Independence Voom Internet

We are on Indy in just over 6 weeks time and I have been following the forum with the Voom updates with the recent Freedom Voom upgrade. I read a recent thread that some work has started on Indy last week, but the author wasn't sure what it was ?

Just wondered if anybody has further news about Indy and whether anything will be completed before she leaves for Europe on the 1st May ?

We are on Indy in just over 6 weeks time and I have been following the forum with the Voom updates with the recent Freedom Voom upgrade. I read a recent thread that some work has started on Indy last week, but the author wasn't sure what it was ?

Just wondered if anybody has further news about Indy and whether anything will be completed before she leaves for Europe on the 1st May ?

Have not heard anything with regard to Indy and Voom. Royal had said that all ships would have Voom by the summer, but has not ever released a ship by ship schedule.

Just got an email back from RCI :-

"Thank you for your email regarding our internet services.

We still do not have an established date when we will launch VOOM on

Independence of the Seas; however, it is something we are currently

conducting to have. Currently, with the installation of pervasive Wi-Fi,

you are no longer confined to a specific location on the ship to have

connectivity. You can now stay connected from the comfort of your own

stateroom, while you lounge by the pool and even while having a drink at

the Schooner Bar. Daily and unlimited internet packages are available for

purchase onboard. The cost is $20 per device per day plus 50% off your

second device".

... however, it is something we are currently conducting to have. ....

Thanks for reporting back. I don't understand this phrase, it almost looks like an autocorrect to me.

Edited by clarea

That's what i thought. I was going to email them back and ask about their grammar. But i thought that was being a bit pedantic 😊

I agree. I suspect they either don't know anything about the schedule or don't want it to be public, but wanted to give a courtesy reply to your request.

Got another message from RCI on Messenger which adds to my confusion?

"Hi Mark, we don't provide luggage tags on request anymore, please print them out from your e-doc. VOOM will be available when you come onboard in May".

Did you request luggage tags?

My husband and I will be on the Indy at the same time as you and your wife, we are close neighbours from Wickersley nr Rotherham,

This is our 4th time on the Indy and we love her.

My husband and I will be on the Indy at the same time as you and your wife, we are close neighbours from Wickersley nr Rotherham,

This is our 4th time on the Indy and we love her.

Also, there is a roll call on Cruise Critic, if you look under Royal Caribbean Meet & Mingles and this sail date.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mark. It looks like there is VOOM for our transatlantic voyage leaving on May 1. If you go to your RC website, you can order either the regular VOOM or the streaming VOOM at 30% off, today. It is $10 per day for regular, and $13 per day for streaming.

Just checked out the RCI online booking page and sure enough Voom internet will be available for our cruise on the 14th May 2016.

They are calling it VOOM, but I suspect it will not be the fast version that is on Oasis and Quantum class.

• 1 month later...
Is the $10 charge for 1 day or 24 hrs? Once you log on are you charged for 1 day or can you can you log on multiple times over a week say and use your 24hrs?

There is no "per minute" charging anymore. The least you can purchase is one 24-hour period of unlimited internet. In other words, your internet access ends 24 hours after you purchase.