What did you bring on shore at ports?

amy86

We will be on a med cruise in early June. I'm trying to find the right cross body bag to take on the trip, and not sure how big of a bag to get.

We have private tours booked at each port. I plan to take my phone, credit cards, ID, copy of passport, Chapstick, sunscreen, sunglasses and travel battery charger (for phone). We'll use our phone as our camera.

What else did you bring with you on shore, or wish you had with you?

Water or other drinks. A pain to carry and doesn't stay cool for long, but there'll be times you're glad of it.

And something waterproof. It won't be cold in June but you can never be sure about showers - even when a day starts out fine. Just an easy to carry thin poncho-type of thing, even a disposable - just in case.

JB :)

I bought this travelon cross body bag

http://www.amazon.com/Travelon-Anti-Theft-Classic-Messenger-Size/dp/B002B3FWXY/ref=sr_1_10?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1460170397&sr=1-10&nodeID=7141123011&keywords=Travelon+cross+body+bags

It's great. Lots of safety features, outside pockets for a water bottle and a small umbrella. Deep enough to hold my iPad (which I won't be schlepping in Europe but it can) and a really light sweater.

Edited by cardbucfan

On a private tour you need less. On DIY days I make sure that i have a copy of the daily ship guide which gives the number of the port agent in the event of an emergency.

Also enough cash to do a taxi dash back to the ship in the event of public transport failing.

I have never had to use it, but it is nice to know you have a back up.

In any tour I would also make sure I took any necessary medication with me in case of emergency.

We bought a folding backpack on Princess a couple of years ago. One of the best things we've bought. We unfold it and take it ashore on our excursions. Holds everything we need and on private excursions can leave it in the van and don't have to deal with the weight of carrying it around.

Which is why I don't carry a large travel purse ... cross body or not, I don't want to carry the weight which sightseeing.

Usually, we try to avoid carrying any kind of bag as it just attracts thieves. We wear our hats and sunglasses. We apply sunscreen before leaving ship. Passports in side leg pocket, cash and cards in zipper pocket of cargo pants, very discreet. Same pants every port. :) We carry water and guide book in hand. For longer days, l have a small backpack in which l will carry water, sunscreen and guidebook. I don't carry meds ashore( and l take daily meds) or take rain ponchos or umbrellas. Travel light as possible is my intention.

I bought a Healthybackbag for days ashore...not because I have back problems...it just seemed the ideal bag for me. It can be worn across your front with the outside pocket close to your body for security if needed or diagonally across your back...very comfortable.

Many colours are available and several sizes...small suited me and still had many compartments. I carried waterproof, sunglasses, sunscreen, maps, rail timetables, water, sunhat etc etc

In addition to your list, other things I bring: hand sanitizer, band aids or blister bandages, tide to go stick, and a mini notebook and pen. Probably a lot, but I like to be prepared :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I just bought a medium size cross body for my trip. I plan to bring my camera, a bottle of water, my phone, maps, money, a copy of my passport and a credit card. I'll also have sanitizer and chap stick. That will still leave plenty of space in my bag for any souvenirs.

I am away so I have not read the responses.

We bring:

Water

A small first aid kit of bandaids, alcohol wipes, ointment for a cut.

Phone

Telephone number of the port agent

Small Sun Tan Lotion

Money

Credit Card and possibly an ATM Card

Keith