Transfer options for early flight out of Amsterdam

Hi everyone - We have an 10:45 a.m. flight out of Amsterdam in May. I would appreciate advise if we should prebook a taxi, use Celebrity transfer or other suggestions/recommendations for transfer options. Thank you for much for your help - Kathie

Oh, not good. What time are you scheduled to dock? I would want to be off the ship not later than 7:00 to meet that flight. I would want to take the tram (26) to the Central train station and then the train to Schiphol. I like the tram/train because traffic does not matter.

Here is a website that may help:

http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/ToFromSchiphol/PublicTransport/ByTrainDomestic.htm

We dock at 6:00 a.m. so planning on self disembarkation. Do you know if there are plenty of cabs available? Thanks!

Most likely cabs wille available, but not sure how many that early.

Assuming you want a cab all the way to the airport check those links.

I donot think you can prebook for the short distance to the trainstation.

http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/ToFromSchiphol/SchipholTravelTaxi.htm

https://www.tcataxi.nl/en/home.html

https://tinker.travel/en/

Hi everyone - We have an 10:45 a.m. flight out of Amsterdam in May. I would appreciate advise if we should prebook a taxi, use Celebrity transfer or other suggestions/recommendations for transfer options. Thank you for much for your help - Kathie

Domestic flight within Europe ok but international at that departure time is almost impossible to make.

AMS is huge and lines to drop luggage and get tickets then go through security last year took us 2 hours. Good Luck.

Ine, just wondering about getting a taxi from the hotel,how far is airport from city center?

Thank you

Depending what your hotel and at what location the airport is about 30 minutes away. A bit more when traveling in rush hour!

Thanks for the info! From looking at the disembarkation sheet it looks like they are accommodating those early flights so maybe that would be the best option. A little concerned about the luggage retrieval. Has anyone experienced this? Ine- are the pre booked cabs pretty reliable or is there a car service you could suggest. I'm more concerned with catching our flight then the cost at this point!

Thanks for the info! From looking at the disembarkation sheet it looks like they are accommodating those early flights so maybe that would be the best option. A little concerned about the luggage retrieval. Has anyone experienced this? Ine- are the pre booked cabs pretty reliable or is there a car service you could suggest. I'm more concerned with catching our flight then the cost at this point!

In that case I think Atc might the best since they are a local company with lots of cabs. In case of doubt you can phone them from the ship that morning to check again.

The others are ok too, but probably arenot that closeby to the terminal.

Edited by Ine

Most likely cabs wille available, but not sure how many that early.

Assuming you want a cab all the way to the airport check those links.

I donot think you can prebook for the short distance to the trainstation.

http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/ToFromSchiphol/SchipholTravelTaxi.htm

https://www.tcataxi.nl/en/home.html

https://tinker.travel/en/

Hello Ine, Thank you for being an Amsterdam expert. I am leaving Sunday for a Viking River cruise out of Amsterdam. On embarkation we will be at the Veemkade PTA dock. When we return to Amsterdam it will be the Suezhaven dock. I am limited in how much walking I can do and need a handrail to go up and down steps. I read that taxis can only be gotten at taxi stands. Can taxis come onto the docks and right up to the ships? I am hoping to go to the major museums. Are there taxi stands right by such major attractions? I am hoping to take a canal cruise, but are there handrails to get down steps and into the boats? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Do not take Celebrity transfer, taxi is the best method to the airport.

I agree with the first part but not the second. Taxis may or may not be available that early, there may or may not be traffic. On the other hand, tram 26 stops right in front of the cruise terminal. You know exactly when it will be there, a few stops you are at the central train station, again you know exactly when the train to the airport will leave, no traffic or availability concerns. If the OP does self disembarkation they can be off first thing with there luggage so no concern with that.

Okay, similar situation

Are the tram and train tickets good for only the day of purchase or can we purchase them before we board the cruise ship and have them with us when we disembark? I would rather not take a chance of missing the first available train while getting tickets.

We dock on a Sunday - any better chances than a weekday for security and check-in?

Hello Ine, Thank you for being an Amsterdam expert. I am leaving Sunday for a Viking River cruise out of Amsterdam. On embarkation we will be at the Veemkade PTA dock. When we return to Amsterdam it will be the Suezhaven dock. I am limited in how much walking I can do and need a handrail to go up and down steps. I read that taxis can only be gotten at taxi stands. Can taxis come onto the docks and right up to the ships? I am hoping to go to the major museums. Are there taxi stands right by such major attractions? I am hoping to take a canal cruise, but are there handrails to get down steps and into the boats? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Unfgortunately I am not familiar with the details in the places you dock, so I cannot tell you how easy it will be to get on and off board. Veemkade is not too far from the regular cruiseterminal, I am sure they will have good facilities. Suezhaven is in a more industrial area, farther away from the center,so it might be more difficult for cabs to get close.

I think best is to check with your cruiseline what they can tell you about this.

Yes at the larger museums there certainly will be cabs or cabstands will be closeby.. Getting into canalboats in general is also not that difficult, I am sure staff will certainly help you if needed.

Enjoy.

Okay, similar situation

Are the tram and train tickets good for only the day of purchase or can we purchase them before we board the cruise ship and have them with us when we disembark? I would rather not take a chance of missing the first available train while getting tickets.

We dock on a Sunday - any better chances than a weekday for security and check-in?

No you cannot buy tram and traintickets before. Traintickets can be bought online only by dutch citizens unfortunately. On Centraal Station and the airport you have choices between tickets from the machines or at the window with a small surcharge. http://www.ns.nl/en

Tramtickets come in different ways, either single rides, daytickets or the more complicated chipcards which are nice fi you plan to ride the trams often. More details about this re Amsterdam here: http://en.gvb.nl/ontdek-amsterdam

Difference between weekdays or sundays is only noticeable on the road, not on the airport etc.

Edited by Ine

Ine

We will be coming into Amsterdam on the Celebrity Silhouette, I use a lightweight travel scooter, we will be stayin @ the Crown Plaza. My wife and I will have 2 regular suitcases, 2 backpacks, my scooter and a folding walker. Can you tell us the best way to get from the cruise terminial to the Crown Plaza?

Thks for your help

Ine

We will be coming into Amsterdam on the Celebrity Silhouette, I use a lightweight travel scooter, we will be stayin @ the Crown Plaza. My wife and I will have 2 regular suitcases, 2 backpacks, my scooter and a folding walker. Can you tell us the best way to get from the cruise terminial to the Crown Plaza?

Thks for your help

Taxi. Just show up at the taxi line at the PTA. If needed the taxi drivers or PTA staff will phone a taxi van if a car can't accommodate your belongings.

Or do you need a wheelchair van?

Edited by FreestyleNovice

Okay, similar situation

It's possible to buy e-tickets two months out on an English part of the website but payment can only be made via the Dutch iDeal system (which requires a Dutch banking account etc), typically NS..

Maybe your best way to go is to buy everyone in your party an Amsterdam Travel Ticket for 1 day, up front at i.e. the GVB office opposite Centraal Station or even at the airport.

https://www.ns.nl/producten/en/overige-kaartjes/p/amsterdam-travel-ticket

Which is € 15,- each.

With single (use) tickets the tram would be € 2,90 each for a 1hr ticket at the tram driver (versus the € 1,03 written off on a personal top up card which already costs € 7,50 initial purchase) for the short ride from Passenger Terminal Amsterdam to Centraal Station.

The railway part to Schiphol would cost € 4,20 full fare in 2nd class. With an € 1,- extra per ticket for single use.

So doing single tickets would be € 2,90 plus € 5,20 making it € 8,10 per person on two separate single use tickets.

The 15 for the ATT is a bit more steep but can be bought before and validated at first check in on the tram. It's also valid on all GVB transport and on Connexxion bus 197 to Schiphol which could come in handy in case the NS has major delays or some of their permanent construction going on.

edit; break even point for public transport on the ATT and a taxi is about >4 persons I think!

Edited by FreestyleNovice