colesium

adammovies

The Colosseum (or il Colosseo in Italian) is crowded all day, every day. The lines only seem to shorten toward the last hour of the day.

I would shoot for early in the morning or later in the day considering heat as well. This is an open arena so there's not much shade and in the summer that will be an issue as well.

The Palatine Hill entrance is about 5 minute walk from the Colosseum. Instead of following the crowds to the Colosseum turn your back to the crowds and walk down Via di San Gregorio and buy your ticket at the Palatine Hill entrance. You can then retrace your steps and skip the ticket lines at the Colosseum. The ticket is good for all 3 sites. This website has good information.

https://www.rometoolkit.com/whattodo/roman_forum.html

Agree with the suggestions on buying tickets at another location! The lines at the Coliseum are quite long. With a purchased pass or tickets, you can go right along them. (If you do buy tickets elsewhere, DO NOT make the mistake of waiting in the long lines anyway - a lot of people by habit just hop on the end of the long line. Find the entrance near the front of the line which is for ticket and pass holders.)

• 1 month later...

I am assuming that we should purchase the guided tour ticket? Would get more info than just walking around on our own? Also, is it better to do the colosseum/underground/third ring tour or just the basic colosseum? I see two choices on the ticket purchasing site. It's our first time in Rome and we are planning on one day at the colosseum. Thank you.

If you have a smart phone, or an MP3 player (which you can purchase for around $20), this is the way to get very high quality guided tours absolutely free.

https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/audio/audio-tours/italy

Go at your own pace, stop and restart whenever you desire and no bulky guide book to carry. There are many tours available in addition to the Colosseum.

We used the Rick Steves tours during our last visit and plan on using them again.

I am assuming that we should purchase the guided tour ticket? Would get more info than just walking around on our own? Also, is it better to do the colosseum/underground/third ring tour or just the basic colosseum? I see two choices on the ticket purchasing site. It's our first time in Rome and we are planning on one day at the colosseum. Thank you.

For starters, the underground portion can only be visited on a tour. Whether or not that's worthwhile is highly individual. I find the area to be pretty badly damaged (compared, for example, with the great amphitheatre in Pozzuoli, where the underground area is much better preserved and you can get a good idea of what went on there).

If you're not that interested in doing the underground part (or tickets aren't available), I suggest that a tour isn't really needed. Bring a few pages from your favorite guidebook or download Rick Steves' podcast as already recommended above.

I find the area to be pretty badly damaged (compared, for example, with the great amphitheatre in Pozzuoli, where the underground area is much better preserved and you can get a good idea of what went on there).

Or the amphitheatre at Santa Maria Capua Vetere, where you can wander freely throughout the underground level.

Or the amphitheatre at Santa Maria Capua Vetere, where you can wander freely throughout the underground level.

For those of us who are amphitheatre connoisseurs. :D

I'll be visiting the ones at Pompeii and Pozzuoli again shortly.