MSC vs Princess

Scotto97

We have done both, and have another MSC cruise next month. You have to accept that they are a different cultural experience. They do not offer Anytime dining unless you are in a more expensive cabin class. They have wonderful buffets for breakfast and lunch, but more limited for supper as they expect you to want to eat in the MDR.

They matched our Elite on Celebrity with their highest level (Black).

Many of their cabins are larger than Princess, but you have to realize that a quad balcony cabin has a double foldout couch for the 3/4 guests, no upper bunks. Inside and OV quads have uppers. EM

If you like Princess service and attitude don't go with MSC. It is a different experience. Beautiful ships, staff some good, but most offhand. Buffet lunches crazy, ran out of food one day, tables if you could get one were not cleared. Front desk on last day chaos as everyone had to go down there to clear their accounts. One little bit of sun and everyone was out there in skimpy costumes, most with larger bodies basking in the sun. I know they have cold winters but I was still wearing my coat. Don't even try to use the pools, full (chockers) with bambinos and mummas.

I did enjoy my cruises, what's not to enjoy, but totally different culture. Loud, and over the top. You want to get somewhere just keep pushing. However bingo on main deck in four languages was interesting.

Try MSC but be prepared for a different experience and be willing to accept different service.

We have been on 2 MSC trips in the last 3 years. Service is not good. Buffet is "Europian" style; cook the food hours ahead and put it in the steam table. They use a large portion of the pool deck to sell things. They did offer an 18 vouchers for drinks under $8 ($95 total).

Has anyone been on both and could do a comparison?

They are offering to match your current loyalty status and I'm curious on how the 2 lines differ.

Price is much better on MSC, balcony and suites cabins are way better on MSC and so is the entertainment. Food is subjective!!!

2 different experiences - we were on MSC Divina December, 2015. I think much has changed since some of these reviewers sailed prior to 2015. MSC is much more European (and we loved that!) than the standard Carnival/Princess/HAL cruises (all owned by Carnival Corp.) The entertainment was totally fantastic, New York standard. The food was very good, although we thought the food on Princess was better (totally subjective).

We enjoyed tea time on Princess, and it was much more casual than MSC.

We loved meeting lots of different nationalities on MSC. The price we paid for our MSC cruise was the best price / value for money than all our cruises.

Remember you're asking for opinions - and everyone has one! Read lots of reviews in the MSC Forum as well as the Princess Forum to get a well rounded opinion.

We would sail Princess and MSC again (Divina was the most BEAUTIFUL ship), and enjoy it because both were such different experiences. But you have to go with an open mind, and be prepared to enjoy it. Otherwise, what's the point of spending the money and time if you've decided before you've even left that you're not going to like it?

I'd be very suspicious of such an offer... loyalty perks or status exist for a reason...

Why? A great way to get frequent cruisers on your line. Airlines do it all the time, and the airline perks are more substantial

We've been with both, and we have forthcoming cruises booked with both as well.

Princess and MSC are completely different.

MSC is a far more European experience - don't expect ice water on the dining table - but there are certain things that we prefer with MSC. I wouldn't recommend Opera, Armonia and the other 2 smaller ships - these were built for a different cruise line that MSC bought out - but the bigger (and almost brand new) ships are beautiful.

. The dining room is open at lunchtime every day, not just sea days.

. A proper baked alaska parade on Gala night

. The ships are gleaming - crew are polishing everywhere, not just disinfecting

. Beautiful pool areas

. Very good value drinks package

. Musicians in most bars, and nibbles / snacks in most bars

. No "pushy" selling of shops and services

. Excellent itenaries around Europe

. Theatre production show every evening

Because MSC are family owned, they are not ruled by shareholders and there is less temptation for the corporate accountants to cut costs (and cut standards).

If you are looking for a different cruise experience, then try MSC. But don't expect things to be the same as other lines. A lot of people love MSC - but a lot of people also dislike them. The question to ask is whether you are open to new experiences and things being done differently.

If you were to visit Europe, would you plan to stay in hotels run by the major US chains? Would you try the local hotels that might do things differently?

People who want "Holiday Inn" or "Hilton" consistency (and lack of character) should avoid MSC.

People who want to sail around Europe on a ship that is a slice of USA should avoid MSC. But to cruise Europe and experience a bit of Europe while afloat, then MSC could be perfect for you.

Be aware in main dining room if you are offered water, you are buying the bottle. Also the gala nights had a Tiramusu parade with Amore as the parade song. It got everyone standing and singing. You are going to Europe for the experience, MSC is different but so is Europe. Preziosa is the most beautiful ship I have ever sailed on.