to win), or they have a sign/whiteboard up outside the spa entrance with specials advertised. The daily Cruise Compass may also promote spa specials available for the day.

They usually have spa promos on port days.

Have never pre-booked a spa treatment before, but noticed on port days pricing is discounted when pre-booking. Seems to go back to regular price about 30 minutes before we leave port. I assume this is the same as the "spa promo"?

Have never pre-booked a spa treatment before, but noticed on port days pricing is discounted when pre-booking. Seems to go back to regular price about 30 minutes before we leave port. I assume this is the same as the "spa promo"?

I've not seen discounts for port days when pre-booking, but if so, then it could be the same. However, I don't know if the discount would be the same on board as pre-cruise.

DW and I had a couples massage recently on the Adventure. We did it during a port day and there were many promos so we got a nice discount for waiting to book. I'd advise you to wait and check each day for a flyer in your Daily Compass or simply go by the Spa and they will have specials listed outside on a table.

I've not seen discounts for port days when pre-booking, but if so, then it could be the same. However, I don't know if the discount would be the same on board as pre-cruise.

For our May 29th sailing on FoS. $20 cheaper for a 75 min massage while in port if pre-booked.

Planner.jpg.de2cc085d6110740246d013b03d53e28.jpg

For our May 29th sailing on FoS. $20 cheaper for a 75 min massage while in port if pre-booked.

Do you mean it was $20 cheaper on a port day pre-booked than the same treatment on a sea day pre-booked?

Or do you mean that it was $20 cheaper on a port day pre-booked than the same treatment on a port day, purchased on board the ship?

Do you mean it was $20 cheaper on a port day pre-booked than the same treatment on a sea day pre-booked?

Or do you mean that it was $20 cheaper on a port day pre-booked than the same treatment on a port day, purchased on board the ship?

I know the image I attached may be too small.....we are in port on Day 4 from 11A-7P. Pricing for pre-booked available time slots for that day for a 75 minute Swedish massage:

8 AM - $165

9:30 AM - $165

12 PM - $149

1:30 PM - $149

3 PM - $149

4:30 PM - $149

So it appears to be 10% cheaper to pre-book during port hours than to pre-book during non-port hours. It has not been this way on previous sailings.

I know the image I attached may be too small.....we are in port on Day 4 from 11A-7P. Pricing for pre-booked available time slots for that day for a 75 minute Swedish massage:

8 AM - $165

9:30 AM - $165

12 PM - $149

1:30 PM - $149

3 PM - $149

4:30 PM - $149

So it appears to be 10% cheaper to pre-book during port hours than to pre-book during non-port hours. It has not been this way on previous sailings.

Thanks for the explanation. That's the first time I've seen different prices on the website based on port/sea day.

I still can't answer the OP question as to whether it's less expensive to book onboard.

I always look for the port day promo specials, because I really enjoy some of their treatments, but the prices get so ridiculous.

I can't think of one cruise where there hasn't been a promo offered and so I would always wait until we board. I've even asked at the spa check in desk on the first or second day if we could expect any promos, and they have almost always been helpful in telling me what would be offered that week. Generally these promos are limited to the more basic massages and facials, and usually in some sort of combo with the option to add hot stones or those torturing thai sticks.

If you are looking at one of their truly signature services - like some special super duper seaweed wrap, body exfoliating whatchamacallit - then there will likely be no promo on board and it will make no difference in price to book ahead, and then you are assured of getting the day and time you want.