Looking for advice regarding transfer back to LAX

Hvdinner

Hi all, I’m looking for some advice about transportation from the Port of Long Beach back to LAX.

Our cruise is in May and arrives back to port on a Thursday. It will be just my teenage daughter and I, we can definitely do self assist and we’ve got an international flight to Alberta, Canada already booked that leaves at 12:00pm. It has come to my attention that this may in fact be pushing the gauntlet a bit in terms of timing so I’m looking for advice or experience from others who have been in the same situation.

Has anyone used the Carnival transportation from the port to the airport? What is their system for prioritizing guests with early flights or do they even take note of that? They are twice the price of the other shuttle companies, yet still less expensive than a taxi. I was kind of thinking that as long as we were on the road by 9:00 am giving us an hour to get there, we’d be there 2 hours prior to our flight time and that that would be plenty.... but it was advised to me that arriving 3 hours prior to my flight would be better. Now that means I better be of the very first people getting off the ship and I better have a really reliable transportation plan!

I know it’s looking like grabbing a taxi would be best, but I honestly don’t want to pay $75 or more out of paranoia if I can pre-book an outside shuttle for $30... But is going with the Carnival shuttle priced in the middle at $60 sort of my best bet? Being a Canadian I’ve got the exchange rate to contend with so I want to be smart about my decisions, but I also don’t want to miss my flight!;)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi all, I’m looking for some advice about transportation from the Port of Long Beach back to LAX.

Our cruise is in May and arrives back to port on a Thursday. It will be just my teenage daughter and I, we can definitely do self assist and we’ve got an international flight to Alberta, Canada already booked that leaves at 12:00pm. It has come to my attention that this may in fact be pushing the gauntlet a bit in terms of timing so I’m looking for advice or experience from others who have been in the same situation.

Has anyone used the Carnival transportation from the port to the airport? What is their system for prioritizing guests with early flights or do they even take note of that? They are twice the price of the other shuttle companies, yet still less expensive than a taxi. I was kind of thinking that as long as we were on the road by 9:00 am giving us an hour to get there, we’d be there 2 hours prior to our flight time and that that would be plenty.... but it was advised to me that arriving 3 hours prior to my flight would be better. Now that means I better be of the very first people getting off the ship and I better have a really reliable transportation plan!

I know it’s looking like grabbing a taxi would be best, but I honestly don’t want to pay $75 or more out of paranoia if I can pre-book an outside shuttle for $30... But is going with the Carnival shuttle priced in the middle at $60 sort of my best bet? Being a Canadian I’ve got the exchange rate to contend with so I want to be smart about my decisions, but I also don’t want to miss my flight!;)

Thanks in advance for any help!

I would go with Super Shuttle or Prime Time. Much cheaper and they only have to wait for about 7-8 passengers before they can leave. They load up pretty fast. Usually, there is no waiting. The Carnival shuttle is a huge bus and waits until it fills up before leaving. Not only a lot more people to wait for but maybe others who have a late flight and take their time getting off the ship.

We have sometimes had flights earlier than yours and made it. Check in at LAX is pretty easy for Canadians as our lines are not super crazy. After security, our gates are usually right there so not a lot of walking to get to gates. 2 hours should give you plenty of time.

However, I would recommend that you self assist and get off as early as possible. Everything seems to back up the longer you take to get off the ship.

Thanks Mary! So then if I go with Super Shuttle would it be best to pre-book or just go out and I'll find them? Pre-booking has me giving them my flight time and them telling me my pick up time is 8:30am. How well am I going to be able to control making sure I am outside for 8:30? On the Imagination, what is the typical time they start disembarkation? We are not getting FTTF or have any special status obviously...

We did Super Shuttle. We reserved on the way to the port but on the way back we just walked up to the curve with no reservations and we were on our way to the airport within 20 minutes. They had multiple Super Shuttle vans waiting. Both ways we made 1-2 stops for people getting on/off at nearby hotels but the inconvenience was small compared to the money that we saved.

Edited by Tapi

Ditto with Super Shuttle. They are fast and efficient and cheaper than Carnival. If you hook up with a Carnival transfer, they have full charge of you. You will be herded to a lounge and wait and wait. Then you'll be herded onto a bus and IMHO, it's just too much control of yourself given to Carnival. I also prepay the tip so I'm not fumbling around for money.

It has been a few years but never pre booked. Usually there are always lots of shuttles waiting outside. Some are waiting for pre booked passengers but usually room for walk ups.

By not pre booking, we have a choice of choosing which shuttle to go with. Super Shuttle or Prime Time. We used to always go to a Super Shuttle first but last time, the Super Shuttle was waiting for a booked passenger and since Prime Time was ready to leave, we went with them.

However, some are more comfortable with having a pre arranged ride.

Enjoy your cruise!

By reserving a spot on Super Shuttle you are guaranteed a seat at the time you want to head to the airport. They notify you via text and even will tell you what van # you have.

For the Uber question, I've never used uber and I'm a little leery of getting into a car with an unknown person.

Ditto with Super Shuttle. They are fast and efficient and cheaper than Carnival. If you hook up with a Carnival transfer, they have full charge of you. You will be herded to a lounge and wait and wait. Then you'll be herded onto a bus and IMHO, it's just too much control of yourself given to Carnival. I also prepay the tip so I'm not fumbling around for money.

This is what we did and cost about 20 pp.

For the Uber question, I've never used uber and I'm a little leery of getting into a car with an unknown person.

I was SUPER skeptical about using Uber, until I tried it. Now I actually feel safer than taking a regular taxi. You actually know more about the person driving you than you'll ever know about any taxi or shuttle driver. When you request your ride, you can see the name and photo of the driver, the car make and model, the license plate, and you see a real time moving map of where your driver is. You can also follow your route on the app as you ride to make sure that you're going where you're supposed to be going. Overall, your ride is being tracked very closely, possibly closer than your ride on any other means of ground transportation.

Los Angeles is the only place I've ever used Uber (I'm Australian) and it was awesome. I never waited more than two minutes. Be ready to go when you book one, because they are right around the corner.

If an Uber driver is going to do something bad to you, well they'll spend a long time in prison. The app has already linked you - time, place, names and exact location!

We used Uber to Long Beach from LAX in February. The driver called us and told us he'd be there in three minutes. It was a white Prius and had more than enough room for my wife and I, plus two checked bags and two backpacks.

It cost $32.

Thanks everyone! The Uber route is intriguing... I think I'm deciding between Uber and pre-booking super shuttle, but am wondering what happens if I'm not there right at 8:30am for my scheduled pick up? If I need to get on the next available shuttle will I lose my prepayment because it's my fault for missing my timing? Is being off the boat and through customs by 8:30 something I could realistically accomplish with no worries?

And something else, I'm thinking I might want to pick up some booze in Mexico which I will need to pick up the morning of departure... how early can I get that? Kahlua is so much cheaper there than at home but I don't want to miss a flight over it! ha! ha!

Wife and I self assisted on Inspiration and was off the ship by 730, and at LAX by 830 for a 12:20 flight.

We used Carnival's shuttle to return to the airport, and would recommend that over Uber as it might be a longer wait for it in Long Beach. Also, if disembarking on a weekday, the shuttles are smart enough to use the HOV lane on the highway which can get quite congested during rush hours.

Edited by TomAceEsq

I had a bad time last time getting back through LA to LAX on Supper shuttle..I had reservations...but we waited to leave until full, long after my time..another 45 minutes....and then stopped all over before getting to airport hotel..I was next to last...perhaps as I had a time and was just going to an airport hotel..they let this happen.

Edited by sjn911

Here's another idea! When my husband and I returned from our Miracle cruise to Hawaii, we decided to take an evening flight home [we live on the east coast of Canada]. To fill our day, we booked a tour with Sunseeker Tours. I think the tour was called "L.A. In A Day...Hollywood, L.A. and The Beaches".

The shuttle picked us up in front of the cruise building in Long Beach [there were four other people already on the shuttle, having been picked up from a Princess cruise ship at the other port], and we spent the whole day touring various famous landmarks like the Hollywood sign, Sunset Blvd, Mel's Diner, Venice Beach, etc. Then the shuttle took us to the airport. The total cost was no more than a taxi would have been, but we got to extend our vacation by another day, and my husband and I both rank this tour as one of the best we've taken!

Uber is super simple......Plus if you've never used them you can download the App and get a Free $20 bonus on your first ride.....Just search Uber coupon code.

Here's one code for $20 Off your first ride. UBERFREEDEAL20

Just input it when you download the Uber App on your phone....Put it where it says Promo Code

We've used Uber over 10 times now and it's sooo much better and easier that a taxi or shuttle.....Shuttle you'll have other people with you and depending on the terminal at LAX you might get stuck sitting and waiting while they drop other people off first

Edited by LaCal

Here's another idea! When my husband and I returned from our Miracle cruise to Hawaii, we decided to take an evening flight home [we live on the east coast of Canada]. To fill our day, we booked a tour with Sunseeker Tours. I think the tour was called "L.A. In A Day...Hollywood, L.A. and The Beaches".

The shuttle picked us up in front of the cruise building in Long Beach [there were four other people already on the shuttle, having been picked up from a Princess cruise ship at the other port], and we spent the whole day touring various famous landmarks like the Hollywood sign, Sunset Blvd, Mel's Diner, Venice Beach, etc. Then the shuttle took us to the airport. The total cost was no more than a taxi would have been, but we got to extend our vacation by another day, and my husband and I both rank this tour as one of the best we've taken!

That is actually a great idea! Unfortunately one that we personally can't do ourselves though because our flights are already booked. My daughter is missing 4 days of school as it is so we're trying to get her back to go the next day. Because we live 3.5 hours from our airport we always end up with a hotel at the end of a trip cause it usually just takes so long to get to Edmonton from wherever we were. Our cruises have been nice because instead of getting all the way home and staying at an airport hotel before our final drive all the way home, we've stayed in the port city for the night. That allowed us total relaxed freedom debarking and an early flight the next morning where we could then just drive all the way home after.

This is our first time ever flying to California and it's great because it's so much shorter and easier than our Florida cruises. The LA tour sounds like an awesome "way to get to the airport" that I will keep in mind for next time!

I would go with Super Shuttle or Prime Time. Much cheaper and they only have to wait for about 7-8 passengers before they can leave. They load up pretty fast. Usually, there is no waiting. The Carnival shuttle is a huge bus and waits until it fills up before leaving. Not only a lot more people to wait for but maybe others who have a late flight and take their time getting off the ship.

We have sometimes had flights earlier than yours and made it. Check in at LAX is pretty easy for Canadians as our lines are not super crazy. After security, our gates are usually right there so not a lot of walking to get to gates. 2 hours should give you plenty of time.

However, I would recommend that you self assist and get off as early as possible. Everything seems to back up the longer you take to get off the ship.

I agree with mississauga, get off the ship early by letting them know you have an early flight, take one of the shuttles listed(we took Prime Time) and you should be on your way quickly. I also agree that once at LAX check in for AC or WJ is quite quick because the lines are not as long.

Good Luck!