How to spend onboard credit?

deladane

PG is currently running a sale where they give a $500 onboard credit per cabin. I just called and they said they would apply the promotion to my 2017 cruise!! But then I started thinking... what kinds of things will I be able to buy with that much money?

I had a $250 OBC for my Celebrity cruise last week, and we used it to upgrade to the premium beverage package and for dinner at one of the specialty dining restaurants. PG is all inclusive, so I don't think either of those things would be an option for using the OBC.

I tend to book my shore excursions privately, although I may take this $500 as an opportunity to book directly with PG. Other than shore excursions and the spa (we aren't really spa people), how else can I spend that credit? Any ideas are welcome! :)

Internet access and laundry services are what I use them on. Also, while I book most shore excursions privately the PG diving and some other excursions are great and the OBC comes in handy. We don't drink but you can also get a special bottle of wine or two.

They also have a few gifts such as chocolate covered strawberries that you can purchase. Also, a special renewal of vows ceremony.

The $500 will not go as far as you think. You can also purchase items in the ship with the credit.

Internet access and laundry services are what I use them on. Also, while I book most shore excursions privately the PG diving and some other excursions are great and the OBC comes in handy. We don't drink but you can also get a special bottle of wine or two.

They also have a few gifts such as chocolate covered strawberries that you can purchase. Also, a special renewal of vows ceremony.

The $500 will not go as far as you think. You can also purchase items in the ship with the credit.

Yes, I figured there would be some shops on board where I could spend any remaining credit, but that would be a last resort (we had $12 OBC remaining last week that we spent on a shot glass and magnet at the ship store).

Great idea for the internet! It would be nice to be able to check in with the real world, and even post some photos to make people jealous back at home. Do you know how much the packages cost?

We don't scuba dive, but we do love snorkeling. I can see booking a shore excursion through the ship for one of the less touristy islands where there may not be as many options from private tour operators (I have a feeling it will be easy to find private tours on Moorea and Bora Bora). Can you recommend any specific snorkeling or catamaran/sailing tours?

The store has pearl jewellery, Tommy Bahama shirts, Tahitian soaps and a host of nice things, Don't recall any shot glasses!

haha please note we only had $12 left to spend... not sure I've ever seen a Tommy Bahama shirt for $12 ;) We should have a different budget on PG with this generous OBC!

You could spend in the spa. Although wine and the like are included. There are some very pricey wines you could spring for (check out the PG website for pricing). The OBC could be used for the scuba excursions. Our daughter went on all of the ship dives and advised they were very well taken care of while diving.

We plan to use our $500 for excursions and spa experiences.

On Bora Bora I love Pure Snorkeling, an excursion you book privately. From the ship consider Michael Poole's dolphin tour on Moorea (I have not done this but many rave about it). Mark Eddows, the on board archeology expert does a couple of hikes that again, I have not done, but many like in Moorea.

The privately booked Marc's lagoon tour and snorkel on Huahaine is good. They have changed their tour over the past few years and there is now more time in the boat looking at the lagoon vs. snorkeling. A negative in my mind. This same company also offers a combo land tour and snorkel and I would do that instead. The group that is doing the land part meets up with the other group at an overwater pearl farm and then the tour is the same for both groups. You don't miss any snorkeling by taking the land portion first, you just miss an hour or so of viewing the lagoon.

Not sure which sailing you are on but the privately booked Teking lagoon tour in Aitutaki was great.

Any areas inland on Bora Bora or Moorea can be heavy with mosquitos so be prepared.

I have been able to have PG hold an excursion for me against my onboard credit in advance on one cruise but on another they told me I had to pay in advance and the OBC could only be used once on the ship. The excursions most likely to fill are the dive excursions and the excursions in the Cook Islands or Rangiora/Fakarava (probably because there are limited private excursions to choose from). If you don't think you will spend your OBC with laundry/internet/spa/etc. you can easily use it up once on board by booking an excursion the first day. Mark Eddows and Michael Poole tours do book quickly but I have always seen that you can book them on board as long as you do it quickly after you board.

Edited by FlightMedic555

No the OBC is not deducted from your cruise payment since it is an incentive to take advantage of what the ship offers. Trust me if you were to take an excursion, book a couple spa appts or use the laundry package(which must be reserved prior to leaving but is billed to your ship account) it will fly out of your account. ENJOY!!!!

Edited by Cruisedreamer1
add word