Train Seward to Anchorage

GeezerCouple

Does the evening train (Dome car) have reserved seating?

Which side of the train is best for viewing?

Many thanks!

Yes there is assigned seating. You don't request it, it is randomly assigned. Not sure what "dome car" you are referring to, but if Adventure Class- this is 20 minutes seating that turns over, if anyone is waiting.

This route has highlights on both sides, so just stay where you are assigned for the scenic portions, and move to the vestibules etc for the other side.

From Seward the glaciers are on the right side, after Portage, for the Arm- views are on the left.

Does the evening train (Dome car) have reserved seating?

Which side of the train is best for viewing?

Many thanks!

Be sure to upgrade to Gold Star service. You are in a beautiful glass enclosed car, with access to the exterior porch. All seats are assigned, but there are no bad ones. I prefer to be on the right side as you head north, but that is nto saying that the left is bad. I find that I spend most of the time outside on teh platform taking pictures anyway.

Be sure to upgrade to Gold Star service. You are in a beautiful glass enclosed car, with access to the exterior porch. All seats are assigned, but there are no bad ones. I prefer to be on the right side as you head north, but that is nto saying that the left is bad. I find that I spend most of the time outside on teh platform taking pictures anyway.

Okay... one vote for left, one for right, and one "both are great" :)

For zqvol: Were you able to request a seat assignment in advance, or was it just issued when you boarded so you "knew which seat was yours"?

I read someone mentioning sitting in the back of the car.

Might that be so there'd be the glassed overhead in front rather than what might be a partial wall at the very front end of the car?

After the cruise from Vancouver (including a Hovercraft to Taku Glacier), and then the longer Kenai Fjords tour with Major Marine, I'm sure we'll have tons of beautiful sights.

But we try to figure the best way to enjoy each part of a trip.

We are so excited about this, and our plans changed to include this unexpectedly. Usually, I start this planning months (and months) in advance.

Thank you.

Okay... one vote for left, one for right, and one "both are great" :)

For zqvol: Were you able to request a seat assignment in advance, or was it just issued when you boarded so you "knew which seat was yours"?

I read someone mentioning sitting in the back of the car.

Might that be so there'd be the glassed overhead in front rather than what might be a partial wall at the very front end of the car?

After the cruise from Vancouver (including a Hovercraft to Taku Glacier), and then the longer Kenai Fjords tour with Major Marine, I'm sure we'll have tons of beautiful sights.

But we try to figure the best way to enjoy each part of a trip.

We are so excited about this, and our plans changed to include this unexpectedly. Usually, I start this planning months (and months) in advance.

Thank you.

Fact- both sides offer excellent views. I detailed above the areas and sides. The above left recommendation, eliminates all the glacier viewing preference.

You do NOT request any seats, they are randomly assigned.

I never go with Goldstar and enjoy the cheap Adventure Class just fine, having my own routine. :) Rave reviews about the Goldstar. "Best", is a wide range, with no single track in Alaska.

Fact- both sides offer excellent views. I detailed above the areas and sides. The above left recommendation, eliminates all the glacier viewing preference.

You do NOT request any seats, they are randomly assigned.

I never go with Goldstar and enjoy the cheap Adventure Class just fine, having my own routine. :) Rave reviews about the Goldstar. "Best", is a wide range, with no single track in Alaska.

Thanks very much, Budget Queen!

You are a treasure trove of information about Alaska :)

However, FYI in case there are future questions, for the Goldstar "Dome" car service, there are assigned seats, and they can accept specific requests.

We have no experience with the regular train service to compare with this.

Wish we were going back and forth, so we could see direcly out each side.

Is there really good "glacier" viewing from the train?

If so, we may need to change our request.

We can see "water views" elsewhere, but glaciers... not so much!

Thank you again!

We took the train from Anchorage to Seward. My family of 5 at the time was split so we had seats on both sides. My DH (now ex) spent most of his time on the platform taking pictures.

We did the Gold Star service mainly because my mom was with us and I didn't want to hear her complain about not getting a seat (or worse having to wait and then only getting to sit for 20 minutes) in the dome area. I never called them to request specific seats and we ended up with seats near the front. I thought they were great seats. As I said, we were able to see everything out of both sides of the car and so was everyone else.

Enjoy that ride - it's spectacular!

We look back on our Goldstar trip from Anchorage to Seward as one of the highlights of our Alaska pre-cruise adventure in 2012. We received the very front seats when we checked in at the train station, but we were so entranced with the photo opportunities in the attached semi-open car, that we spent the majority of our time out there. We also really enjoyed the dining car for the included breakfast.

We're planning another land trip next summer, and traveling Goldstar will definitely be part of our trip.

05%20-%20Inside%20Gold%20Star%20Car-S.jpg

Looking forward from the outside observation car:

08%20-%20View%20from%20Outside%20Observation%20Car-S.jpg

View from our seats:

12-S.jpg

We look back on our Goldstar trip from Anchorage to Seward as one of the highlights of our Alaska pre-cruise adventure in 2012. We received the very front seats when we checked in at the train station, but we were so entranced with the photo opportunities in the attached semi-open car, that we spent the majority of our time out there. We also really enjoyed the dining car for the included breakfast.

We're planning another land trip next summer, and traveling Goldstar will definitely be part of our trip.

05%20-%20Inside%20Gold%20Star%20Car-S.jpg

Looking forward from the outside observation car:

08%20-%20View%20from%20Outside%20Observation%20Car-S.jpg

View from our seats:

12-S.jpg

Oh my!

What great photos.

That Goldstar Dome is even better than I thought!

Can't wait to show these photos to DH :)

I guess it really doesn't matter all that much about which side, as one can see just about everything from any seat.

Amazing.

When you write "semi-open car", what does that mean?

Standing with partial glass sides, no roof?

Thank you VERY much for posting these.

Oh my!

What great photos.

That Goldstar Dome is even better than I thought!

Can't wait to show these photos to DH :)

I guess it really doesn't matter all that much about which side, as one can see just about everything from any seat.

Amazing.

When you write "semi-open car", what does that mean?

Standing with partial glass sides, no roof?

Thank you VERY much for posting these.

I'm glad I could help! It's definitely true that "a picture is worth a thousand words."

Here's a picture of the "open" car. It is standing only:

09%20-%20Outside%20Observation%20Car-S.jpg

If you'd like to see more photos from the train and Seward, use this link. I'm going to look at my photos and add a few more of them to my SmugMug online site.

I'm glad I could help! It's definitely true that "a picture is worth a thousand words."

Here's a picture of the "open" car. It is standing only:

09%20-%20Outside%20Observation%20Car-S.jpg

If you'd like to see more photos from the train and Seward, use this link. I'm going to look at my photos and add a few more of them to my SmugMug online site.

Many thanks.

We've enjoyed your photos - a lot!