Club Ocean Suite: Wind on the Verandah

tv24

We are thinking of booking a Club Ocean Suite on a future AZ cruise. These are the suites that are to the front of the ship, with all the extra space. Since the suites are located in the fore, they might be subject to quite a bit of wind. What has been the experience of CC passengers in this type of suite? Is there enough protection on the verandah to block the wind? Is there a lot of wind noise inside the suite? Thanks in advance for reviews and guidance.

There's a sticky at the top of this forum called Azamara Cabins Thread that collects reviews of cabins by number. You have to use the "Search This Thread" tool and enter the number you are interested in. The cabin category you are asking about includes 6002, 6003, 7004, and 7005. There's a total of 4 reviews for these cabins, only one of which mentions wind as a problem.

Thanks Jazzbeau for looking through all of these postings. I did go through the cabin reviews on CC for Ocean Suites and found no mention of wind issues on any of them. Thanks again.

If the ship is in heavy seas and is pitching ( forward to back motion like a seesaw), it will be strongly felt in these suites as well as the aft suites. Anyone prone to seasickness will be completely miserable.

I've never understood why the best suites are not in the middle of the ship.:confused:

If the ship is in heavy seas and is pitching ( forward to back motion like a seesaw), it will be strongly felt in these suites as well as the aft suites. Anyone prone to seasickness will be completely miserable.

I've never understood why the best suites are not in the middle of the ship.:confused:

We find the back of the ship much better than the front for stability. The downside of the front is the motion, having to keep the curtains closed in the evenings, the wind (no wind aft) and having to look over so much ship in front of the balcony. For us there is NO view like that of the wake.

We find the back of the ship much better than the front for stability. The downside of the front is the motion, having to keep the curtains closed in the evenings, the wind (no wind aft) and having to look over so much ship in front of the balcony. For us there is NO view like that of the wake.

Agree. Never had an issue in a stateroom on the stern, even in the North Sea or North Atlantic.

We are on Journey with you in just several days in 7005...I'll let you know!! We were on the fall T/A as well but I don't think we ever met?...hoping to this time!! ;) LuAnn

Hi LuAnn: Well yes we did meet, ever so briefly at the Meet and Greet, but I was just one of many people who said hello as you were organizing. Did see you around a number of times, but you were always in the midst of conversations and I did not want to rudely break in. I will seek you out on the coming TA, especially to get your instant review of your stateroom. Very curious. Looking forward to it all. Tom

I've never struggled at the aft either. Stayed there a few times and it's a great view:cool: Any rocking during rougher seas reminds me I'm on a ship.

Phil

We were in Ocean Suite 7005 on our 29th Feb cruise through the Panama Canal and we absolutely loved it. Yes, it was sometimes windy but didn't seem any worse than wind we have noticed in a balcony cabin if there's a cross wind. There was the odd occasion when the wind was head on that we had trouble opening the patio door but more occasions when we hardly noticed it. We had sun for most of the day all the way down from Los Angeles to Miami and due to the width of the balcony, there was often a sunny spot when heading in other directions. The view of the stars at night was amazing and there were frequently different seabirds circling the bow and sometimes "hitching a lift" on the flagpole.

We had one uncomfortable night where the ship was pitching a lot - "bouncing" would be an understatement - but we weren't seasick. On this night I don't think you would have found a motionless place anywhere on the ship. Even during dinner in Discoveries the waiter had trouble trying to pour water into our glasses! The room steward actually duct taped the sliding door open between the bedroom and lounge as it was opening and closing on every bounce. Surprisingly, nothing fell off any shelf though.

We spent a lot of time on the balcony and you can keep out of the wind anyway if you are down on your sunbed! There was also often a sheltered spot either end of the balcony, depending on the wind direction. We weren't bothered by the view of the front of the ship and actually found it interesting to see the men at work! It was a prime position for the Panama Canal transit and my husband took a great time lapse video of the whole transit by setting his camera up on the front of the balcony. We always kept the curtains open at night - the only time we had to shut them was when we arrived in Miami and woke up to find ourselves nose to nose with a Disney ship! The big porthole next to the bed in 7005 provided a great side sea view as well!

For this cruise we couldn't have wished for a better room and wouldn't hesitate to have the same one again, although if there were several rough sea days it may not be so relaxing! Have never done a TA so don't know if you always have to expect choppy sea conditions.

Hi LuAnn: Well yes we did meet, ever so briefly at the Meet and Greet, but I was just one of many people who said hello as you were organizing. Did see you around a number of times, but you were always in the midst of conversations and I did not want to rudely break in. I will seek you out on the coming TA, especially to get your instant review of your stateroom. Very curious. Looking forward to it all. Tom

Looking forward then to meeting you again on Tuesday! LuAnn

We were in Ocean Suite 7005 on our 29th Feb cruise through the Panama Canal and we absolutely loved it. Yes, it was sometimes windy but didn't seem any worse than wind we have noticed in a balcony cabin if there's a cross wind. There was the odd occasion when the wind was head on that we had trouble opening the patio door but more occasions when we hardly noticed it. We had sun for most of the day all the way down from Los Angeles to Miami and due to the width of the balcony, there was often a sunny spot when heading in other directions. The view of the stars at night was amazing and there were frequently different seabirds circling the bow and sometimes "hitching a lift" on the flagpole.

We had one uncomfortable night where the ship was pitching a lot - "bouncing" would be an understatement - but we weren't seasick. On this night I don't think you would have found a motionless place anywhere on the ship. Even during dinner in Discoveries the waiter had trouble trying to pour water into our glasses! The room steward actually duct taped the sliding door open between the bedroom and lounge as it was opening and closing on every bounce. Surprisingly, nothing fell off any shelf though.

We spent a lot of time on the balcony and you can keep out of the wind anyway if you are down on your sunbed! There was also often a sheltered spot either end of the balcony, depending on the wind direction. We weren't bothered by the view of the front of the ship and actually found it interesting to see the men at work! It was a prime position for the Panama Canal transit and my husband took a great time lapse video of the whole transit by setting his camera up on the front of the balcony. We always kept the curtains open at night - the only time we had to shut them was when we arrived in Miami and woke up to find ourselves nose to nose with a Disney ship! The big porthole next to the bed in 7005 provided a great side sea view as well!

For this cruise we couldn't have wished for a better room and wouldn't hesitate to have the same one again, although if there were several rough sea days it may not be so relaxing! Have never done a TA so don't know if you always have to expect choppy sea conditions.

for this detailed description! We are so excited to experience this "suite life" and we are always interested in the work of the crew getting us in and out of ports...although there won't be as many ports on a T/A!! :D LuAnn

Great review. Thanks for all this lovely information. I think we can make this work, should we choose to go this route. Thanks again.

As an afterthought, we visited the suite below ours on deck 6 and the layout was slightly different. The bed was in the old position, coming into the room at an angle and their wardrobes were along the wall where our bedhead was positioned. That meant they did not have the porthole next to the bed which we liked and they more or less faced the bathroom door. That being said, it was still a lovely suite!

We sailed on Quest in 6001 adjacent to the suites you mention.

This was not a good idea and I tried to change the stateroom prior to sailing.

The anchor lines are directly below the forward staterooms, either suites or veranda cabins. At 4 AM as we arrived in ports, the stateroom vibrated.

We were also one deck above the forward venue for evening events. Practice started at 4 PM. Stateroom also vibrated!

We did run into a gale and had water coming through the forward sliding doors.

I hope in the refurbishment of Journey and Quest, these doors were replaced.

I would consider another location.

We are just off the Journey with CC friends in an aft veranda and they reported vibration and soot so choose carefully.

All said, we had a good cruise on Quest and also Journey.

• 2 weeks later...

We have recently been on the Journey in stateroom 6001 and loved it! So everyone may feel different. I usually found a not windy spot even on this smaller balcony. And the view is gorgeous, especially coming into port or at night. We had some rough sea but we liked the movement and did not get seasick. Nobody bothered if we had the curtains open or closed at night (kept it close most of the time anyway). When you come into port there is some noise due to anchor chains or ropes lowered but this was normally the time we were already awake or wanted to rise. We liked watching the docking. You may also hear some bass when they practice for the show but not very loud and no vibration. Maybe we are less sensitive. Nothing to bother us, if we were in the stateroom at this time of the day it was for showering or changing. Not sure if I would book this cabin for a TA but definitely in the caribbean or on a cruise to Norway (fjords) or the Panama canal. The view made us feel like being on a yacht. The suite has a bigger balcony so it will be more easy to find a non windy spot most of the times. It is also not directly above the show lounge. I personally would go for it but everyone is dofferent.