Calling all Seattle experts!

Blondie008

OK, first off...do NOT be scared of Uber. Do you have a smart phone? If so, just download the Uber app. Anytime you need a ride, you click the app and you see how far away the nearest car is, who the driver is, exactly how much they are going to charge you and how long until they will pull up in front of you. If you don't like what you see, cancel it on your phone and request another one. Totally safe and since you have already put your credit card in, you don't need to have any cash.

Now, let's talk Eastside. Seattle is part of the Puget Sound area. The entire area is split right down the middle by a HUGE lake. I mean a really big lake. Check a map. It's called Lake Washington and it stretches the entire east side of Seattle. On the other side of the lake are the suburbs known as the Eastside. Communities like Bellevue (the Seattle area's shopping mecca), Redmond (home of Microsoft), Kirkland (Seattle's answer to Sausalito), Woodinville (Washington's wine capital and a MUST-SEE if you love wine) and many other communities. You would get there across the world's longest (and newest) floating bridge (it's toll so know that if you drive it) that my wife drives every day to work.

I would not bother with the Eastside unless you have a rental car. You could easily rent a car for a day but when we have friends here from out of town, we only include the Eastside if they are here for three days. One other great place to see on the Eastside is Snoqualamie Falls, an amazing waterfall in Snoqualamie (another Eastside community).

I use Blackberry and avoid using it on vacation. Apps don't work on it - I don't do apple products.

We do need a taxi company and no - wont use Uber. Its just not for us. We are not very city minded and no - we want back up and security every step of the way - Uber is not for us. Period. But thanks for your advice.

I read about this company and it gets rave reviews

http://eastsideforhire.net/reservations/

We NEVER drive on vacation and lord forbid in a city on the wrong side of the road hahaha :eek:

Waterfalls - we live amongst many beautiful falls, and of course will see them in Alaska - we have lots of attractions booked and if we manage to get around them in the two full days we have we will be doing well.

For us, we are looking forward to the vibe of Seattle and plan on doing some spur of the moment stuff -

Many thanks for your input :)

I use Blackberry and avoid using it on vacation. Apps don't work on it - I don't do apple products.

We do need a taxi company and no - wont use Uber. Its just not for us. We are not very city minded and no - we want back up and security every step of the way - Uber is not for us. Period. But thanks for your advice.

I read about this company and it gets rave reviews

http://eastsideforhire.net/reservations/

We NEVER drive on vacation and lord forbid in a city on the wrong side of the road hahaha :eek:

Waterfalls - we live amongst many beautiful falls, and of course will see them in Alaska - we have lots of attractions booked and if we manage to get around them in the two full days we have we will be doing well.

For us, we are looking forward to the vibe of Seattle and plan on doing some spur of the moment stuff -

Many thanks for your input :)

I won't try and convince you any further about Uber but I would NEVER ride with Eastide for Hire. They are the WORST drivers in Seattle. Mostly because 90% of the drivers are newly arrived from Africa and have never driven in a city before. Just have the Warwick call you a cab. Eastside for Hire is just a cab company.

I won't try and convince you any further about Uber but I would NEVER ride with Eastide for Hire. They are the WORST drivers in Seattle. Mostly because 90% of the drivers are newly arrived from Africa and have never driven in a city before. Just have the Warwick call you a cab. Eastside for Hire is just a cab company.

I'm afraid I have to agree with my husband, DrKoob. Eastside for Hire has some of the worst taxi drivers. Frankly, I don't think there are any good taxi drivers in Seattle, but they seem to have some of the worst. Sometimes I'm not sure how the taxi and limo drivers in Seattle ever got a driver's license! Especially if they are driving a Prius (my apologies to all Prius drivers on this thread).

Also wouldn't get in an Eastside for Hire Prius-with-300,000 miles on it. I feel like their drivers and cars are the ones that couldn't pass the inspection and background check to drive for Uber.

Hey! You should try it.:D I drove from Glasgow to Dornie in the Highlands to see Eileen Donan. My wife is a McCray(ae). Then we drove to Edinburgh, spent two days and then back to Glasgow to fly to Paris. Nowhere near as bad as driving in Sicily.

Jim

Okay - goodness

This is getting scarier - surely a city like Seattle has respectable cab firms.

How about at the airport - are the cabs okay to pick up there outside to get to Belltown from the airport?

I read a lot of great reviews on Eastside for hire -

And yes, will ask hotel to sort us out I am sure they have their regulars.

Hey! You should try it.:D I drove from Glasgow to Dornie in the Highlands to see Eileen Donan. My wife is a McCray(ae). Then we drove to Edinburgh, spent two days and then back to Glasgow to fly to Paris. Nowhere near as bad as driving in Sicily.

Jim

No chance - we don't even take our car to the airport two hours away - we have someone drive us up the night before.

NEVER drive on vacation - not ever. We just don't want to. We like to drink and enjoy ourselves - who needs the hassle of a car. My husband can drive on the wrong side of the road no problem - but just chooses not to. Sometimes when we rent a villa in Turkey or the Canaries he will drive - but seldom. We would rather take a cab.

Does anyone have the name of a reputable taxi firm that is not Uber? I am against Uber also in principle and would not like to see taxi drivers here at home, who strive to earn a living, and pay hefty license and radio rental fees - be wiped out of business by Uber. I just don't agree with it and that's my personal view. I wont support it - and as I don't use APPS either - its just not for me.

I could however use a taxi firm if anyone knows of a good one - I am surprised at this as EastSideForHire has numerous terrific reviews...

No chance - we don't even take our car to the airport two hours away - we have someone drive us up the night before.

NEVER drive on vacation - not ever. We just don't want to. We like to drink and enjoy ourselves - who needs the hassle of a car. My husband can drive on the wrong side of the road no problem - but just chooses not to. Sometimes when we rent a villa in Turkey or the Canaries he will drive - but seldom. We would rather take a cab.

Does anyone have the name of a reputable taxi firm that is not Uber? I am against Uber also in principle and would not like to see taxi drivers here at home, who strive to earn a living, and pay hefty license and radio rental fees - be wiped out of business by Uber. I just don't agree with it and that's my personal view. I wont support it - and as I don't use APPS either - its just not for me.

I could however use a taxi firm if anyone knows of a good one - I am surprised at this as EastSideForHire has numerous terrific reviews...

The problem with terrific reviews is that they can write them themselves. I don't know of any Seattlite that would use them. I certainly wouldn't. As I see it, you have two transportation issues. Getting in from the airport and getting around in Seattle.

The first can be done by bus, train, cab, shuttle or hired car. I would think if you want to save some money, do the train. Get off at Westlake and your hotel (The Warwick right?) is easily walkable.

Another good option for you might be Shuttle Express. Google them. They would take you on a shared van into the city. They are fairly economical.

When we fly out, we usually hire a town car. I will try and find one with good reviews to pick us up at our house and take us to the airport and then to pick us up and take us back. I would love to recommend one of them but to be honest after doing this for at least 10 cruises in the last 5 years, there is not one that didn't mess up in some way or another. One was so late we almost missed our flight. Another one got lost going to the airport :eek:It's nuts.

But getting in from the airport and back to it should be your only concern. Let your hotel recommend drivers/cabs for your around town needs or grab the Hop On Hop Off bus.

Last, a quick note about Uber vs taxis. In some places (like where you are) taxi drivers pay hefty license fees and radio rental fees. Here the taxi companies are owned by corporations and they hire new immigrants at rock bottom wages so when you use Uber or Lyft in Seattle, the only people you are hurting is a corporation. Many of the taxi drivers move to Uber or Lyft as soon as they can.

The problem with terrific reviews is that they can write them themselves. I don't know of any Seattlite that would use them. I certainly wouldn't. As I see it, you have two transportation issues. Getting in from the airport and getting around in Seattle.

The first can be done by bus, train, cab, shuttle or hired car. I would think if you want to save some money, do the train. Get off at Westlake and your hotel (The Warwick right?) is easily walkable.

Another good option for you might be Shuttle Express. Google them. They would take you on a shared van into the city. They are fairly economical.

When we fly out, we usually hire a town car. I will try and find one with good reviews to pick us up at our house and take us to the airport and then to pick us up and take us back. I would love to recommend one of them but to be honest after doing this for at least 10 cruises in the last 5 years, there is not one that didn't mess up in some way or another. One was so late we almost missed our flight. Another one got lost going to the airport :eek:It's nuts.

But getting in from the airport and back to it should be your only concern. Let your hotel recommend drivers/cabs for your around town needs or grab the Hop On Hop Off bus.

Last, a quick note about Uber vs taxis. In some places (like where you are) taxi drivers pay hefty license fees and radio rental fees. Here the taxi companies are owned by corporations and they hire new immigrants at rock bottom wages so when you use Uber or Lyft in Seattle, the only people you are hurting is a corporation. Many of the taxi drivers move to Uber or Lyft as soon as they can.

I work really hard - I don't mind coughing up on vacation - not using bus (shock horror me on a bus :eek:) trains, shuttles etc etc - After a journey from Glasgow - London - Seattle - and a six hour time difference - I want an easy route and I don't travel light;) We want to go out for a few beers that evening too - get into USA timezone :)

So cab it is - cab for everything lol!

Oh - we like HoHo - would use that by day for sure! Didn't realise there was one. That's brilliant - must look into that more - we love HoHo for getting around cities alien to us :)

And yes, hmm - I see the differences you have with Uber there - good point!

Thank you so much for all your very kind input - will come back and let you know how it goes and Eastside is now off our list - thank you!

Yellow cab has the contract for taxi service from Pier 91 so that's the only one I know anything about. I've not heard anything bad about them, but nobody has ever lauded them either to be honest.

As to Uber, the only thing I know about them is that this past weekend, an Uber driver dropped off a couple at Pier 91 who were crusing on Norwegian which sails out of Pier 66, not 91. Luckily, they arrived early enough that they were able to get to the correct pier in time. Whether that was due to error on their part by not telling them the pier number (or at least the correct number) or whether the driver messed up, I have no idea. And, to be fair, that has happened with regular taxi's also. Again, who knows where the fault lies in any situation like that .

Tom

I'm unsure if Seattle has it, but we've also used UberTaxi in SFO. It's a real taxicab that you choose when you launch the Uber app. You still see your driver and what kind of car they will be driving. I even had one call me and tell me that he had gotten caught in bad traffic and was taking a different route but would be there soon.

I had a lady from the States in my visitor centre this morning - she lived in Seattle for 12 years - she too, said taxis are not like we have here at home..

UBER I cannot do - I use a Blackberry and I switch it off as UK call charges when receiving incoming calls abroad are horrendous. (And I don't want to be tormented by business I am on "OFF" mode!). That aside I don't think I an get UBER on Blackberry? I tried it last night to see if it loaded in the UK but it doesn't.

I guess the hotel concierge will be our best bet..

The lady dined with us, she was raving about our food - and spent quite a while with us - think we could have exchanged chat all day long :D

• 3 weeks later...

Not long back home - just a very quick word to say

WOW Seattle - we loved you!

You for sure have a piece of our heart - so much to say about this wonderful city with friendly people and a couple of truly special moments along the way -

I will be writing a little piece when I get a minute

Thank you to all the info you all gave us

Sadly MacLeods was closed when we visited there - (cannae possibly be a true Scottish pub - no Scottish publican would open at 4pm each day :eek: ) ...

That aside - ocht - you are wonderful Seattle

For sure will return!!!

As we say "Haste ye' back" and we will!

Not long back home - just a very quick word to say

WOW Seattle - we loved you!

You for sure have a piece of our heart - so much to say about this wonderful city with friendly people and a couple of truly special moments along the way -

I will be writing a little piece when I get a minute

Thank you to all the info you all gave us

Sadly MacLeods was closed when we visited there - (cannae possibly be a true Scottish pub - no Scottish publican would open at 4pm each day :eek: ) ...

That aside - ocht - you are wonderful Seattle

For sure will return!!!

As we say "Haste ye' back" and we will!

Next time visit Vancouver, the largest Sino-Scottish city in the world. ;)

(I had an acquaintance in Vancouver who was named Campbell MacDonald. Go figure.)

Next time visit Vancouver, the largest Sino-Scottish city in the world. ;)

(I had an acquaintance in Vancouver who was named Campbell MacDonald. Go figure.)

It's just a shame cruise season never overlaps Gung Haggis Fat Choi...

• 2 weeks later...

For the person who is looking for a way to get from the Seattle airport to the Pier, that Seattle Yellow Limo company was a great way to go. Yonas from that company kept in touch with me as soon as we landed and picked us up in a Suburban large enough to hold our luggage and us four adults. He provided us with water in the car and took us directly to pier 91 for $60 each way. The day we were going back home, again he was in touch with me via text and arrived in a timely manner and got us back to the airport. You probably could have easily fit one or two more people in his car.

I think they are kind of a new company, they do an excellent and it was much less expensive then if we have taken the ships transfers.

For the person who is looking for a way to get from the Seattle airport to the Pier, that Seattle Yellow Limo company was a great way to go. Yonas from that company kept in touch with me as soon as we landed and picked us up in a Suburban large enough to hold our luggage and us four adults. He provided us with water in the car and took us directly to pier 91 for $60 each way. The day we were going back home, again he was in touch with me via text and arrived in a timely manner and got us back to the airport. You probably could have easily fit one or two more people in his car.

I think they are kind of a new company, they do an excellent and it was much less expensive then if we have taken the ships transfers.

Thank you for the recommendation. Living here in the Seattle area I have to say that it has been a real challenge to find a limo/town car/taxi to get from our home to the airport. Most of the time time they are late, get lost, drive horribly and have dirty cars. I hope this company lasts. We cruise about once a year and it always amazing to me how many of these companies aren't around after a year.

Looks like they may have already raised their prices. The website quotes $65 each way for a Town Car and $75 for a SUV.

This is to Pier 91

Hi all,Im going to carry on after Blondie,if Im not being too cheeky.We are flying into SEATAC on 1st sept at 1.30pm and were due to fly to Fairbanks the next day at 11am.Delta in their wisdom decided to cancel that flight and put us on the 11pm flight.Looking at this thread it may be a blessing in disguise.We are staying at the Marqueen in Queen Anne area.Any tips on this location would be helpful ie. restaurants, access to hoho route and attractions,also would it be possible to squeeze in the Boeing tour with public transport and paying at the door.I read on TA that buses downtown are free.Thanks in advance for any info,cheers,Brian.

Hi all,Im going to carry on after Blondie,if Im not being too cheeky.We are flying into SEATAC on 1st sept at 1.30pm and were due to fly to Fairbanks the next day at 11am.Delta in their wisdom decided to cancel that flight and put us on the 11pm flight.Looking at this thread it may be a blessing in disguise.We are staying at the Marqueen in Queen Anne area.Any tips on this location would be helpful ie. restaurants, access to hoho route and attractions,also would it be possible to squeeze in the Boeing tour with public transport and paying at the door.I read on TA that buses downtown are free.Thanks in advance for any info,cheers,Brian.

Carry on brian1. No problem.

Some answers:

The Marqeen is kind of a cool, boutique hotel. The area (lower Queen Anne) is kind of funky. Our favorite place to eat down there is Petit Toulouse which is a cajun (New Orleans) restaurant. The food is wonderful. There are lots of other places.

You are also a short walk from the Seattle Center, home of the Space Needle, Pacific Science Center, EMP (Experience Music Project) and the Seattle Monorail which is your quick and cheap ride to downtown. The monorail only has two stops, the Seattle Center and Westlake Center in the heart of downtown. From there you can easily walk to Pike Place Market.

Seattle really does not have a true HoHo bus. We have either the Emerald City Trolley or the Ride the Ducks. You can access both easily from the Seattle Center right near the base of the Space Needle about a 20 minute walk from your hotel.

To get to the Boeing Tour using public transport would take around 3 hours each way and involve three transfers each way. With your limited schedule, I would save that for another time.

Lastly, buses downtown used to be free but no longer. Got phased out a few years ago. Check out http://www.soundtransit.org for more about out bus system.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more. Check out my labor-of-love Seattle website by clicking here.

Edited by DrKoob

Cheers Jim,I think you covered everything there.If Blondie is still reading this thread,how much was your cab?Cheers,Brian.

I'm sorry Brian I have no idea - we used our cab driver a LOT - he would give us silly cheap prices at times - he was amazing - we often do this in major cities if we find a cab driver we like we ask for his mobile number and call him direct - this is what we did with our driver Dawoot in Seattle - he was awesome!

I think from the airport was on a meter - I honestly have no clue of pricing - just know it certainly didn't seem any worse (in fact prob cheaper) than cabs would be here at home.

I loved that he came for us when we left the ship - he hung around for ages for us - and must have missed out on other business...

Of course we tipped him generously all the way -

He was a star - it was the Orange cabs he drove.

I have a card somewhere if its of any use.