Baltic weather in Sept

Going on cruise in Sept and wondering what to expect as far as weather. Also what items do you recommend taking with us. Thanks

September is the month during which I usually travel to St. Petersburg and the Baltics. The weather is quite unpredictable - from warm & sunny to cold, windy and raining. I take rain gear, warm coat, windbreaker & a sweater in addition to lighter clothing. Layers are your best best.

I agree with dogs4fun, September just like the rest of the summer can be amazing but also "horrible" although the days are much shorter then in June.

The biggest advantage with September is that it is usually much calmer the Jun-Aug due less tourists and etc.

Edited by Desdichado62

If you look at the thread about the Baltic in May, you will see a lot of info on weather in the Baltic.

Yes, to follow-up on what CruiserBruce said above, here is my summary. You can go to

http://www.wunderground.com

and check for the very specific weather history on many of the key towns in the world for their past temperatures in that specific area for a date in the past. Just look lower left in the page for weather history area, put in your exact dates and the year prior. You will then see what last year was like, along with recent highs and lows for that date there.

On crowds, our cruise was late July and early August. Our crowds were not too bad in the ports, museums, etc. Part of it is somewhat "luck/chance" as to how many ships and their number of passengers on each specific day you are there in that port.

Here are a few weather averages/details for these three key cities in the Baltics by looking at the 7th, 15th, 23rd days of each month from http://www.wunderground.com:

Copenhagen: High/low averages,

May, early: 61 high/47 low °F

May, mid: 63/48 °F

May, late: 65/50 °F

June, early: 67/53 °F

June, mid: 68/54 °F

June, late: 69/54 °F

July, early: 69/55 °F

July, mid: 69/54 °F

July, late: 69/54 °F

August, early: 67/53 °F

August, mid: 66/52 °F

August, late: 64/51 °F

Sept., early: 60/49 °F

Sept., mid: 58/47 °F

Sept., late: 56/45 °F

St. Petersburg:

May, early: 60 high/41 low °F

May, mid: 62/44 °F

May, late: 65/46 °F

June, early: 68/49 °F

June, mid: 70/51 °F

June, late: 72/53 °F

July, early: 72/53 °F

July, mid: 71/52 °F

July, late: 70/51 °F

August, early: 66/48 °F

August, mid: 64/46 °F

August, late: 61/45 °F

Sept., early: 55/41 °F

Sept., mid: 52/38 °F

Sept., late: 48/36 °F

Stockholm:

May, early: 60 high/44 low °F

May, mid: 62/46 °F

May, late: 63/49 °F

June, early: 66/52 °F

June, mid: 68/54 °F

June, late: 70/55 °F

July, early: 71/56 °F

July, mid: 70/55 °F

July, late: 69/54 °F

August, early: 67/52 °F

August, mid: 65/50 °F

August, late: 63/48 °F

Sept., early: 58/44 °F

Sept., mid: 54/42 °F

Sept., late: 51/40 °F

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 140,139 views for this posting.

We went in September & the worst weather was in St. Petersburg. Layer like everyone has stated. My gore-tex rain jacket saved me from the wind & hard rain. Personally I find a polar full-zippered fleece & my rain jacket a great combination. Also carried a small backpack to place items not needed when touring the city. I hate umbrellas so a hood & a ball cap worked just fine for me.

Happy Travels, John

Interesting! we're currently booked on a mid-September Baltic and was concerned about weather because we may need to push it back 2 weeks to depart 9/28 - while unpredictable, it seems the average is only 2 degrees less ... (I did see there's about 1/2 hour less daylight [emoji41])