panama canal books

oilsand

Will be transiting the canal in near future and need a suggestions of a good book. Have read path between the seas in the past but looking for others

Here are the books I have on my Kindle

Panama Canal by Cruise ship by Anne Vipond

Cruising the Panama Canal by Richard Detrich

Cruising Panama's Canal by Al & Sunny Lockwood

Even though you have already read McCullough's book, there are a couple others worth mentioning. Kamloops mentioned Cruising the PC by Richard Detrich, this book explains more of the operation as to how it pertains to your transit rather than from a historical standpoint. It is very helpful in giving a better idea of what is involved in your transit of the Canal. There are various editions of this book around, the earlier editions dealt with either a Northbound or a Southbound transit. I believe Richard's most recent edition is "Panama Canal Day" from 2014.

Another Canal book I enjoyed was Panama Fever by Matthew Parker. If you would really like to dig deep into the Canal (pun intended:)) an offering by Ron Armstrong "The Panama Canal, The Invisible Wonder of the World." This book is a selection of photographs taken from George Goethals' collection at West Point and as you might expect deals with Canal construction photos. Puts in perspective what an enormous task it was then, let alone today. The book may be a little hard to find, so here is the website.

http://theinvisiblewonder.com/books.htm

• 1 month later...

I'm not the OP but want to thank you all for the suggestions above. My spouse and I have just booked our first Panama Canal transit (soooo excited), and it's great to see this list of books in addition to Path Between the Seas, which I put on my Kindle yesterday. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Here are the books I have on my Kindle

Panama Canal by Cruise ship by Anne Vipond

Cruising the Panama Canal by Richard Detrich

Cruising Panama's Canal by Al & Sunny Lockwood

Do you have a favorite out of these? If so, why?