First Time Cruiser - Port Concerns

bnbadventures

Hello All,

I've been reading the forums for a few weeks now as we just booked a cruise for July to the Mediterranean on Celebrity. We've never been on a cruise - ever so this is kind of a stretch for us. I'm hoping you guys can give me a little more information concerning ports and excursions.

I did search the forum but didn't find an answer, however I'm sure this is a duplicate question so I appreciate your patience.

Rome is a key stop for us - I'm very much a history buff and we plan on taking a day long tour of Rome. I found Rome In Limo on this site, read review and looked at their site. Because there will be 6 of us, this seems like the way to go compared to booking through the cruise line. However we are concerned about getting back to the boat on time. Should this be a concern of ours? We would be in line early in the morning to get off the boat in Rome for a number of reasons but mostly to make sure we start the day early and leave as much time as possible to get back.

The second question is about getting off the boat. I've read that there is a line and the cruise line mentions on their excursion page that when you book through the cruise line, you are first off the boat in the morning. How long will it take for us to get off the boat in Rome? How does this process work in general?

I appreciate your help - let me know if I missed something when searching for an answer as well, used the search box and it came up with a ton of threads but nothing in the first few pages that seemed to apply.

Thanks!

B

I wouldn't worry about getting back to the ship on time. The vendors mentioned here, and Rome in Limo is an excellent company- stake their reputations on you not missing the ship. The chances are extremely small. We have used them 8 times, and they haven't been even close to being late for anything.

When a ship ties up at a dock, there will likely be a mad rush to get off. But it won't take that long. Yes, if you are looking at the gangway that first couple of minutes, there will be a line. But after 15 minutes or less, it will be moving just fine. Tendering is another story, but only a couple ports in the Med tender. Then the process can be more time consuming.

Rome in Limo (and the other vendors) won't leave the dock without you. Make your pickup time 30 minutes after scheduled docking. They will be there before that scheduled time. You will be fine.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Thanks for the reply - that makes sense on booking the tours and getting off the ship. The savings with Rome In Limo is huge compared to booking with the Celebrity. We will give it a try, it looks like they provide tours in a couple of ports that we are interested in.

B

Rome in Limo has a good reputation. We have been in the Med and Northern Europe on multiple lines. Last year Northern Europe on Celebrity. Often the ships tours meet in the theater and use a different exit or staircase. I don't ever remember (even in tender ports) DIY'ers being held up until ship excursions had left the boat.

Often the ships tours meet in the theater and use a different exit or staircase. I don't ever remember (even in tender ports) DIY'ers being held up until ship excursions had left the boat.

Same here - we are DIYers and have never been held-up disembarking in our ports of call. We are always among the first passengers off the ship.

Edited by dogs4fun

If you can get your group off the ship at once it will be much quicker. Pick a meeting point and all 6 get off at the same time.

We have used Rome in Limo several times and they are excellent.

All of this is going to vary by ship but in general getting off the ship in ports in Europe goes fairly well.

I wouldn't worry about it.

If you are doing a private tour then you can always pad the tour as to when you want to be on the ship and ask for a slightly earlier return then the one recommended by the vendor.

We do this quite frequently.

Keith