Back from Freedom of the Seas 3/20/16

pedirn

We have just returned from the Freedom of the Seas 3/20/16 sailing. This cruise was our return to RCCL after a 9 year abscence. Our views are just that....ours. But I thought we would share there with others as they may have questions regarding this cruise. We were a family group of 9 with four balcony cabins. Six of our group were Diamond members. Two were Gold. And we had one newbie.

We arrived at Port Canaveral around 11:30, dropped off the luggage and then park in the parking garage. Parking cost $120 for the week. We prefer the convience of parking there even though we could have parked for less elsewhere. Check in went quickly and we were on board in less than 30 minutes. Rooms were not ready until 1:30 but we had our first drink by 12:49. Great way to start a vacation, A couple of my children bought drink packages and I can report that Diamond members receive a 30% discount off the cost.

We missed Coco Cay this sailing as it was unsafe to tender. This allowed us to arrive early in St Thomas. Taxis in St Thomas are $4 per person each way to the downtown area. We had not planned on going to the center of St Thomas but started walking as we felt we needed to burn off some of the calories we had been ingesting. FYI it is 2 miles into the center of the downtown area. It was an easy walk with sidewalks available the full route.

St Maarten was also a walk into to town for us. It was only a 15 minute walk fro the port shops. again sidewalks the full route. For those who prefer not to walk it is $7 per person round trip for the water taxi or $6 per person for a land taxi.

Food is always a subjective area. I will say there were items we enjoyed and others not so much. Pizza was fair but I am comparing it to Princess pizza which we have found to be the best we have ever had on out sailings. What did bother us us was the manner in which meals were served. We had fixed time dining at 5:30 at table 411. Never in 46 cruises have we ever been served the way we experienced this week. We as typical ordered appetizers, soup and/or salad, entrees and deserts Appetizers, soup, salad were all served at the same time. So imagine a table for nine with two or three plates in front of each person. It felt like the food was thrown at us. Entrees followed and then desert. Fresh pepper was also hard to get. Breakfast in the Windjammer was much better than in the dining room. Out of the three mornings we had breakfast in the dining room, none of them were served without mistakes in the orders. After the manner of service our second biggest complaint about food was the temperature. Nothing was ever hot and often not even lukewarm.

We had one wakeful night as around 4AM they announced a missing passenger. Announced again about 15 minutes later. Another 15 minutes later there was a full announcement this time into the cabins. Woke everyone up. Turns out "Bryce" was spending the evening in someone else's cabin....or at least that is what the staff reported.

We did have the best room attendant, Snezara Bakic, we can ever remember, She was right on top of everything and did all her job required and more to make our cruise wonderful.

Bar service was good. It didn't seem to make a difference if you were using the drink package or paying. Always able to find a server/bartender ready to help. If you go on the Freedom, go see Carl or Gary in the Olive or Twist lounge (Crown lounge for us old timers). They really made our trip fun. Great guys who poured great drinks, Only disappointment was I was not able to get a key lime martini on the ship.

Disembarkation was a breeze. We had green 4 with a scheduled time to leave at 7:45. We were called at 7:44. All nine of us were off the ship, had retrieved our luggage and been orocessed through customs and packing the cars by 8:05.

Any questions you might have I will try and answer. Did two comedian shows. Stayed through the first one but not impressed. Second one we left after 10 minutes. Didn't do any production shows.

Edited by pedirn

Thanks for the update. We sail April 3rd. What were your formal nights? Thanks

Good question. I have nights 2 and 6 for the Eastern itinerary, and would love a recent confirmation.

We did not specifically ask waiter to serve differently as all tables around us were being served in the same manner. The waiter really wasn't that visible. Took our orders, served food and that is about it. Never asked if everything was okay as we are used too. The head waiter did visit us and we mentioned it but nothing changed so not sure if this is a RCCL standard now. Just know we didn't care for it.

As for discounts on drink packages I cannot remember. I seem to remember a form listing all packages and then discount amounts listed on the bottom. My girls bought the premium package and are diamond members.

Formal nights were Monday and Friday.

One thing of interest I didn't mention and was unaware of before sailing is the drinking age remains at 21 but the gambling age is now 18.

... One thing of interest I didn't mention and was unaware of before sailing is the drinking age remains at 21 but the gambling age is now 18.

True, and the gambling age goes up to 21 on Alaska cruises.

We did not specifically ask waiter to serve differently as all tables around us were being served in the same manner. The waiter really wasn't that visible. Took our orders, served food and that is about it. Never asked if everything was okay as we are used too. The head waiter did visit us and we mentioned it but nothing changed so not sure if this is a RCCL standard now. Just know we didn't care for it.

As for discounts on drink packages I cannot remember. I seem to remember a form listing all packages and then discount amounts listed on the bottom. My girls bought the premium package and are diamond members.

Formal nights were Monday and Friday.

One thing of interest I didn't mention and was unaware of before sailing is the drinking age remains at 21 but the gambling age is now 18.

The only thing I can think of with the bringing of appetizers at the same time is that your table and or others around you showed up late. Waiters were only trying to catch up.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The only thing I can think of with the bringing of appetizers at the same time is that your table and or others around you showed up late. Waiters were only trying to catch up.

Well we were on time but can't answer for those tables around us.

Formal nights are Monday and Friday. It's becoming outdated. There are guys in shorts and ballcaps. Too bad.

Did not see shorts on formal night but did see two gentlemen in t-shirts that looked like a formal tux. One did have a leather jacket on with his. We did see shorts on other nights. I expect them the first night due to delays in luggage (we received ours after 8PM). Strangely we did see a young boy around 10 years of age turned away from dining room at breakfast as he was wearing a tank top.

Did not see shorts on formal night but did see two gentlemen in t-shirts that looked like a formal tux. One did have a leather jacket on with his. We did see shorts on other nights. I expect them the first night due to delays in luggage (we received ours after 8PM). Strangely we did see a young boy around 10 years of age turned away from dining room at breakfast as he was wearing a tank top.

Well, we told our MDR waiter that we didn't pack any formal gear, she told us that even jeans and "just any nice shirt" would be OK for the MDR on Formal nights. I too vote for getting rid of formal nights altogether, I hear Quantum class has it done quite nicely (i.e. no formal nights, but a single restaurant that always requires proper formal wear).

Edit: our MDR waiter and the assistant waiter were pretty good, however the food.. my significant other did note that lukewarm was sometimes the case and most times the dishes themselves didn't... how should I phrase this.. didn't meet even Windjammer level of variety. I mean for example most of the pasta dishes in the MDR dinners are super simple and a little bit of more to the presentation or the number of components on the dishes would mean a lot.

Edited by kopelo

Thanks for all the info! We are taking this cruise May 15th. Do you remember the menu each night? We're trying to do some scheduling and would like to know the menu order from a recent cruise (i.e. which night's were Mojo, Saffron, Pimiento, Shiitake, Basil, Jasmine and Pomodoro). The info on formal nights is very helpful!

We were on the same cruise. We also had funky service at dinner, 5:30 seating. Our assistant was new and the server was more and more annoyed with her (obviously so, even vocally one night) each night.

We aren't home yet and I don't feel like unearthing the Compasses right now for menu info but I will have it. As a vegetarian I am sick and tired of the menus, though.

We were on this cruise too. We also had men and boys told to go to room and change from tank tops for MDR breakfast. We enjoyed most of the food but agree it neede to be served hotter.

NCSU#1

Day 1-Mojo menu

Day 2-Saffron menu

Day3-Pimento menu

Day 4-Basil

Day 5-Pomodoro

Day 6-Jasmine

Day 7-****ake

My wife and I will be on board the freedom of the seas on November 12th. Can you tell me if they have a broadway musical on Freedom like they do on Oasis and Allure...Hairspray, Chicago, Mama Mia etc...thank you.

steve

No real Broadway musical, but a production show called Marquee.