Grandsons birthday on board ship

I want to do something for my grandson who is turning 14 on our cruise. I have checked pricing for rc to decorate the room but seems high in price.Has anyone used them for decorating and is it worth the price.I am thinking of bringing my own and decorate myself.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Yes, it is cheaper to do it yourself. But there is something to be said for RC's package.

My kids purchased the birthday package for each other on a cruise, and they LOVED it. They LOVED walking into the cabin, first thing, and there were all of these decorations!

It's only money. ;)

I agree with Merion Mom about having the surprise when your grandson first walks into the room! However, I have a plan that would be cheaper and accomplish the surprise.

Purchase the decorations before hand in whatever theme your grandson likes, wether it is Star Wars or Muppets. Keep everything in your carry on bag. When the rooms are ready normally around 1pm, have someone in your party go to the room and decorate, and then return to the group. Then you all could go to your stateroom for the FIRST time;);), and he will be surprised and have no idea how it happened!!

I think the price is high, too. Bring a few things to do it yourself. The cabins are small, so a little goes a long way! You can order a cake, if you want to!

I don't know how much the cakes cost, but my SIL had one sent to us on Serenade for our anniversary and it was wonderful!

A happy birthday banner, scotch tape, and a package of balloons will take up no room in your suitcase.

Another suggestion: on the cruise for our daughter's birthday, I made her a tshirt that said "It's my birthday" (you can also get buttons that say that at the party store). Wherever she went, crew members and fellow passengers wished her a happy birthday- it made her feel special!

Edited by micmacmissy

Yes, it is cheaper to do it yourself. But there is something to be said for RC's package.

My kids purchased the birthday package for each other on a cruise, and they LOVED it. They LOVED walking into the cabin, first thing, and there were all of these decorations!

It's only money. ;)

We've done them too and my son loved it. Sometimes you gotta just splurge[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree--visit the Dollar store and bring a few things. Maybe make a door sign. :D

The cake that you can order on the ship is very tasty and I think it is worth it.

Did you order the cake before you sailed or did you order it onboard? I would like to order a cake onboard with OBC. You said it was good, chocolate or vanilla ? TIA

Thanks for all the info, think I will just decorate myself, the shirt is a great idea also.I was wondering about the cake guess I will ask when on board ship. It would be nice to have it at dinner the night of his birthday.

Not sure how you booked, but if through a TA, or RC directly, either way contact them, and they will note the celebration on your reservation. Then the night of his birthday, inform the Maitre D, Head Waiter, and especially your waiter, and they should bring out a special dessert and all the waiters in the section would gather around and sing and make a fuss. We have always had it done, and always see others having it done. On our next Anthem Cruise we have 2 celebrations noted on the reservation, 1 graduation and 1 birthday!

Did you order the cake before you sailed or did you order it onboard? I would like to order a cake onboard with OBC. You said it was good, chocolate or vanilla ? TIA

We ordered our cake in the MDR the day before the birthday. It was a chocolate cake, one of the most delicious I have ever tasted.

I did this once I got on the ship--yes you could use OBC. they do not need much notice. Yes, the cake was very good and they have chocolate and Vanilla. DH likes vanilla, but I have had the chocolate before and it was good, too.

It comes with a clear bubble top to the cake container and they gave us the leftover cake [after sharing on our table of 8] to take back to the cabin.

Edit: I found another thread on this topic that had this posted and it listed the cost as $16.95:

Food & Beverage: [Royal Caribbean Page]

Q: Are Special Occasion Cakes available?

A: We offer Birthday, Anniversary and Special Occasion Cakes fleet-wide for a nominal fee.

There are two types of cakes available: chocolate sponge cake with chocolate butter cream or vanilla sponge cake with vanilla butter cream, both are decorated with flowers on the left side of the cake. These cakes are 6" round and serve 2-10 people. The name (or names) will be written on the cake with a candle placed on top. A minimum of 6 hours advance notice is required. All cakes that are ordered by 12 noon will be served that evening in the main dining room.

The cake will be charged to your Seapass® card or credit card upon request at time of ordering the cake onboard the ship.

If you don't want to purchase a whole cake, just tell your Main Dining Room waiter about the special occasion and who it's for. Our waiters will sing a birthday / anniversary song - with a slice of cake (based on the daily cake offerings for that evening) and a candle prior to serving you the dinner dessert, free of charge.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

We ordered our cake in the MDR the day before the birthday. It was a chocolate cake, one of the most delicious I have ever tasted.

Our was chocolate and outstanding. Our steward brought us clean plates, forks and napkins each day and we had a yummy midnight snack every evening. The cover kept it fresh.

Aviator1945, Dragonoftheseas & handbellplayer, thank you so much for the info. Going to order a chocolate cake for the dining room to really embarrass my son. Thanks again!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk