Verizon Cell Service Onboard - Do We Also Need to Buy RCI's Internet?

Our daughter is 8 months pregnant and we sail on Sunday. Don't want to be totally unconnected. We're signing up for a cruise travel package with Verizon - 100 mbs of data, 100 minutes of talk and some texting on just one of our phones.

Is that all we need to do? Or do we need to pay RCI for that connectivity as well?

Edited by CookieDiva

Only if you are going online.

We have V and don't need a pkg. we just pay as you go. Our bill usually has an extra 15 to 20$ for a week cruise. Calls are 1.79pm and text are .50 out and .05 in. Very cheap. You can make several calls and do a lot of text for 20- 30$. We don't need data to call or text

Your ports could even be cheaper.

Edited by setsail

Our daughter is 8 months pregnant and we sail on Sunday. Don't want to be totally unconnected. We're signing up for a cruise travel package with Verizon - 100 mbs of data, 100 minutes of talk and some texting on one phone.

Is that all we need to do? Or do we need to pay RCI for that connectivity as well?

It would help to know what capabilities you intend to use.

We have V and don't need a pkg. we just pay as you go. Our bill usually has an extra 15 to 20$ for a week cruise. Calls are 1.79pm and text are .50 out and .05 in. Very cheap. You can make several calls and do a lot of text for 20- 30$. We don't need data to call or text

Good info! Thanks!

It would help to know what capabilities you intend to use.

Good question! Could be anything. Whatever would be the most cost effective but keep us minimally connected in case someone needs to get a hold of us.

Good info! Thanks!

Good question! Could be anything. Whatever would be the most cost effective but keep us minimally connected in case someone needs to get a hold of us.

"Connected" is a nebulous term. Your Verizon plan covers voice calls and SMS texts. However, keeping your phone on with data could consume your data allotment and result in more Verizon charges.

Edited by clarea

So is there anyway to do this with a smart phone? Is there anyway to turn off data so that you just get calls and texts?

(Sorry to seem so stupid.)

So is there anyway to do this with a smart phone? Is there anyway to turn off data so that you just get calls and texts?

Yes, you should have a selection in Settings to turn off cellular data.

Note that when you do this, you won't be able to get texts with photos or videos attached, and it may also affect your ability to get group texts. Tell the people who might be texting you on the ship to use plain texts.

What kind of phone? Are all phones iPhones, for instance?

This is not a simple answer. If you're going to receive iMessages from home, you'll need data, not text. The iPhone will eat data. Changing settings to prevent that is possible, but I fear from your questions it won't be easy...

Two things to keep in mind:

When you're at sea, you're using the ship as a cell phone tower. In my experience, you usually barely get data connections on the ships cell tower, and you'll suddenly get it randomly. When you're in national waters, you don't get service from the ship; you get it from the island. If you don't have an international roaming phone (such as the iPhone), you'll have nothing in any port that doesn't have CDMA (such as Labadee, which is actually Haiti), so no calls, no texts, no data. (At least that was our experience a few years ago when we were trying to manage a dying cat from Freedom in the Caribbean.)

The ship's WiFi generally will be available everywhere. It will allow you to use iMessage or e-mail on an iPhone and e-mail for sure on an Android. For text on an Android, I just don't know. I know you can download apps that will allow you to "text" over WiFi and those would work on the ship's WiFi. BUT, the ship's WiFi generally won't let you receive a phone call (with, of course, exceptions).

I don't mean to confuse, but there really isn't a "one size fits all" answer to your question!

Oh, and turning off data is actually usually simple, depending on the phone, but see all of the above!

Thanks everyone! All of our family have iPhones. I think that we will just turn off our data, ask everyone to use text rather than iMessaging for the week, and use the pay as you go method that was mentioned above.

We will look for WiFi when we're on the islands to have more extended conversations through iMessage or FaceTime if necessary.

Thanks everyone! All of our family have iPhones. I think that we will just turn off our data, ask everyone to use text rather than iMessaging for the week, and use the pay as you go method that was mentioned above.

We will look for WiFi when we're on the islands to have more extended conversations through iMessage or FaceTime if necessary.

That should work fine.

Bon Voyage!:)

This will work.

We have iPhone with ATT (same concept) and this is what we do.

Enjoy your cruise and it won't be long before you welcome a grandchild to your family. All good.

Keith

You can also add a Travel Pass to your account, if you are going to be in covered countries. Canada and Mexico are $2/line/day. Other countries are $10/line/day. Travel Pass lets you bring your domestic plan with you, so you'd have access to all the talk, text, and data that you normally have at home.

Go here for more info and to check covered countries: http://www.verizonwireless.com/landingpages/international-travel/

Just last week Verizon Wireless released "Wi=Fi Calling". You need a iPhone 6 or newer and IOS 9.3. I am not sure how it would work on a cruise ship with Voom and would like to know if anyone is going to use it. It would be nice to stay in touch with family on the Anthem.

Verizon Wi-Fi Calling allows you to make and receive calls over a Wi-Fi network if cellular is not available.

The benefits of Wi-Fi Calling include:

It's included at no additional charge with your existing voice plan and compatible device.

You can make and receive calls in Wi-Fi using your phone number.

Wi-Fi calls to US numbers are free, even while traveling internationally.

Video Calls no longer require an LTE connection to be initiated in Wi-Fi.

Just last week Verizon Wireless released "Wi=Fi Calling". You need a iPhone 6 or newer and IOS 9.3. I am not sure how it would work on a cruise ship with Voom and would like to know if anyone is going to use it. It would be nice to stay in touch with family on the Anthem.

Verizon Wi-Fi Calling allows you to make and receive calls over a Wi-Fi network if cellular is not available.

The benefits of Wi-Fi Calling include:

It's included at no additional charge with your existing voice plan and compatible device.

You can make and receive calls in Wi-Fi using your phone number.

Wi-Fi calls to US numbers are free, even while traveling internationally.

Video Calls no longer require an LTE connection to be initiated in Wi-Fi.

Interesting. That would be nice not only at sea, but in areas where phone coverage is spotty, such as some rural areas. I have used FaceTime audio to call from sea to the US which has been nice. ThAt said, his new option should essentially allow you to call anyone , landlines included, from at sea. I'm at sea now, using Voom. I haven't experienced this yet, but I haven't tried to make any calls unless it's a FaceTime Audio call to another iPhone back on land.

Edited by MaiseyM

Just last week Verizon Wireless released "Wi=Fi Calling". You need a iPhone 6 or newer and IOS 9.3. I am not sure how it would work on a cruise ship with Voom and would like to know if anyone is going to use it. It would be nice to stay in touch with family on the Anthem....

It should work fine on a ship with Voom. It's possible it might also work on a non-Voom ship. Occasionally I see reports of people using Skype (voice only) successfully on a non-Voom ship.

Interesting. That would be nice not only at sea, but in areas where phone coverage is spotty, such as some rural areas. I have used FaceTime audio to call from sea to the US which has been nice. ThAt said, his new option should essentially allow you to call anyone , landlines included, from at sea. I'm at sea now, using Voom. I haven't experienced this yet, but I haven't tried to make any calls unless it's a FaceTime Audio call to another iPhone back on land.

Please let us know if you are able to use it. Here is the Verizon Wi=Fi Calling FAQ page http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/wifi-calling-faqs/

Not being cell phone savy; I've never sent a text in my life however,my wife sends and receives text(s) daily; is this pay as you go something you have to set up with Verizon or can you simply do it and be billed by V?

Not being cell phone savy; I've never sent a text in my life however,my wife sends and receives text(s) daily; is this pay as you go something you have to set up with Verizon or can you simply do it and be billed by V?

You can pay as you go with texts. With no other package, Verizon charges $0.50 to send and $0.05 receive.

Nothing to setup with Verizon. Texts will be $0.50 and $0.05 while on the ship. Calls will be billed at $1.79 per minute. I would suggest turning off data though if she has a smartphone.

I would just add to call them and make sure your phone is set up for international calling, no charge for this and they do it in the computer

I have an I phone 6s and I bought the voom internet package so would my daughter be able to FaceTime her mom here in the states from the ship?Thanks

Yes, should be no problem.:)