St. Peter Port, Guernsey

Guernseycruiser's list above is excellent!  

Having spent a fair amount of time on Guernsey as a tourist, I've been thinking about how I would go about planning for a short day in Guernsey. One important thing to consider is opening times (“hours” to Americans ) which was touched on above.  Particularly for those ships that get into port as early as 6 or 7AM, if you’re fortunate enough to tender early, you’ll find that a lot of attractions aren’t yet open.

You’ll pass Castle Cornet on your tender ride.  You may think that it would be quick and easy to pop over and see it first.  However, it doesn’t open until 9:30 (July & Aug) or 10:00 (other months).    Likewise with Victor Hugo’s Hauteville House, which opens at 10, I believe.   And the shops in town don’t open early just because there’s a ship in port.   

This may seem unusual, particularly to Americans.  We’re used to being able to shop for groceries 24 hours a day, 364 days a year.   We would almost naturally expect these attractions to jump at the chance for more visitors.  However, “Ship’s in at 6? Let’s open the castle at 7” is NOT how things are done in Guernsey, or many parts of Europe for that matter. 

This means you need to plan a bit if you’re an early riser, and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND being an early riser for Guernsey, if for no other reason than to see St Peter Port awash in the morning sun.

As you look through Guernseycruiser’s list, you’ll see a number of “no entrance fee” attractions.  These are also “always open”:

• The Little Chapel.  If you do go there after 9AM, walk back to the unaffiliated Guille Silver Shop behind the chapel, browse a bit, and grab a single-serve mini-tub of Guernsey ice cream.  You'll thank me later! 
  • Pleinmont Gun Batterie (German fortifications)
  • Fort Hommet (German fortifications)
  • Cliff walks.  This link is my favourite walk from town.   I time it to be able to have lunch at Fermain Beach Café, which opens at 10AM.  https://www.visitguernsey.com/see-and-do/walking-routes/forts-cannons-lookout-towers/
  • Candie Gardens
  • St Peter Port.  Walking around before shops open does let you enjoy the quaint seafront town without crowds.
  • Note that Pleinmont and Fort Hommet also have restored bunkers that are open at selected times during the year.  They may or may not be open on the day you’re in port.  If they are, they will likely have opening times similar to other shops.

Before you go thinking that you’re not special for arriving via cruise ship, you certainly are.  And there are some attractions that do open early, or exclusively for cruise visitors:

• The Petite Train starts running at 9AM on cruise ship days (vs 11 on other days)
  • The Guernsey Explorer bus ride, mentioned above, is exclusively for cruise ship guests.  For £10, you receive a 90 minute tour of the island with stops: https://www.icw.gg/guernsey-explorer  I’ve not done this tour, but I expect it to be far superior to the round-island 91/92 bus trips around the island that Guernseycruiser mentioned above.  Those round-island routes can get very crowded on cruise ship days.  Those bus trips are not narrated, unless you happen to be “lucky” enough to have an American tourist who knows just enough to be dangerous happen to join you along the way and point some things out.  I’ve done that, and if I’m the best guide you have, let’s just say that you can do better for a few pounds more.  LOL

So if you’re planning to hire a taxi for a few hours, and will be ashore much before 10AM, you may want to consider putting those “no fee” items first, or perhaps ask for a round-island tour of your own to start with.  The changes in scenery as you circle Guernsey are amazing, from the steep hills of St Peter Port, to the lowlands and beaches to the north, the rocky bays to the west, and the cliffs to the South.  It’s all fantastic. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/7/2019 at 2:48 PM, D C said:

Guernseycruiser's list above is excellent!  

Having spent a fair amount of time on Guernsey as a tourist, I've been thinking about how I would go about planning for a short day in Guernsey. One important thing to consider is opening times (“hours” to Americans ) which was touched on above.  Particularly for those ships that get into port as early as 6 or 7AM, if you’re fortunate enough to tender early, you’ll find that a lot of attractions aren’t yet open.

You’ll pass Castle Cornet on your tender ride.  You may think that it would be quick and easy to pop over and see it first.  However, it doesn’t open until 9:30 (July & Aug) or 10:00 (other months).    Likewise with Victor Hugo’s Hauteville House, which opens at 10, I believe.   And the shops in town don’t open early just because there’s a ship in port.   

This may seem unusual, particularly to Americans.  We’re used to being able to shop for groceries 24 hours a day, 364 days a year.   We would almost naturally expect these attractions to jump at the chance for more visitors.  However, “Ship’s in at 6? Let’s open the castle at 7” is NOT how things are done in Guernsey, or many parts of Europe for that matter. 

This means you need to plan a bit if you’re an early riser, and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND being an early riser for Guernsey, if for no other reason than to see St Peter Port awash in the morning sun.

As you look through Guernseycruiser’s list, you’ll see a number of “no entrance fee” attractions.  These are also “always open”:

• The Little Chapel.  If you do go there after 9AM, walk back to the unaffiliated Guille Silver Shop behind the chapel, browse a bit, and grab a single-serve mini-tub of Guernsey ice cream.  You'll thank me later! 
  • Pleinmont Gun Batterie (German fortifications)
  • Fort Hommet (German fortifications)
  • Cliff walks.  This link is my favourite walk from town.   I time it to be able to have lunch at Fermain Beach Café, which opens at 10AM.  https://www.visitguernsey.com/see-and-do/walking-routes/forts-cannons-lookout-towers/
  • Candie Gardens
  • St Peter Port.  Walking around before shops open does let you enjoy the quaint seafront town without crowds.
  • Note that Pleinmont and Fort Hommet also have restored bunkers that are open at selected times during the year.  They may or may not be open on the day you’re in port.  If they are, they will likely have opening times similar to other shops.

Before you go thinking that you’re not special for arriving via cruise ship, you certainly are.  And there are some attractions that do open early, or exclusively for cruise visitors:

• The Petite Train starts running at 9AM on cruise ship days (vs 11 on other days)
  • The Guernsey Explorer bus ride, mentioned above, is exclusively for cruise ship guests.  For £10, you receive a 90 minute tour of the island with stops: https://www.icw.gg/guernsey-explorer  I’ve not done this tour, but I expect it to be far superior to the round-island 91/92 bus trips around the island that Guernseycruiser mentioned above.  Those round-island routes can get very crowded on cruise ship days.  Those bus trips are not narrated, unless you happen to be “lucky” enough to have an American tourist who knows just enough to be dangerous happen to join you along the way and point some things out.  I’ve done that, and if I’m the best guide you have, let’s just say that you can do better for a few pounds more.  LOL

So if you’re planning to hire a taxi for a few hours, and will be ashore much before 10AM, you may want to consider putting those “no fee” items first, or perhaps ask for a round-island tour of your own to start with.  The changes in scenery as you circle Guernsey are amazing, from the steep hills of St Peter Port, to the lowlands and beaches to the north, the rocky bays to the west, and the cliffs to the South.  It’s all fantastic. 

Hello -

We will be on Crown Princess in August of this year and are interested in the Guernsey Explorer 90-minute tour; however, I am hesitant to book it online with my credit card since I have read that it does happen that poor weather keeps the tenders from being able to operate.  I have emailed Island Coachways twice to ask if tickets could be purchased once we have arrived on Guernsey, but have not had a reply.  Does anyone here have esperience how this would work?

Thanks in advance,

Patty

1 hour ago, zaks pack4 said:

Hello -

We will be on Crown Princess in August of this year and are interested in the Guernsey Explorer 90-minute tour; however, I am hesitant to book it online with my credit card since I have read that it does happen that poor weather keeps the tenders from being able to operate.  I have emailed Island Coachways twice to ask if tickets could be purchased once we have arrived on Guernsey, but have not had a reply.  Does anyone here have esperience how this would work?

Thanks in advance,

Patty

This is the answer I received last week after my request via Facebook Messenger.  Warning: my antivirus etc scanner gave a warning when I tried to connect to the website.... and I decided to call their office of I wish to reserve and decided at which time.   See also CC information on St Peter Port:  

Pro  A compact, pretty capital; stunning beaches minutes away and a fascinating military history  Con   St Peter Port is a tender port, and high tides and poor weather can often prevent landings     Bottom Line   Guernsey is tiny, and after spending the morning discovering its capital, it's worth heading off to see the countryside and beaches

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for getting in touch,

We are running our 90 minute Guernsey Explorer on 3rd October at the following times

10.00, 11.00, 12.00, 13.00 & 14.00

The coach will depart from Stand A at the Bus Terminus, this is a 2-5 minute walk from Albert Pier where the cruise liner tenders dock.

Tickets need to be booked and paid for either online at
www.icw.gg or by calling our office on 01481 720210

Tickets cost £10.00 per Adult, tickets are non refundable as the seats are pre paid and reserved for you

This service runs to a timetable, therefore we will leave Stand A and the times above, we are unable to wait for any late arrivals. If you have any concerns on being able to make your booked time slot please call our office as we will do our best to change you to a later time.

This Island Drive includes two stop offs, the first is at Pembroke Bay for 8 minutes and the second is at the Little Chapel for 20 Minutes. Please ensure you are back on board the coach within these designated times as the coach may leave without you if you are late back.

If you, or anybody you are travelling with requires walking aids, mobility scooters and wheelchairs these will be stored in the boot of the coach, providing these are able to collapse. Passengers need to be able to manage the steps onboard the vehicle.

If you require anymore information please let me know

Kind Regards

Lauren and the Island Coachways Team

Island Coachways Ltd - Guernsey

Island Coachways offers transport services in Guernsey, from planning your wedding coaches to arranging transfers for groups or an Island tour

The Petit Train's engine 'Victor' is currently down for repairs and they say they are waiting for parts.  We're in St Peter Port a week from Sunday and were hoping to take the train around but I guess we'll just do a waterfront 'wander' on our own.