Calling all Seattle experts!

Blondie008

Hi

We are wee Scottish country people - we live VERY rurally - (we call it Scotland's answer to "Little house on the Prairie) although I was born and raised in Glasgow - we live a very sheltered lifestyle. I still of course visit my home city - and love a night out there with city buzz now and then - I guess you might be asking me the same questions if you were visiting my wonderful Glasgow!

We are MEGA EXCITED to be spending three days and nights in this amazing city. I cannot get enough movies right now which feature Seattle - and am just so thrilled to be going there.

We have our city passes for five attractions - and if I can persuade my husband - (who has Vertigo) I want to do lunch at the Space Needle.

Ok - so safety? I looked at a map and our hotel is pretty much in the heart of things at Pikes Place - but this map showed a high crime rate. Staying at the Warwick.

I know this sounds stupid but is there shootings etc in Seattle? Are tourists targeted? I am getting a wee bit scared to go out at night if this is the case?

We can be pretty vulnerable as we are very trusting - although we will be on our guard -

We are Scots so like a drink and a dance and a party -

How safe are we in Seattle at night - so we need to cab - or are we okay walking around?

Please don't anyone be offended - We are truly looking forward to visiting this wonderful city!

Any good scots/irish bars with good pub grub? Don't like crab - but do love lobster - do the pubs there serve up this kind of food?

We own a smoked salmon company - so although we can imagine there will be lots of salmon in Seattle - we kind of have enough at home ;)

We have plenty opportunity to enjoy great dining on the ship - so thinking more gastro pub food for evenings.

We are staying at the Warwick Hotel - it does appear to have a nice restaurant too - anyone dined there?

Any "don't miss" night times to dos - we are not cabaret fans - don't like shows - but we love love love live music - especially some live soft rock bands - or pop modern live music? Actually we love pretty much all live music - jazz - current house music - not country fans - but if its live and there is an ambience we would go.

Is there a Hard Rock Café in Seattle?

Any "DO NOT GO TO" -

Thoughts on crime - warnings?

I don't want to be scared to go out at night - are there areas we must avoid?

Oh one last question - taxis from the airport to the Warwick - are taxis metered ? How much should we be paying? And taxi from the Warwick to the cruise port? Same thing?

Okay

TOP TIPS - give me yours for Seattle!!! THANK YOU!!!

PS - Seattle has already won my heart - over the last two years we have lost two of our three precious Labradors. I found a wonderful company in Seattle called Artful Ashes - who are making me two beautiful Glass Heart Memorials with my dogs ashes. These guys have been emailing me - and going WAY UP AND OVER their call of duty to help me with everything - arranging pick up of the ashes, and delivery of the hearts after our cruise - awesome people - just so lovely!

You’re going to have a fine time. At its most threatening, downtown Seattle doesn’t come close to midnight on Sauchiehall Street, never mind 5 PM at Ibrox after Celtic have won. (Come to think of it, Afghanistan is probably safer than that.)

How rural are you? Applecross? Staffa? Just wondering.

Okay, some answers. First, the area around the Warwick is walkable and quite safe. Use the same practices you would in Glesga and you’ll be fine. Don’t go walking around at 3 AM with $100 bills (notes) hanging out of your pockets, okay? But really, ours is a very safe city.

Music/dance/drink… well, where to start? First, look here: http://www.thestranger.com/things-to-do for very extensive listings of music, shows, pub guides, etc.

There are Irish-themed pubs all over town, but comparatively few Scottish ones. One that I know of is fairly new, Macleod’s in the Ballard district a few miles north of your hotel, http://macleodsballard.com/ . If you’re up for it, there’s an easy bus that runs block or so from the Warwick right to the corner where this pub is situated, and only takes around 20 – 25 min (runs late, too.) Use the transit system’s trip planner - http://m.tripplanner.kingcounty.gov/ - for route and time information.

Macleod’s might be a good idea, because the street it’s located in, Ballard Avenue, is chockablock with pubs, restaurants and music venues – it’s a VERY happening part of town, very enjoyable. http://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=musi...+Seattle%2C+WA

For jazz, one of the best venues on the west coast is little more than a block from your hotel, Dimitriou’s Jazz Alley - http://www.jazzalley.com/www-home/ . The food is pretty good there, too.

The restaurant in the Warwick is quite good. And the hotel is very well situated for other good places to eat. Most importantly, you shouldn’t miss Top Pot Doughnuts, also a block from the hotel - http://www.toppotdoughnuts.com/

Not sure if you’re going to find lobster on any pub menus; most are more oriented to burgers, etc. Lobster is an east coast/Atlantic thing anyway, except for giant mutant lobsters from Australia. How are you with oysters?

However for a bona fide gastropub, one of the best is Spur, three blocks from your hotel. http://www.mccrackentough.com/spur/

Taxis from the airport are metered; you’re looking at around $45 - $50. Returning to the airport from downtown hotels (also Pier 66 but not Pier 91) they have a flat rate that is either $40 or $45 (not sure). However, there are nice towncars/limos available right next to the taxi stand at the airport that have flat rates to downtown; they’re more comfortable IMO.

Hope this helps. Oh, by the way, there’s no “s” in Pike Place Market.

Welcome to Seattle and lang may yer lum reek!

You’re going to have a fine time. At its most threatening, downtown Seattle doesn’t come close to midnight on Sauchiehall Street, never mind 5 PM at Ibrox after Celtic have won. (Come to think of it, Afghanistan is probably safer than that.)

How rural are you? Applecross? Staffa? Just wondering.

Okay, some answers. First, the area around the Warwick is walkable and quite safe. Use the same practices you would in Glesga and you’ll be fine. Don’t go walking around at 3 AM with $100 bills (notes) hanging out of your pockets, okay? But really, ours is a very safe city.

Music/dance/drink… well, where to start? First, look here: http://www.thestranger.com/things-to-do for very extensive listings of music, shows, pub guides, etc.

There are Irish-themed pubs all over town, but comparatively few Scottish ones. One that I know of is fairly new, Macleod’s in the Ballard district a few miles north of your hotel, http://macleodsballard.com/ . If you’re up for it, there’s an easy bus that runs block or so from the Warwick right to the corner where this pub is situated, and only takes around 20 – 25 min (runs late, too.) Use the transit system’s trip planner - http://m.tripplanner.kingcounty.gov/ - for route and time information.

Macleod’s might be a good idea, because the street it’s located in, Ballard Avenue, is chockablock with pubs, restaurants and music venues – it’s a VERY happening part of town, very enjoyable. http://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=musi...+Seattle%2C+WA

For jazz, one of the best venues on the west coast is little more than a block from your hotel, Dimitriou’s Jazz Alley - http://www.jazzalley.com/www-home/ . The food is pretty good there, too.

The restaurant in the Warwick is quite good. And the hotel is very well situated for other good places to eat. Most importantly, you shouldn’t miss Top Pot Doughnuts, also a block from the hotel - http://www.toppotdoughnuts.com/

Not sure if you’re going to find lobster on any pub menus; most are more oriented to burgers, etc. Lobster is an east coast/Atlantic thing anyway, except for giant mutant lobsters from Australia. How are you with oysters?

However for a bona fide gastropub, one of the best is Spur, three blocks from your hotel. http://www.mccrackentough.com/spur/

Taxis from the airport are metered; you’re looking at around $45 - $50. Returning to the airport from downtown hotels (also Pier 66 but not Pier 91) they have a flat rate that is either $40 or $45 (not sure). However, there are nice towncars/limos available right next to the taxi stand at the airport that have flat rates to downtown; they’re more comfortable IMO.

Hope this helps. Oh, by the way, there’s no “s” in Pike Place Market.

Welcome to Seattle and lang may yer lum reek!

You are an absolute star! THANK YOU!

I will print this off tomorrow and store it for sure!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Its been a long time since I hung around Sauchiehall Street late at night - I guess you are right on that one - :D

This is fantastic info - thank you from the bottom of my heart! XX

How rural?

well this is my main road this evening - about 20 miles from home - it gets busier when we get to this area :) We went out for a supper tonight (about a 50 mile round trip) - but it was a stunning sunset evening -

Well at least it has a line down the middle, not single-track, so I guess that means you're on the grid. ;)

I used to live in Edinburgh and worked in Glasgow, but my work took me to the north and west a lot. This is my idea of rural...

20130614_118Hs.jpg

You've already gotten some good advice, but I'll see if I can add a few suggestions...

The Warwick is located in Belltown, which is a hotspot for nightlife. One advantage to that is the streets are rarely deserted in the evenings. The biggest risk there (and it's not a big one) is probably getting caught up in someone else's drunken stupidity. If you find yourself in the middle of a group of people who start misbehaving in the way people with too much alcohol and raging hormones in them can do, just walk away, quickly.

There are a few clubs with live music near the Warwick. The Crocodile tends more toward harder, edgier sounds, but it's worth a look at who is playing there when you're in town. Another nearby place where you can catch some good touring artists is the Moore Theater. The Triple Door, which is downtown, is also worth a look. The Tractor Tavern is out in Ballard--you'd need a cab to get there--but they might have the kind of music you'd like. The Stranger does have the best entertainment calendar in town, but keep in mind that it's aimed at a young, edgy, hipper-than-hip audience, and that's going to color their commentary--their tastes may not always be your tastes.

Lunch at the Space Needle is a great idea--especially if you'd be going up to the observation deck anyway, and then out to a nice lunch somewhere else. The menu is overpriced, but when you figure in the elevator ride (you pay to go to the observation deck only, but it's included if you eat at the restaurant), it's not so bad. Do make reservations--you'll need them to get a table during summer, and that lets you bypass the long line for the elevator.

Local 360 is a well-regarded gastropub not far from your hotel, in Belltown. Another possibility nearby is Black Bottle, also in Belltown. On Capitol Hill, you might want to look at Oddfellows Cafe, or Quinn's Pub. If you get out to Ballard, another place to try is Bramling Cross, one of local celebrity chef Ethan Stowell's places. Tom Douglas, another local chef with a a dozen wildly popular restaurants, has Brave Horse Tavern in South Lane Union.

Enjoy!

Well at least it has a line down the middle, not single-track, so I guess that means you're on the grid. ;)

I used to live in Edinburgh and worked in Glasgow, but my work took me to the north and west a lot. This is my idea of rural...

20130614_118Hs.jpg

Well - actually - although of course we have a roof etc - we have no neighbours and the outlook is very similar

Our nearest neighbour is 3 miles.

There are two roads which I can use to get to the main city areas north.

The one I showed and the other is indeed a "Passing place" single track - LOL!

We often have to use it too as the road I showed often gets loaded with pothols and closed off.

As I get older - I appreciate rural life even more - I do love a city day out - but its nice to come home at night

My dentist is a 200 mile around trip - but that aside - online shopping solves most things :)

You've already gotten some good advice, but I'll see if I can add a few suggestions...

The Warwick is located in Belltown, which is a hotspot for nightlife. One advantage to that is the streets are rarely deserted in the evenings. The biggest risk there (and it's not a big one) is probably getting caught up in someone else's drunken stupidity. If you find yourself in the middle of a group of people who start misbehaving in the way people with too much alcohol and raging hormones in them can do, just walk away, quickly.

There are a few clubs with live music near the Warwick. The Crocodile tends more toward harder, edgier sounds, but it's worth a look at who is playing there when you're in town. Another nearby place where you can catch some good touring artists is the Moore Theater. The Triple Door, which is downtown, is also worth a look. The Tractor Tavern is out in Ballard--you'd need a cab to get there--but they might have the kind of music you'd like. The Stranger does have the best entertainment calendar in town, but keep in mind that it's aimed at a young, edgy, hipper-than-hip audience, and that's going to color their commentary--their tastes may not always be your tastes.

Lunch at the Space Needle is a great idea--especially if you'd be going up to the observation deck anyway, and then out to a nice lunch somewhere else. The menu is overpriced, but when you figure in the elevator ride (you pay to go to the observation deck only, but it's included if you eat at the restaurant), it's not so bad. Do make reservations--you'll need them to get a table during summer, and that lets you bypass the long line for the elevator.

Local 360 is a well-regarded gastropub not far from your hotel, in Belltown. Another possibility nearby is Black Bottle, also in Belltown. On Capitol Hill, you might want to look at Oddfellows Cafe, or Quinn's Pub. If you get out to Ballard, another place to try is Bramling Cross, one of local celebrity chef Ethan Stowell's places. Tom Douglas, another local chef with a a dozen wildly popular restaurants, has Brave Horse Tavern in South Lane Union.

Enjoy!

WOW - Fantastic - thank you so much this is brilliant info - So excited we have three nights here before the cruise - so much to see and do!

I bought the city pass for five attractions, I wanted to book lunch at the Space Needle but my husband is a fearty when it comes to heights - so I have to wait and see if he will be brave enough,. I am thinking use the pass first time on prob day 2 - to see if I can get him up there, and if he is ok with it - book lunch for day 3.

This is great information folks - thank you so much!

If you go to Seattle's Hard Rock, get the local legendary, its a coffee crusted burger patty and make sure to add the special sauce.

Oh we will thank you!

That's a dead cert! Whether its lunch or supper I'm not sure but we will DEF be going to the HRC :) and I will order this!

Stayed in downtown Seattle 2 years ago. Safe in the daytime , except for the aggressive "in your face"panhandlers. At the time I was in Seattle, a cruise person was shot in the Belltown area. On the news, they said the Belltown area was one of the more dangerous places in downtown Seattle. I think you will be alright as long as you don't go out after dark and keep aware of your surroundings. In June and early July, it gets dark around 10PM.

Things I liked in Seattle when I visited:

Space Needle

Chihuly Garden & Glass

Pike Place Market

Ferry

Great Wheel

Piroshki Piroshki Bakery (all the sweets and the meat n cheese)

I always felt safe though I was, of course, aware of my surroundings. I was there for 7 days in May and not one drop of rain :)

I had a lot of fun and hope you enjoy the city as well.

Stayed in downtown Seattle 2 years ago. Safe in the daytime , except for the aggressive "in your face"panhandlers. At the time I was in Seattle, a cruise person was shot in the Belltown area. On the news, they said the Belltown area was one of the more dangerous places in downtown Seattle. I think you will be alright as long as you don't go out after dark and keep aware of your surroundings. In June and early July, it gets dark around 10PM.

Whats a "panhandler"?

Hmm - we are of course going out after dark - take it we can call a cab from whichever pub/restaurant we are in?

I think I read the red danger area too was Belltown which (correct me if I am wrong) is where the Warwick Hotel is? I guess we will dress down - jeans - casual wear - no bling - just be low key and watch ourselves - I just don't want us to be afraid to go out - We wont travel East anymore (very sad as we can do long weekends in Marrakech!) - we have always felt safer travelling in the Western World - I just happened to read something about crime alerts in Seattle and I guess it made me stop and think.

Anyway, we will be fine - I am sure - like any big city worldwide - its just a case of being sensible :)

Edited by Blondie008

Things I liked in Seattle when I visited:

Space Needle

Chihuly Garden & Glass

Pike Place Market

Ferry

Great Wheel

Piroshki Piroshki Bakery (all the sweets and the meat n cheese)

I always felt safe though I was, of course, aware of my surroundings. I was there for 7 days in May and not one drop of rain :)

I had a lot of fun and hope you enjoy the city as well.

It really does seem to be a fantastic city. My niece and her boyfriend did a USA road trip recently - she told me out of all the places they visited - Seattle was their favourite :)

It would be nice if we managed to have rain free days - but hey, we are Scots - we are waterproof ;)

Whats a "panhandler"?

A panhandler is someone who asks for spare change, etc. Oftentimes homeless, the ones in Seattle are some of the most aggressive I've ever experienced. They're not typically dangerous, but they can be very persistent and sometimes seem to be dense in population.

Whats a "panhandler"?

Hmm - we are of course going out after dark - take it we can call a cab from whichever pub/restaurant we are in?

I think I read the red danger area too was Belltown which (correct me if I am wrong) is where the Warwick Hotel is? I guess we will dress down - jeans - casual wear - no bling - just be low key and watch ourselves - I just don't want us to be afraid to go out - We wont travel East anymore (very sad as we can do long weekends in Marrakech!) - we have always felt safer travelling in the Western World - I just happened to read something about crime alerts in Seattle and I guess it made me stop and think.

Anyway, we will be fine - I am sure - like any big city worldwide - its just a case of being sensible :)

As I recall Belltown is on 1st and 2nd Ave and the Warwick Hotel is on 4th Ave which is more of the north central Downtown area.

If you like aviation, two things to recommend: the Boeing Factory Tour in Everett ($18pp off-peak, $20pp peak season), where you'll see how they build 747s, 777s, and 787s (plus 767s in the distance). It's 20+ minutes north of Seattle, in Everett, and it's the largest building in the world by volume, occupying 94 acres x 80' tall or so. 747s are mostly built "from scratch" there, while 777s do have some components brought in from other suppliers, and 787s have major components flown in on modified "Dreamlifter" 747s. It's amazing (at least to me) to think that every month, one 747, 2-3 767s, 8+ 777s, and 5 787s emerge from that building. (It's a shame though that they don't offer tours of their Renton plant, where almost every workday, two 737s emerge from the factory, have a few essential checks done, and fly away, "never" to return again.)

There's also the Museum of Flight, south of Seattle (proper, though north of SeaTac), with a vast collection of all sorts of aircraft. Tons of exhibits indoors, including a room of historic Boeing machinery and planes, a room of warbirds, a great hall with all sorts of flying machines, and a special pavilion across the street (that's getting a roof finally!) with the very first 727, the first production 737, the very first 747, one of the first 787s, a Concorde, and a 707 that served as Air Force One for four presidents. Several of the aircraft in the pavilion will be open for walk-through (things are a bit of a jumble while they build the roof). The adjacent building has a Full Fuselage Trainer from the Space Shuttle program.

So...if you're into aviation, there's a couple suggestions. ;)

You should be OK on 4th Ave. but I wouldn't wander down to 1st or 2nd.

Also you can take the Light Rail from the airport to downtown and then take a cab to your hotel from the Light Rail station. Save some money if you don't have too much luggage to haul around.

If you're interested in Seattle's local live music scene, check out the Crocodile: http://www.thecrocodile.com/

Belltown (the most densely populated area of Seattle) varies tremendously depending on the day of the week and the time of day, but really the only time you don't want to be outside is Friday and Saturday night around 1-3 AM. The bars ALL close at precisely 2 AM, so if there's gonna be trouble, it's most likely gonna happen at 2:10 AM.

Use common sense, as you would in any city, and you'll be fine.

Here's a link to the seattle.gov Belltown crime map: https://data.seattle.gov/Public-Safety/Belltown-Crime-Map/iarc-r7fe

As for the homeless, I posted this on another thread:

"Areas to avoid - nothing to worry about during the day, other than panhandlers, some of whom can be aggressive and some who need psychiatric care. Seattle has a huge homeless population (4th in the nation among major metropolitan areas) -- when a 400 s.f. studio rents for $1,300+, you're pricing out a lot of working class folks. During the summer, there are nearly 4,000 people sleeping outdoors with another 4,000 - 6,000 in various shelters, so yes, it's a pretty big problem. Don't engage, don't give money, and don't try to help. "

(P.S. I've lived here since 1989, and Belltown deserved its bad rep back then, but it's improved tremendously.)

Edited by TheSecondSister

Seattle has one of the largest populations of homeless people on the west coast and they cause a lot of crime. A lot of the crime in Seattle doesn’t get reported by the news so most people don’t know how bad it really is. Both my wife and I have concealed weapons permits and carry a weapon when we leave home. Just use good common sense and you should be fine. If you’re approached by someone asking for money, just keep on walking, do not give them any money.

The Space Needle is over rated. I’d recommend going to the top of the Columbia tower http://www.skyviewobservatory.com/ The views from up there are much better than from the Space Needle.

Instead of having lunch at the Space Needle go to Ivar’s on the waterfront http://www.ivars.com/locations/acres-of-clams or Antony’s https://www.anthonys.com/restaurants/detail/anthonys-pier-66 , you’ll get a better lunch and it’ll probably cost less.

I also highly recommend going out to the Museum of Flight https://www.museumofflight.org/ at Boeing field. You can take the city bus from town there. I doubt if you’ll have time to go up to the Everett Boeing plant.

Do not forget to go to Pike Place Market http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/ Buy some flowers for your cabin on the ship.

The only problem I see your going to have is finding enough time to do everything that you want to do. But I think you’ll have a wonderful time.