Calling all Seattle experts!

Blondie008

The only area near the hotel that I would tend to avoid when the streets are empty is the corner of 3rd and Pine. Literally walk a block any direction away from it and the nonsense factor drops off dramatically. I'm a 1.9m/120kg white guy who regularly walks from 5th and Pine to 1st and Columbia at night without a firearm, with a leather messenger bag and that's the one block I avoid. The area right around your hotel has some great dining and nightlife options as previously mentioned. I second the advice around being out of Belltown at closing time. The Tractor is a great venue and Ballard is a great neighborhood - I encourage you to head out there.

I would absolutely not expect to street-hail a cab in Seattle. Install the Uber app and you'll have access to cheap safe rides anywhere in the area for roughly half the price.

A panhandler is someone who asks for spare change, etc. Oftentimes homeless, the ones in Seattle are some of the most aggressive I've ever experienced. They're not typically dangerous, but they can be very persistent and sometimes seem to be dense in population.
Thoughts...

• "aggressive" depends on where one is from. Urban travelers will be used to them. Rural travelers may be in for a shock.
  • you will see more less fortunate on the West Coast as the climate is easy to be outside 24/7 year round.
  • Sadly housing prices are higher on the West Coast.... especially in recent months. http://www.realtor.com/news/trends/home-prices-up/
  • Doing a Google.... it appears Seattle does offer services to the less fortunate. http://www.homelessshelterdirectory.org/cgi-bin/id/city.cgi?city=Seattle&state=WA
  • Does giving money to the individual really help them? Or will the money go to alcohol and illegal medications... you will not have control after the transaction. It may even cement the problem like feeding wildlife. Giving to a charity may be a preferred option.

Thanks everyone for the tips and advice :)

I will come back and tell you how I got on!

I met a couple today in my visitor centre (I am in the Food/tourism industry) - who - had spent two nights in Seattle - was great chatting with them and they verified a lot of what you have suggested .

Many, many thanks!

Thoughts...

• "aggressive" depends on where one is from. Urban travelers will be used to them. Rural travelers may be in for a shock.
  • you will see more less fortunate on the West Coast as the climate is easy to be outside 24/7 year round.
  • Sadly housing prices are higher on the West Coast.... especially in recent months. http://www.realtor.com/news/trends/home-prices-up/
  • Doing a Google.... it appears Seattle does offer services to the less fortunate. http://www.homelessshelterdirectory.org/cgi-bin/id/city.cgi?city=Seattle&state=WA
  • Does giving money to the individual really help them? Or will the money go to alcohol and illegal medications... you will not have control after the transaction. It may even cement the problem like feeding wildlife. Giving to a charity may be a preferred option.

I have a good friend who lives in upstate New York. His oldest son went a little sideways from drugs and alcohol and ended up in San Diego California. While he was in San Diego he found out that if you’re homeless the place to go is Seattle Washington or Portland Oregon, they welcome the homeless with open arms, come on up we’ll take care of you is what the homeless have found out. So he comes up to Seattle and gets all the freebies he can then heads to Portland and does the same thing there, so now he goes back and forth getting whatever he can, he’s been doing it for years. So if you give these people any money it’s not going to do them any good all they are going to do is get high with it.

Housing here is very expensive. I don’t know how anyone can afford to own a home in Seattle. The kids across the street from me just bought their house. They paid $10K more for it than what it was listed for, they got into a bidding war with another buyer. They are from Seattle and now they have a 60 minute to a 90 minute commute each way to work.

I have to say it goes against every grain in my soul to not give to homeless.

When in Glasgow I carry loose change. I wont open my purse (wallet as you say) in the street - but I do carry loose change in my jacket pocket - for this sole purpose

Also, in Glasgow its "new" that people approach you - and with all due respect, it is Eastern European who are doing so. I was scammed by an illegal and cellphone stolen (long story) - but this was done whilst sitting on a terrace at a restaurant - he was caught incidentally - But it has made me more wary.

In Glasgow we have "The Big Issue" http://www.bigissue.com

I will buy a copy, or- just hand the seller a couple of £ - they are making an effort. There are many homeless - men especially, who find themselves on the street through no fault of their own - its very sad.

Of course there are junkies and drunks - but there are the innocent homeless - its heartbreaking... The Big Issue is awesome - and there are many characters which I am sure, anyone here who has visited - will know of.

BUT - our safety comes first - and I will heed your advice to keep walking.

Cabs by night - keep walking by day - and enjoy huh?

Thoughts...

I grew up in one of the largest cities in the United States. I've visited most of the others numerous times. My wife has traveled the world. I stand by what I said. The panhandlers in Seattle are some of the most aggressive I've ever encountered. She has concurred.

I grew up in one of the largest cities in the United States. I've visited most of the others numerous times. My wife has traveled the world. I stand by what I said. The panhandlers in Seattle are some of the most aggressive I've ever encountered. She has concurred.

Oh nightmare :eek:. I really hate my wee bubble of space being invaded - this would prompt me to get upset :(

Can see we are going to have to adopt our "Foreign broad Scots accent" which is totally impossible to understand unless one understands the local dialect - I still, after 20 years of marriage - fail to understand my husband on occasion - so with broad Glasgow and some rural scots thrown in - we will be alien to all ;). Telling someone in rough scots (putting it very politely here) to urm "get lost" - is scary -

Moving on is the best approach I think -

What a shame - this is not good for tourism!

Oh nightmare :eek:. I really hate my wee bubble of space being invaded - this would prompt me to get upset :(

Can see we are going to have to adopt our "Foreign broad Scots accent" which is totally impossible to understand unless one understands the local dialect - I still, after 20 years of marriage - fail to understand my husband on occasion - so with broad Glasgow and some rural scots thrown in - we will be alien to all ;). Telling someone in rough scots (putting it very politely here) to urm "get lost" - is scary -

Moving on is the best approach I think -

What a shame - this is not good for tourism!

It is nothing new in Glasgow to be approached by people looking for money ,then it was the locals, now its east Europeans, who have taken over selling Big Issue,so that they can claim they are self employed and milk the benefit system for housing and benefits.

It is nothing new in Glasgow to be approached by people looking for money ,then it was the locals, now its east Europeans, who have taken over selling Big Issue,so that they can claim they are self employed and milk the benefit system for housing and benefits.

Oh really? Ugh! I can honestly say I have NEVER been harassed in Scotland - Never. And I lives and worked in Glasgow for years. However after my episode with the eastern European and my mobile - what you say doesn't surprise me. My feelings are that we should be looking after our ain folk first and foremost!

I think we all feel the same about that one!

Glad I don't live or work amongst it - thankfully I still live in old Scotland!

Worst I have seen so far for being approached - Columbia - Panama - and Marrakech - (I love Marrakech btw) - It is so bad in the Medina we take an official guide with us to handle the nutters!

Nothing huge to add to the useful info already provided - but perhaps my perspective might be closer to your own in some ways, since I grew up in a teeny-tiny village in Doonhamer territory before becoming a city boy, and now split my time between Vancouver and Portland with frequent Seattle visits en route...

On the food front, the recco to stick to Dungeness crab is great advice - they are the meatiest of all the crab species, and the closest in 'style' to what you'll be used to at home. Also, they're usually fresh - you CANNOT get fresh King Crab when you'll be visiting unless you come up to Vancouver and buy a whole one from a huge tank in one of our larger Chinese restaurants. It's a great experience, but unless you're going to be in Vancouver anyway not good enough to warrant the commute from Seattle!

And yes, avoid smoked salmon - nobody over here even comes close to the strength of smoke in a product for Scottish locals. At best it's a 'tourist salmon' as we'd call it back home, and at worst it's almost indistinguishable from gravadlax there is such little smoke flavour in the fish. The salmon itself though does spank the pants off Atlantic - well, Sockeye and King at least. Silver's pretty comparable, and Chum and Pink are worse than good Atlantic IMO. Assuming you don't mind raw fish, a Sockeye tartare will absolutely blow your mind if you've only had Atlantic salmon before.

I can second the suggestion for Spur, and would also add Local360 to the list. Queen Anne has a lot of decent pubs & restos and isn't too far on foot (although the couple of excellent bars right up on the top of the hill, Paragon and Hilltop, you would be best advised to bus or cab to as that hill is STEEP - great views though!) Scattered along Roy and Mercer are tons of little restos and bars of various types including a couple of pretend Irish places, and it's busy with foot traffic in the evenings thanks to nearby theatres, arena, space needle, museums etc.

On the crime & homelessness side of things, you are indeed probably more likely to get punched or stabbed by a Weegie than harmed in any way by a Seattelite - but you're much more likely to get shot if things do go pear-shaped so in the unlikely event you go get held up, toss your wallet behind the dude asking for it and run like hell, dinnae stick the heid in!

In daytime, I concur with the 'do not give cash' ethos, but not with the 'do not engage' - for every scammer on the streets there are dozens of genuinely poor and in need of decent food, housing, help with addictions etc. We buy the 'Big Issue' equivalents (in Seattle it's called 'Real Change') and despite what some folks believe, there are criteria to meet before one can become a vendor and behavioural standards while vending.

If you aren't local and don't have time to research matters, long story short is that buying these newspapers and perhaps throwing a little extra on top of the cover price pretty much guarantees you're giving your money to someone who is trying to turn things around, so the odds are much better that your donation is not going to be feeding an addiction.

Nothing huge to add to the useful info already provided - but perhaps my perspective might be closer to your own in some ways, since I grew up in a teeny-tiny village in Doonhamer territory before becoming a city boy, and now split my time between Vancouver and Portland with frequent Seattle visits en route...

On the food front, the recco to stick to Dungeness crab is great advice - they are the meatiest of all the crab species, and the closest in 'style' to what you'll be used to at home. Also, they're usually fresh - you CANNOT get fresh King Crab when you'll be visiting unless you come up to Vancouver and buy a whole one from a huge tank in one of our larger Chinese restaurants. It's a great experience, but unless you're going to be in Vancouver anyway not good enough to warrant the commute from Seattle!

And yes, avoid smoked salmon - nobody over here even comes close to the strength of smoke in a product for Scottish locals. At best it's a 'tourist salmon' as we'd call it back home, and at worst it's almost indistinguishable from gravadlax there is such little smoke flavour in the fish. The salmon itself though does spank the pants off Atlantic - well, Sockeye and King at least. Silver's pretty comparable, and Chum and Pink are worse than good Atlantic IMO. Assuming you don't mind raw fish, a Sockeye tartare will absolutely blow your mind if you've only had Atlantic salmon before.

I can second the suggestion for Spur, and would also add Local360 to the list. Queen Anne has a lot of decent pubs & restos and isn't too far on foot (although the couple of excellent bars right up on the top of the hill, Paragon and Hilltop, you would be best advised to bus or cab to as that hill is STEEP - great views though!) Scattered along Roy and Mercer are tons of little restos and bars of various types including a couple of pretend Irish places, and it's busy with foot traffic in the evenings thanks to nearby theatres, arena, space needle, museums etc.

On the crime & homelessness side of things, you are indeed probably more likely to get punched or stabbed by a Weegie than harmed in any way by a Seattelite - but you're much more likely to get shot if things do go pear-shaped so in the unlikely event you go get held up, toss your wallet behind the dude asking for it and run like hell, dinnae stick the heid in!

In daytime, I concur with the 'do not give cash' ethos, but not with the 'do not engage' - for every scammer on the streets there are dozens of genuinely poor and in need of decent food, housing, help with addictions etc. We buy the 'Big Issue' equivalents (in Seattle it's called 'Real Change') and despite what some folks believe, there are criteria to meet before one can become a vendor and behavioural standards while vending.

If you aren't local and don't have time to research matters, long story short is that buying these newspapers and perhaps throwing a little extra on top of the cover price pretty much guarantees you're giving your money to someone who is trying to turn things around, so the odds are much better that your donation is not going to be feeding an addiction.

For those who don't know a Doonhamer is a native of Dumfries in Scotland, a weegie is a term of abuse by Edinburgh people about the people of Glasgow.I think nowadays your not likely to get a Glasgow Kiss ( a head butt) from a local. Ive stayed a few times in Seattle and have walked in from the Queen Anne district to downtown, and walked out as far as the baseball and soccer stadiums and not had any problems. Actually I felt safer there than on E Hasting in vancouver

Edited by threetowner16
spelling

I live in "Doonhamer" shire - but a good 60 miles from Dumfries itself. Which village were your raised in?

Salmon - we own Wild Salmon Fisheries and a world class smokehouse - we never ever eat salmon, other than our own - anywhere.

Proud to be a Weegie - I didn't realise this was a term of abuse from the Edinbuggers - (are they capable of humour?) :p-

I have some fantastic Weegie V Edinbugger jokes but of course not for the faint hearted ;) One is about a conversation on a cruise ship funnily enough - the wee Glesga wummin V the Edinbugger Snoot at dinner on the ship - too funny! If you like the humour there is a tremendous book by Ian Black and its called simply "Weegies V Edinbuggers" - and yes, it gives fair game to both sides!

Thanks for the info on "Real Change" - I will for sure watch out for vendors.

I live in "Doonhamer" shire - but a good 60 miles from Dumfries itself. Which village were your raised in?

Salmon - we own Wild Salmon Fisheries and a world class smokehouse - we never ever eat salmon, other than our own - anywhere.

Proud to be a Weegie - I didn't realise this was a term of abuse from the Edinbuggers - (are they capable of humour?) :p-

I have some fantastic Weegie V Edinbugger jokes but of course not for the faint hearted ;) One is about a conversation on a cruise ship funnily enough - the wee Glesga wummin V the Edinbugger Snoot at dinner on the ship - too funny! If you like the humour there is a tremendous book by Ian Black and its called simply "Weegies V Edinbuggers" - and yes, it gives fair game to both sides!

Thanks for the info on "Real Change" - I will for sure watch out for vendors.

I've got one of those books already - highly amusing. Although I've never even heard of Weegie being an Edinbugger term, it's used all over Scotland and (proudly) by every Glaswegian I've ever met (including my wife). We lived together five years in Weegieland and seven as Edinbuggers before moving to Canada, so appreciate both sides of that particular divide.

I don't want to name villages, as frankly given the size I might as well just put my full name, address and social security on the interwebs for all and sundry to see! I will say though that I was virtually force-fed salmon for my entire childhood (it was a subsistence fish to us as well as a source of income). 'Too much of a good thing' as it were - I avoided it like the plague as an adult, but fortunately discovered the pacific species over here are much preferable to my palate. By all means keep avoiding the east-coast Atlantic salmon, but you really should try some sockeye - it's a simply gorgeous taste & texture, though a pug-ugly beast as a whole fish!

I've got one of those books already - highly amusing. Although I've never even heard of Weegie being an Edinbugger term, it's used all over Scotland and (proudly) by every Glaswegian I've ever met (including my wife). We lived together five years in Weegieland and seven as Edinbuggers before moving to Canada, so appreciate both sides of that particular divide.

I don't want to name villages, as frankly given the size I might as well just put my full name, address and social security on the interwebs for all and sundry to see! I will say though that I was virtually force-fed salmon for my entire childhood (it was a subsistence fish to us as well as a source of income). 'Too much of a good thing' as it were - I avoided it like the plague as an adult, but fortunately discovered the pacific species over here are much preferable to my palate. By all means keep avoiding the east-coast Atlantic salmon, but you really should try some sockeye - it's a simply gorgeous taste & texture, though a pug-ugly beast as a whole fish!

Haaf Netters? You certainly cannot have been a world apart from us :)

I am actually intolerant to fresh salmon - I can eat our traditional cold smoked - but not our hot smoked - and not fresh - its one of "Murphys Laws" - I am sick as a dog if I eat fresh salmon - ON tap - free - 24/7 - I love it - and cannot eat it - boohoo :(

If you have the book the joke I am thinking of is the Dinner on the Cunard Ship, wife from Edinburgh - her husband works "Fawwr Coooonard" in her best Morningside accent - I wont add the Weegie response :o

Try to bite your tongue when your cruise lands in Ketchikan, the self-described "Salmon Capital of the World." Hyperbole knows no borders.

OOooh I cannot wait for Ketchikan! It looks so "Gold panning - wild west - saloon" type and I am mega excited to go there. We know its not going to be salmon season for sure - We are just so excited to be there - have watched loads of videos - and for sure we will do the whole tourist thing - Dollys house - Creek Street - oh yeah and photos of course of "salmon capital of the world"! - might need to put one up in our shop :D

Haaf Netters? You certainly cannot have been a world apart from us :)

I am actually intolerant to fresh salmon - I can eat our traditional cold smoked - but not our hot smoked - and not fresh - its one of "Murphys Laws" - I am sick as a dog if I eat fresh salmon - ON tap - free - 24/7 - I love it - and cannot eat it - boohoo :(

If you have the book the joke I am thinking of is the Dinner on the Cunard Ship, wife from Edinburgh - her husband works "Fawwr Coooonard" in her best Morningside accent - I wont add the Weegie response :o

Hmmm - I'd still consider risking a wee bit of sockeye; different genus - if local trout doesn't set you off that's more closely-related to atlantic salmon than any of the species over here.

I can neither confirm nor deny being a haaf netter...

Yes, we have the same joke book. My fave was the Weegie wifey heading back home that was stopped for speeding by the Edinbugger polis.

Hmmm - I'd still consider risking a wee bit of sockeye; different genus - if local trout doesn't set you off that's more closely-related to atlantic salmon than any of the species over here.

I can neither confirm nor deny being a haaf netter... ;)

Yes, we have the same joke book. My fave was the Weegie wifey heading back home that was stopped for speeding by the Edinbugger polis.

:D

Its ringing a bell but you have reminded me that I have loaned the paperback to a relation - I need to get it back .... Or buy another copy as I love the relation so much :)

Thanks for the craic! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I work at the Seattle Aquarium and highly recommend visiting it to see the local marine life (especially see the giant Pacific octopus and sea otters). From there you can have lunch at Ivar's and possibly take the Seattle to Bainbridge ferry. Great views of downtown Seattle and a pleasant village to visit on the Bainbridge side. A free art museum near the ferry dock as well. The ferry is only $4.05 round trip for seniors (double that if under 65). Only a 35 minute trip each way. Then you have your evening free to enjoy night life in Seattle. There's none on the Bainbridge side, they roll up the sidewalks at night. Come to think of it there's an Irish pub called the Owl and Thistle or something like that a block from the Seattle ferry dock.

I work at the Seattle Aquarium and highly recommend visiting it to see the local marine life (especially see the giant Pacific octopus and sea otters). From there you can have lunch at Ivar's and possibly take the Seattle to Bainbridge ferry. Great views of downtown Seattle and a pleasant village to visit on the Bainbridge side. A free art museum near the ferry dock as well. The ferry is only $4.05 round trip for seniors (double that if under 65). Only a 35 minute trip each way. Then you have your evening free to enjoy night life in Seattle. There's none on the Bainbridge side, they roll up the sidewalks at night. Come to think of it there's an Irish pub called the Owl and Thistle or something like that a block from the Seattle ferry dock.

We are going to the Aquarium for sure! Its one of the five on our city pass ticket which we have purchased - thanks for the info! :)

I agree our panhandlers can be aggressive. There is also an increase in homelessness, which has prompted even our rose-colored glasses wearing mayor to declare the situation a state of emergency.

The situation is throughout our city, but pioneer square, queen anne & ballard have significant homeless populations and encampments. Some unofficial, and others city sponsored. The crime is mainly property crime to fund drug addiction, but there have been a few incidents involving violence in the media recently from homeless who are mentally ill. Also, watch your step. From people who toilet outdoors to RVs dumping sewage in the streets, it might be a surprise to those who had a different expectation of Seattle.

Sorry - me again..

Meeting up with family first night - Hard Rock seems a good bet for this - is the Hard Rock within a safe and easy walking distance of The Warwick

I really need a Seattle street map I can print off!