Norwegian Epic passenger mugged in Palermo

Traveller20074

http://crew-center.com/norwegian-epic-passenger-mugged-palermo

Y

Norwegian Epic Passenger mugged in Palermo

by kgnadmin / Apr 12, 2016 / 0 comments

Norwegian Epic Passanger was mugged yesterday in the port of Palermo, Italy. After the ship docked in Palermo the woman disembarked for sightseeing the city on her own. On the way back to the ship, near the cruise terminal two young men on a scooter approached the tourist and snatched the golden necklace. The incident happened in Via Emeric Amari a few steps from the entrance of the port.

The woman asked for help and reported the robbery to the police. Palermo police hopes to reveal the identity of the thefts by the CCTV cameras located in the port area.

Edited by Traveller20074

Tourists have to be diligent when protecting their valuables. This type of robbery has been going on for decades.;)

I can't imagine why you'd use a winky face emoticon here. The fact that this type of robbery has been going on doesn't make the experience less traumatic for the victim.

I can't imagine why you'd use a winky face emoticon here. The fact that this type of robbery has been going on doesn't make the experience less traumatic for the victim.

OldGoat is merely alluding to the fact that this isn't a particularly newsworthy event.

Edited by ColeThornton

It's unfortunate that this happened, but I agree with the sentiment that when travelling abroad, there's no need to wear fancy jewelry and expensive watches.

I'm not sure how old this lady is, but the article states that she went off sightseeing on her own. Doesn't seem very prudent for a solo woman to wander around a European city. She could have joined a tour or made arrangements with other solo travellers to sightsee in a group.

Incidents like this are entirely preventable.

I'm not sure how old this lady is, but the article states that she went off sightseeing on her own. Doesn't seem very prudent for a solo woman to wander around a European city.

I am sorry but what a ludicrous statement!!!

I have wandered round "European" Cities all my life. Yes some are safer than others but it is 2016 and I don't need or want a Chaperone.

http://crew-center.com/norwegian-epic-passenger-mugged-palermo

Y

Norwegian Epic Passenger mugged in Palermo

by kgnadmin / Apr 12, 2016 / 0 comments

Norwegian Epic Passanger was mugged yesterday in the port of Palermo, Italy. After the ship docked in Palermo the woman disembarked for sightseeing the city on her own. On the way back to the ship, near the cruise terminal two young men on a scooter approached the tourist and snatched the golden necklace. The incident happened in Via Emeric Amari a few steps from the entrance of the port.

The woman asked for help and reported the robbery to the police. Palermo police hopes to reveal the identity of the thefts by the CCTV cameras located in the port area.

For most of the world do not wear visible expensive jewelry when visiting, especially gold, or even something that is not expensive, but might look expensive. The grab and go is a common mode for theft. With visible jewelry you might as well be wearing a target on your back. On a recent cruise around South America, there were three people on our cruise that all got robbed in Buenos Aires before boarding. In all three events the common item was all three had visible jewelry. One man had a gold necklace ripped from his neck (cutting his neck before the chain broke), another man had a Rolex watch stolen, and a women had a necklace stolen.

I'm not sure how old this lady is, but the article states that she went off sightseeing on her own. Doesn't seem very prudent for a solo woman to wander around a European city.

I have wandered round "European" Cities all my life. Yes some are safer than others but it is 2016 and I don't need or want a Chaperone.

You are probably more street smart and aware of your surroundings than this lady was. I stand by my statement that it is not prudent for a woman to go off on her own and flash her expensive jewelry if she is not vigilant. She might as well have lit up an electric sign above her head inviting packs of young men to rob her.

You are probably more street smart and aware of your surroundings than this lady was. I stand by my statement that it is not prudent for a woman to go off on her own and flash her expensive jewelry if she is not vigilant. She might as well have lit up an electric sign above her head inviting packs of young men to rob her.

I agree NOBODY should wander around flashing expensive Jewellery.

BUT it has nothing to do with being a woman NOR it being a European City

I thought that was rule #1, don't wear flashy jewelry. Even if its good quality costume, it doesn't matter to thieves.

My all time favorite is when passengers disembark in towns taking the ships souvenir tote bags.all you see is ships bags everywhere. Talk about targets. Leave the bags for home..don't advertise you are a tourist.

My biggest issue is that I am an amateur photographer and I have a very expensive camera, its large, especially with the longer lens. So, sometimes I forgo the spectacular scenery to leave my camera on board. Safety first

Take some advice from someone who has been around the world and around awhile. While on vacation, leave your bling at home. You are not impressing anyone and just setting yourself up to be a victim.

I have travelled around Europe and South America for weeks at a time. Also across the USA. I also live near NYC (which is my stomping rounds since a kid). Leave the good stuff at home. Trust me. There are theivss everywhere in great places and red zone areas (like no taxis go there when it gets dark and there is a curfew for safety reasons)

What a shame. But it should be a lesson learned for everyone.

Take some advice from someone who has been around the world and around awhile. While on vacation, leave your bling at home. You are not impressing anyone and just setting yourself up to be a victim.

I'll agree with you here!

Harriet

I also frequently wander around European cities alone. I'm not a baby and I can take care of myself.

I'm sorry this happened to this lady, but when you travel in places that are unfamiliar to you, you do need to educate yourself a bit about the locale, customs etc.

Sooo... when I'm at port in Italy and France in 2 months on the Epic, should I not wear my wedding rings and right hand diamond ring? (Serious question)

I leave my wedding ring and diamond at home. I purchased an understated plain band to wear when we travel. It was inexpensive so if it gets stolen it is no big deal. I would be devastated if something happened to my real weddding ring. Rule of thumb for me is if I can't stand the thought of losing it, I don't bring it. :)

Edited by annietownsend

Great advise all over the world

But you also probably use an across the chest travel safe sort of bag

I can't tell you the number of women I see using a huge shoulder bag while touring

Heck my black across the chest multi secured pocket perfect sized travel bag even has a waist belt that I can use or just tuck away in addition to the mesh across the chest strap

Otoh I only bring my port cash and port use only credit card off the ship with me. PP actually stays in vault and I don't worry about missing the ship

Although depending on my plans I have taken it with me ...as in when we do the private tour stuff down the amalfi coast with a very reliable driver....but nonetheless....those are the times...pp comes with us

Bling always stays home when in Europe and in the Carib....stunt doubles come out for evening

Geez stunt doubles come out for a day trip to NYC...but come to think of it I don't wear jewelry to NYC

Edited by luvtheships

Sooo... when I'm at port in Italy and France in 2 months on the Epic, should I not wear my wedding rings and right hand diamond ring? (Serious question)

You should put all your good jewelry in your bank vault safe and do not where your wedding rings

If you must wear something so that others know you are married..lol....get a stunt double from qvc

My $50 fake sapphire and cubic z fake platinum band is incredible....but even that won't come off the ship with me as I only would wear that in the evenings. Because it looks real.

My dh has a diamond heirloom right hand family engagement ring I gave him....that definitely stays home.

My Rolex no longer travels with me either.

Edited by luvtheships

I have never forgotten the advice my high school teacher gave me, back in the 70's....

She was Greek and when she went over there to visit she wore NO rings, and this was a lady who loved her bling. She said theives would grab your hand and cut off your finger to get your ring...