Kotor advice

Hi guys!

We will be spending the day in Montenegro at the end of September 2017. We will have about 7 hours. Heard great things about both kotor and budva and am wondering which to spend the day in, or even if we will have time to see both in one day. We aren't hugely into sight seeing more exploring towns and trying local authentic cuisine and relaxing. Any advice would be appreciated! We don't want a planned trip in Montenegro and would rather explore ourselves as it is our honeymoon.

Hi Lucia

Lucky you. The sail in at Kotor is not to be missed and the town is lovely - quite medieval. If you're fit, you could walk the 1500 steps up to the fort which overlooks the town and would give spectacular views.

Getting to Budva from there without going on an organised trip could be a problem. You may have to hire a taxi (possibly 60+ euros an hour) and it could take a couple of hours travelling. Car hire is not recommended for visitors due to the road conditions.

Hope this helps. Whatever you decide, I hope you have a great time.

Lily

I have been to Kotor twice on cruises. The first time I made the mistake of going on a tour of the unimpressive Budva. The second time I stayed in Kotor and made the rather difficult fortress climb and toured the city. The fortress climb was hard for this 60 year old in only decent shape who normally walks only two or three miles a day.

I have been to Kotor twice on cruises. The first time I made the mistake of going on a tour of the unimpressive Budva. The second time I stayed in Kotor and made the rather difficult fortress climb and toured the city. The fortress climb was hard for this 60 year old in only decent shape who normally walks only two or three miles a day.

We did the same. I only got halfway up, there is a tiny church there that is still in use. Fantastic views. Hubby went all the way to the top. Kotor has several lovely sidewalk cafes if you would just like to chill in the walled city. We decided to spend time in a lovely beach bar with crystal clear water across the road from the walled city and next to wear the ships dock. Hubby went for a swim. Just soak up the atmosphere, it is enchanting.

Hi guys! We will be spending the day in Montenegro at the end of September 2017. We will have about 7 hours. Heard great things about both kotor and budva and am wondering which to spend the day in, or even if we will have time to see both in one day. We aren't hugely into sight seeing more exploring towns and trying local authentic cuisine and relaxing. Any advice would be appreciated! We don't want a planned trip in Montenegro and would rather explore ourselves as it is our honeymoon.

As others have mentioned, there are "trade-offs" to consider for making your "logistics" work in this area. The ship tour we did worked very well for us. But, such arrangements are not as perfect and flexible as you might desire as if you are doing it totally on your own where you can adjust your timing to fit only your personal interests, timing, style. But, agree that doing the driving on your own would not be the best option. Ideally, it would be nice to see BOTH Kotor and Budva, plus other sights in the area, including the great view from high above this region.

See more below on these various options from the link shown below, plus a few of my sample visuals from this super scenic and interesting area. It's great to have a nice variety of options and choices here.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Wonderful Kotor and nearby Montenegro? Check these postings. Have had over 28,282 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Here’s our bus driver going to up, back and forth, through twenty-seven serpentine twists and turns to rise up the 4000’ high mountain above Kotor as we headed to the old Royal Capital of Cetinje. You can see our cruise ship down below tendered in the scenic harbor.:

KotorBusDriverHarbor.jpg

In Budva, here is a view of a church and its tower within its walled, historic area. This coastal town, overall, including outside the walled area, now has about 18,000 inhabitants. This Budvanska coastal area is the heart of Montenegro's tourism. The area is well known for its sandy beaches, diverse nightlife and charming Mediterranean architecture. Budva, as a settlement, is 3,500 years old, one of the oldest on the Adriatic coast. :

KotorBudvaChurches.jpg

This is one of the stone towers in Budva with the official lion from the timer period when Venice ruled these coastal areas for 400 years.:

BudvaTowerStoneVeniceLion.jpg

This is the walled gate as we entered Kotor to see in various historic buildings, many churches and shops. YES, they have lots of shops, whether needed or not!!:

KotorMainEntrancePalms.jpg

This high and wide view of Kotor shows the overall area, including the Bay of Kotor. It is one of the most indented parts of the Adriatic Sea. This bay is sometimes called the southern-most fjord in Europe. It is actually a submerged river canyon. Kotor has seen a significant increase in tourism, attracted by the Gulf’s natural beauty and the old town of Kotor that is a World Heritage Site.:

KotorHigherWiderOverview.jpg

Hi guys!

We will be spending the day in Montenegro at the end of September 2017. We will have about 7 hours. Heard great things about both kotor and budva and am wondering which to spend the day in, or even if we will have time to see both in one day. We aren't hugely into sight seeing more exploring towns and trying local authentic cuisine and relaxing. Any advice would be appreciated! We don't want a planned trip in Montenegro and would rather explore ourselves as it is our honeymoon.

In case it gives you any ideas, this was my day there, a really lovely port. Climbing the fort cost €3 in 2012. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]fUzQl8KA2Uk[/YOUTUBE]

I agree the trip to the top of the mountain was the most harrowing experience I ever had and I would not do it again. Especially in a van with only 8 of us and the driver sometimes on his cell phone.:eek::eek:

But the views of the ship from above were spectacular! We evrn got a rainbow which made things even more beautiful.

I agree the trip to the top of the mountain was the most harrowing experience I ever had and I would not do it again. Especially in a van with only 8 of us and the driver sometimes on his cell phone.:eek::eek:

But the views of the ship from above were spectacular! We evrn got a rainbow which made things even more beautiful.

Are there taxie's to take you up & then let you walk back down?

Budva is nice but Perast is a lovely medieval town. Make sure you can see the approach and departure to Koter. It us truly spectacular. Weather was very bad on one of our Koter trips and we left 1 hour early. The 90 degree turn at Perast on the way out is not to be missed.

We just had this added to our Vista May1 cruise in place of Izmir.

Thanks for all the great info and pictures.

You'll love it...it's one of those perfect cruise ports. Great sail in, close town, walkable town, with an active excursion up the hill for views...all there for you right from the ship.:)

In case it gives you any ideas, this was my day there, a really lovely port. Climbing the fort cost €3 in 2012. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]fUzQl8KA2Uk[/YOUTUBE]

This is a great video. Thanks so much for sharing