A review of Sitka, Alaska...Port tips

nursemom2

The weather in Sitka is so iffy, but I have many beautiful pictures even in the rain!

The harbor walk is so nice and you end up in Totem park, which a fabulous place for pictures. The museum will have native demonstrations of Totem carving, and different crafts. Even a movie. It is free and a 10 min walk from downtown.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Have a look here. If you are "OSD", that seems to mean "Old Sitka Dock", so you'd be docked. I think.

http://claalaska.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Sitka-SIT-2016.pdf

Thanks for the quick reply. I just checked our itinerary. It shows we are in Sitka on August 12. On the pdf it says the Maasdam is 2BR. Any idea what 2BR means?

Too late to edit. Last year on the 14 day trip on Statendam, we tendered. Of course that doesn't predict whether you will dock or tender, but same itin, same size of ship.

Re your new question. I found this, looks like you will be at anchor

http://claalaska.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Berth-Codes-1.pdf

The tender ride isn't very long, if that is of concern. The anchorage area is VERY attractive, too.

Edited by CowPrincess

We will be on HAL Maasdam in August. Is there any way of knowing ahead of time whether we will be docked or go ashore by tender?

All the HAL ships I've seen have been tendering. We can see the ships from my Sons living room window!

All the HAL ships I've seen have been tendering. We can see the ships from my Sons living room window!

You can see the ships from your son's living room window? Wow, that must be a wonderful view. He is so lucky!

I know some people don't enjoy tendering but DW and I enjoy it. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Have a look here. If you are "OSD", that seems to mean "Old Sitka Dock", so you'd be docked. I think.

http://claalaska.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Sitka-SIT-2016.pdf

I see my cruise ship, Star Princess shows OSD but everything from Princess say's they are tendering?

Any clue's, I called Princess and they said tendering.

framer

I see my cruise ship, Star Princess shows OSD but everything from Princess say's they are tendering?

Any clue's, I called Princess and they said tendering.

framer

Usually only the small island cruise ships dock....any major ship has to tender.