Detailed Photo Review of 3/14/16 Celebrity Equinox 11 Night Cruise

deladane

Oh wow, good to know!! We should try to do that... I'm always happy to spend OBC ;) hehe

Celebrity has also been known to read these posts -- so very nice when they chime in to address a complaint, a minor infraction or a compliment they see posted here on CC.

26449917712_8e17549fdc_c.jpg

Bamboo tree

25698255263_d3c8e10b28_c.jpg

Another blue heron walking along the shore

26301011665_35f4417f43_c.jpg

We spent about 45 minutes traveling out along the canal, and then we turned around to head back towards the dock.

25698270533_843c19a59b_c.jpg

For the ride out, we were moving slowly so we could search for the animals, but on the ride back, we picked up the pace. Here's a video of us speeding along the canal. We were chasing the boat ahead of us!

[YOUTUBE]di5PXSkxs6w[/YOUTUBE]

Overall, the Tortuguero Canal was an interesting experience, but we didn't see nearly as many animals as I was expecting. Our guide said we didn't see any sloths because they only come out when it rains. We were back at the dock by 3:30pm, and Elvis was waiting to take us the 20 minute drive back to the port. On the way, he said he would take us shopping so J could continue his search for a San Jose t-shirt, but instead he just pointed out one store a block away from the port entrance. I guess he decided that the tour was already 1 hour longer than it was supposed to be and he just wanted to go home? We paid Elvis and said our goodbyes, then walked a block back to that store to do some shopping. They had lots of souvenirs and tchotchkes but sadly no San Jose t-shirts for J. I found a really interesting souvenir that I had never seen before- it was a feather with a hand-painted sloth, matted and framed in a small wood frame. I liked that it was handmade and not mass-produced in a factory in China haha

26301000655_163fb076e6_c.jpg

Celebrity has also been known to read these posts -- so very nice when they chime in to address a complaint, a minor infraction or a compliment they see posted here on CC.

Not in quite a while. They will answer some general questions by quoting their website.

We then walked across the street, showed our seapass cards, and entered the port gate. Right after we got through the gate, there was a market set up with lots of vendors selling souvenirs. The prices inside the port were similar to what we saw at that one store, so you could probably just skip the stores and go straight to the port market. We looked around but didn't see anything we wanted, so we headed back to the ship.

26275044006_793904a0c9_c.jpg

Notice how there was a truck and a car driving through behind us? You need to watch where you are walking in this port as there isn't a safe sidewalk.

26208572992_485a4d7e50_c.jpg

26028138910_a1e81e357c_c.jpg

25696129214_da5f47110b_c.jpg

We were back on the ship by 4:30pm, so we went back to the cabin and got ready for the evening. Now that I had upgraded to the premium beverage package, I was eager to work my way through the drinks list at the Martini Bar! We tried a few drinks before going to the dining room for dinner (the Lycheetini was one of my favorites!!)

26028792320_2b6d140ec9_c.jpg

One of our favorite parts of the Martini Bar was how entertaining and talented the bartenders were! Yopi was our favorite, and he always had a fun way of presenting our drinks. Last night, he served my drink balanced on his wrist! This was what he had in store for us tonight:

[YOUTUBE]6P-tnCECtDM[/YOUTUBE]

26301009065_6a60cf250e_c.jpg

26275060766_361b87264b_c.jpg

Sail away was at 7pm tonight, so we watched the lights of Puerto Limon fade into the distance as we enjoyed another lovely dinner with Arsapha and Fredys.

25696145114_d95c6d70a7_c.jpg

Dinner menu

26275060916_79eab93650_c.jpg

Spiced Duck Rillettes Quenelle (I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but Celebrity likes to puree a lot of their appetizers.... there is no indication that the food will be pureed until it arrives on your table, but we noticed this trend several nights in a row. Luckily the food all tasted delicious!)

25696783814_9c19385c18_c.jpg

Chicory Apple Pear Salad

26301655595_a4b709c42e_c.jpg

I'm not sure if it was because of the late sail away time, or because this was a long day in port, but our section in the dining room was nearly empty tonight!

26301650935_de1d1a4e5f_c.jpg

Barolo Braised Beef Short Ribs

25698912563_fc2aceb236_c.jpg

Penne Primavera

25698908743_fcd2be27e8_c.jpg

Dessert Menu

25698908543_2b447cf9fa_c.jpg

Apple Tart Tatin

26235397971_ee6bef25ee_c.jpg

Tonight's show was a comedian magician named Garry Carson. Most of his tricks were more of a joke than magic, but the few magic tricks he actually did were great. He likes to pull people up on stage from the audience, so that also added to the fun of the show.

26235397791_88933612f0_c.jpg

After the show, we were super tired so we went back to the cabin for the night. Unfortunately, that meant that we missed a unique production show called Masque. It was performed in the Grand Foyer, and would have been fun to check it out if it wasn't held after our bedtime! Guess that's something else we'll need to do on our next cruise!!

Up next: Colon, Panama!

I'm not sure if it was because of the late sail away time, or because this was a long day in port, but our section in the dining room was nearly empty tonight!

26301650935_de1d1a4e5f_c.jpg

Barolo Braised Beef Short Ribs

25698912563_fc2aceb236_c.jpg

Penne Primavera

25698908743_fcd2be27e8_c.jpg

Dessert Menu

25698908543_2b447cf9fa_c.jpg

Apple Tart Tatin

26235397971_ee6bef25ee_c.jpg

Tonight's show was a comedian magician named Garry Carson. Most of his tricks were more of a joke than magic, but the few magic tricks he actually did were great. He likes to pull people up on stage from the audience, so that also added to the fun of the show.

26235397791_88933612f0_c.jpg

After the show, we were super tired so we went back to the cabin for the night. Unfortunately, that meant that we missed a unique production show called Masque. It was performed in the Grand Foyer, and would have been fun to check it out if it wasn't held after our bedtime! Guess that's something else we'll need to do on our next cruise!!

Masque was very good. Yes ... be sure to catch it on your next sailing. We made it to very few of the shows but that was one that we did see.

Darn! I was really hoping you youngsters had made it to Masque so us old folks could see what we missed!:rolleyes:

Masque was very good. Yes ... be sure to catch it on your next sailing. We made it to very few of the shows but that was one that we did see.

Darn! I was really hoping you youngsters had made it to Masque so us old folks could see what we missed!:rolleyes:

hahaha I have a sleep schedule like people twice my age ;) I need my 8 hours of sleep or I am not a happy camper, and between all the early morning wake up calls for excursions and being in the sun all day, I rarely make it out past 10pm on cruises. Fingers crossed that I can make it to see Masque (or whatever they do to replace if if this show is no longer being done) on the Eclipse in 2 years! Maybe I should start training for that now... hmmm... hehe

You bring back wonderful memories of our time on the Equinox! Almost caught up~~~~~~~~~~:D

Thanks, you are doing a most fabulous report!

EW

aww, thank you!! :) Glad you are enjoying it!

Our boat guide grabbed a coconut from the water- I wished he had a knife so we could cut it open for a snack... oh well!

25698236153_a50f10f53f_c.jpg

You go all the way to Costa Rica and find a local guide wearing an Old Orchard Beach, Maine shirt? We grew up summering there...that is so funny!

Loving your review. That Paul Gauguin cruise is on my bucket list. If you have already, look up Cruise Critic user 'FamilyGoBoston'. She wrote a great photo review of the PG.

hahaha I have a sleep schedule like people twice my age ;) I need my 8 hours of sleep or I am not a happy camper, and between all the early morning wake up calls for excursions and being in the sun all day, I rarely make it out past 10pm on cruises. Fingers crossed that I can make it to see Masque (or whatever they do to replace if if this show is no longer being done) on the Eclipse in 2 years! Maybe I should start training for that now... hmmm... hehe

Too funny...I skip over posts asking what there is to do late at night on a ship. I have no idea, because I'm usually asleep!

You go all the way to Costa Rica and find a local guide wearing an Old Orchard Beach, Maine shirt? We grew up summering there...that is so funny!

Loving your review. That Paul Gauguin cruise is on my bucket list. If you have already, look up Cruise Critic user 'FamilyGoBoston'. She wrote a great photo review of the PG.

haha you know the funniest part about that tshirt? I went there many times on road trips as a kid (I grew up on Long Island, and can remember driving up to Maine to go to Old Orchard Beach, Ogunquit, and Kennebunkport). I didn't even realize he was wearing that shirt until I looked at my photos when I got home from the cruise! I guess it's because I had my back to him most of the time, so I was listening to him talk but I didn't really see much of him? haha J said he noticed the shirt, but I guess he just didn't think to say anything to me about it!

Thanks for the recommendation about that PG review, but I've actually already read it and taken many notes from it! haha Unfortunately, there aren't nearly as many detailed reviews for PG cruises as there are for Celebrity, so I already found all the good ones and nearly have them memorized lol I do intend to write a detailed review of that cruise because I know it will be helpful for others who take the cruise after us. With only 300 or so guests on any given cruise, and only the one ship doing year-round French Polynesian cruises, it's not surprising that their forum isn't as active as the forums for larger cruise lines, but that does make it hard to do my research!

We did not enjoy Masque very much.. lots of hype which flled up the atrium area and had folks standing along the railings.... lots of waiting time before it actually began.

Consisted of heavily costumed and "masqued enertainers" dancing and prancing, coming down the staircase, which was blocked off..It featured recorded music from Rocky Horror,etc (been there, done that!)

. Entertainers worked hard (A for effort,) but were clearly limited by the mediocre material. We and a number of others left before the end.. Opinions about shows always differ but you really didn't miss much other than a lively "happening" low budget type of event,

Enjoying the review...great photos!

Edited by hcat

(I grew up on Long Island, and can remember driving up to Maine to go to Old Orchard Beach, Ogunquit, and Kennebunkport). I didn't even realize he was wearing that shirt until I looked at my photos when I got home from the cruise! I guess it's because I had my back to him most of the time, so I was listening to him talk but I didn't really see much of him? haha J said he noticed the shirt, but I guess he just didn't think to say anything to me about it!

Thanks for the recommendation about that PG review, but I've actually already read it and taken many notes from it! haha Unfortunately, there aren't nearly as many detailed reviews for PG cruises as there are for Celebrity, so I already found all the good ones and nearly have them memorized lol I do intend to write a detailed review of that cruise because I know it will be helpful for others who take the cruise after us. With only 300 or so guests on any given cruise, and only the one ship doing year-round French Polynesian cruises, it's not surprising that their forum isn't as active as the forums for larger cruise lines, but that does make it hard to do my research!

You grew up on LI? I went to Hofstra, and spent 7 years in Nassau county!!!!

Kathy (FamilyGoBoston) also has her own website: http://www.goseeittravel.com. You might find more there, as well as her contact info to email her- she is great with advice! I'm hoping for PG in 2018 and will look forward to your review! (Also, did you see the Mighty Cruise Ships documentary on the PG? That's great too!)

We did not enjoy Masque very much.. lots of hype which flled up the atrium area and had folks standing along the railings.... lots of waiting time before it actually began.

Consisted of heavily costumed and "masqued enertainers" dancing and prancing, coming down the staircase, which was blocked off..It featured recorded music from Rocky Horror,etc (been there, done that!)

. Entertainers worked hard (A for effort,) but were clearly limited by the mediocre material. We and a number of others left before the end.. Opinions about shows always differ but you really didn't miss much other than a lively "happening" low budget type of event,

Enjoying the review...great photos!

Thanks for sharing! So glad to hear we didn't miss much. It's funny you say they did their best with mediocre material as we felt that way about the production shows. The last night of the cruise, the singers picked a bunch of Broadway songs- they all sounded fantastic and you could tell it was because they were picking songs that they had an attachment to and which suited their voices. Prior to that, we thought they all had mediocre voices based on their performances in the production shows, and I think it may be because they were singing songs they were forced to sing and it just didn't cater to their talents. But yes, all of these opinions are subjective and others may feel differently :)

You grew up on LI? I went to Hofstra, and spent 7 years in Nassau county!!!!

Kathy (FamilyGoBoston) also has her own website: http://www.goseeittravel.com. You might find more there, as well as her contact info to email her- she is great with advice! I'm hoping for PG in 2018 and will look forward to your review! (Also, did you see the Mighty Cruise Ships documentary on the PG? That's great too!)

Oh how funny! I grew up on the south shore of Nassau county and have been to Hofstra many times for expos or school events. Thanks for the info about Kathy's website, I will definitely check that out! Her review was fantastic and offered a ton of helpful info so I imagine her website will be similar :) One thing that's great about the PG forum is there are a handful of very active members who have been on several PG cruises, and they always quickly reply to my questions. Sometimes it's nice to get feedback from a lot of people, but for simple things, or yes/no questions, they are all very helpful :) 2018 itineraries aren't posted yet, but when they are, I hope you are able to find one that works well for you so you can check that off your bucket list! hehe

Grew up in Mineola...graduate of Hofstra...now a long time resident of Suffolk ....small world

We also thought that some of the singers had excellent voices, esp in the theater show Elryia / Elysian (.????) But the material and vague plot became boring....enjoyed the aerialists as well....but we left that one towards the end...too much of the same!

It is a plus that the performers are much improved...just need better formats to showcase their talent

Food and nature photos are killing me... no cruise for us til October,!

The last night of the cruise, the singers picked a bunch of Broadway songs- they all sounded fantastic and you could tell it was because they were picking songs that they had an attachment to and which suited their voices. Prior to that, we thought they all had mediocre voices based on their performances in the production shows, and I think it may be because they were singing songs they were forced to sing and it just didn't cater to their talents. But yes, all of these opinions are subjective and others may feel differently :)

We also thought that some of the singers had excellent voices, esp in the theater show Elryia / Elysian (.????) But the material and vague plot became boring....enjoyed the aerialists as well....but we left that one towards the end...too much of the same!

It is a plus that the performers are much improved...just need better formats to showcase their talent

How funny...we certainly all hear/see things differently!!!:D We thought the vocals in all the shows were the worst part of the performances. Dana, to us the Broadway numbers the last night were very weak. I thought the Equinox dance troupe was very good though, and we were disappointed there wasn't any dancing to accompany the vocals on the last night.

Loved your idea about taking the "green" food coloring! Will have to do that next year when we sail on Silhouette for St. Paddy's Day (2nd. time). Will also be wearing my "green" gown again! LOL

Still loving your review & all the pictures you've posted. I have noticed that your hubby wears a lot of shirts for the Yankee's ! Go Yankee's & the reason I say that is my Dad worked for them! Hope they have a good season this year.:D

Look forward to more of your review.

Loved your idea about taking the "green" food coloring! Will have to do that next year when we sail on Silhouette for St. Paddy's Day (2nd. time). Will also be wearing my "green" gown again! LOL

Still loving your review & all the pictures you've posted. I have noticed that your hubby wears a lot of shirts for the Yankee's ! Go Yankee's & the reason I say that is my Dad worked for them! Hope they have a good season this year.:D

Look forward to more of your review.

Please remember, what colors your drink, will color your tongue. Done it! :eek:

We're thinking of this cruise in November. After reading your post I'm more excited than ever. I was looking forward to your Colon Panama review and the remainder of your trip, but nothing after page 12. Am I missing the rest? Thanks.

We're thinking of this cruise in November. After reading your post I'm more excited than ever. I was looking forward to your Colon Panama review and the remainder of your trip, but nothing after page 12. Am I missing the rest? Thanks.

Sorry! I was out of town this weekend so haven't had a chance to post the next segment yet... more coming soon, I promise!! :D

Saturday, March 19 ~ Colon, Panama

Much like Costa Rica, I had a lot of trouble finding a solid tour company for our day in Panama. While many cruise ships travel through the Panama Canal, it is rare for a ship to dedicate 10 hours to a full day docked in Colon. There was really only one company I could find with excellent reviews on both Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor: Almiza Tours by My Friend Mario (http://www.bscpma.com/mfm/citytour.htm). Looking back on the website now, I no longer see the tour that we booked, but we booked a full day group tour to the Gatun Locks of the Panama Canal, a Canoe Ride to the Embera Indian Village, and a hike to a waterfall for $95 per person, including lunch and all entrance fees. Their website had a form to register for the tours, and they sent me an email confirmation within a few days of booking. The confirmation letter stated that there are people at the port who try to impersonate their company, but they are frauds. We were warned to walk passed the people with signs for My Friend Mario and to go directly to the Fantastic Casino. They said to look for people wearing the My Friend Mario logo on their shirts, and to make sure we saw our name on their list of people on our tour. That sounded a bit more dramatic than I was used to at other ports, but I guess that's what happens when you travel to a less commercial cruise port and opt to book a tour privately and not through the cruise line!

Instead of fighting the crowds at the Oceanview Cafe, we decided to order room service for breakfast this morning. We put our doortag out last night with what we wanted, and requested the 7-7:30am time slot. I had read on Cruise Critic that even though the standard veranda cabins have a limited selection on the breakfast room service menu, they will sometimes honor special requests. Probably not anything super fancy, but if it's something they already serve to the Concierge Class cabins or suites, sometimes they will give it to the regular cabins if you ask for it.

This is a copy of our breakfast room service menu. We had 3 of these doortags in our cabin when we boarded the ship, but I'm sure Rhonda would have gotten more for us if we ran out.

25499361453_6bc1ffe347_c.jpg

And this is a copy of what we ordered for this morning:

25518113593_27b799a476_c.jpg

Our phone rang promptly at 7am to tell us that food was on the way, and there was a knock at our door 5 minutes later.

25847897500_1d6a6c8a5d_c.jpg

Not only did we get everything we asked for, but it was all served at appropriate temperatures (the omelets were steaming hot, and the smoked salmon and cream cheese was still cold). Our only complaint was that the bagels were quite small, so on future days we ordered 2 bagels for each of us.

26120744465_95b6445aa3_c.jpg

We ate breakfast on the balcony and watched a foggy sail into Colon.

26094815386_3cf486ddec_c.jpg

It was amazing to see all the boats lined up and waiting for their turn to enter the Panama Canal! Despite the scary dark clouds, the weather remained overcast and humid all day but it never rained.

26054386911_491dcd2253_c.jpg