Discarded Cigarette starts fire today on Dawn Princess

LMaxwell

I'm sure there are lots of non smokers who would replace them. It's not so long ago that they stopped smoking on aircraft, whey can't they do the same on ships?

It is quite different to tell a smoker that he/she cannot smoke for three to eight hours on aq plane vs. telling a smoker he/she cannot smoke for 1 to 8 days on a cruise ship.

Edited by caribill

That's doubtful (the banning part) because if there's something the government really loves it's "sin" taxes.

Those of you out there should go up to a smoker and thank him/her/it. He/she/it pays a lot of taxes for the habit.

I think the health care costs far outweigh the "sin tax" collected.

I get very nervous when the baked Alaska comes out, apart from the whole thing being CRINGE-WORTHY, I don't like those things wafting past my head.I quite like the smell of pipe smoke,reminds me of a salt encrusted captain standing on the bridge,screaming orders at underlings through rotten-teeth,and one-eye.

I get very nervous when the baked Alaska comes out, apart from the whole thing being CRINGE-WORTHY, I don't like those things wafting past my head.I quite like the smell of pipe smoke,reminds me of a salt encrusted captain standing on the bridge,screaming orders at underlings through rotten-teeth,and one-eye.

Haven't seen a blazing baked alaska for a few cruises now.

They use little electric tea lights on the baked Alaska these days. No more open flames in the dining room.

I think the health care costs far outweigh the "sin tax" collected.

Except they may actually reduce overall health costs by dying early, well that is an argument some have made in the past

They use little electric tea lights on the baked Alaska these days. No more open flames in the dining room.

:eek:damn i walked out to early,ill revise my comment cant wait to attend a cringe worthy baked alaska ceremony with electric tea lights.Im sure they were flaming flames on the dawn in feb,damn sure of it,or it could have been the wine i suppose:cool:

Except they may actually reduce overall health costs by dying early, well that is an argument some have made in the past

And that sin tax doesn't go directly to paying health care costs. Different jurisdictions use it for all kinds of stuff. Some of it pays for preschool in California. The politicians don't care where the money come from; they just want it. They will miss it when it's gone, and then they'll find something else to call a "sin" and tax it.

They've already limited the smoking areas to a minimum & probably cut profits by doing so. I seriously doubt if they want to antagonize the smokers any more since 1/3 of the American families have a smoker, especially the older generation.

Check the research which concludes that most studies find that smoking bans leave restaurant, bar, or gaming revenues unaffected by such bans.

You might find an old research article done by a tobacco company that seems different but this is not what really happens in the real world according to most unbiased research studies.

Princess would do just fine and maybe even be more profitable if smoking was banned on all of it's ships.

I am sure the day is coming!!! :cool:

Check the research which concludes that most studies find that smoking bans leave restaurant, bar, or gaming revenues unaffected by such bans.

You might find an old research article done by a tobacco company that seems different but this is not what really happens in the real world according to most unbiased research studies.

Princess would do just fine and maybe even be more profitable if smoking was banned on all of it's ships.

I am sure the day is coming!!! :cool:

Like others have said, there's a big difference between a smoker going two hours during dinner without a cig as opposed to 7 days on a cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Like others have said, there's a big difference between a smoker going two hours during dinner without a cig as opposed to 7 days on a cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I know that it was really hard, psychologically, for me to even go two hours without a cigarette. This would have been in my late teens, very early 20s. I quit smoking at about 24.

I used to smoke, I quit about ten years ago. I have no right to pass judgement on those that do.

As far as cruise ships are concerned many have a no smoking policy in the cabins, including balconies. However, some still do smoke. I was in a suite and my neighbors would go smoke on the balcony or even in their cabin. Yes I complained. The smell drifted into my cabin.

Many cruise line impose a onetime cleaning fee. In my opinion it should me multiplied by 10 maybe they will go to the smoking areas. I have no issues with cigarette or cigar smoke in designated areas, just don't want to smell it in my sleeping quarters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And wrong. What a person legally does on her/his/its free time (i.e. non-working hours) is not the company's concern.

Our hospital where I work will NOT hire a smoker. They make that statement loud and clear and ask that smokers do not even apply. For those smokers already employed before the new policy, they are charged an extra $100/month for health insurance for them and any other family members who smoke. It has become a serious issue to keep health costs down.

I used to smoke, I quit about ten years ago. I have no right to pass judgement on those that do.

As far as cruise ships are concerned many have a no smoking policy in the cabins, including balconies. However, some still do smoke. I was in a suite and my neighbors would go smoke on the balcony or even in their cabin. Yes I complained. The smell drifted into my cabin.

Many cruise line impose a onetime cleaning fee. In my opinion it should me multiplied by 10 maybe they will go to the smoking areas. I have no issues with cigarette or cigar smoke in designated areas, just don't want to smell it in my sleeping quarters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had to give up one of our favorite cruise lines because they continue to allow smoking on the balconies.