Anyone done Princess Alaska cruise + Empire builder train

cisco 09

Hi guys. As above has anyone done the package of Princess Alaska cruise with stays in Chicago and Seattle and the Empire Builder train journey. I know you can do it with NCL but would much prefer Princess. Beginning to think I had a senior moment as I can't see it anywhere now !! Thanks for any info.

Hi guys. As above has anyone done the package of Princess Alaska cruise with stays in Chicago and Seattle and the Empire Builder train journey. I know you can do it with NCL but would much prefer Princess. Beginning to think I had a senior moment as I can't see it anywhere now !! Thanks for any info.

Never seen the option advertised . You might have to call Princess direct.

The Empire Builder would be fairly easy to book separately from the cruise. Go to Amtrak's website to see. We have done the Empire Builder by itself, without the cruise and have done a cruise at the same time.

I was told, the last time we were on that train, if you want a sleeper car, you need to make reservations at least 1 year in advance. If you do Alaska to or from Vancouver, there is an Amtrak train that goes between Vancouver and Seattle that would connect. I don't know about the connection times though.

I would consider the stay in Seattle an essential component of this - the Empire Builder is no longer notoriously late, it's merely frequently late. I would want at least a 23-hour buffer in our fair city, and I would be very hesitant about connecting to either of the Vancouver-bound trains the same day.

We haven't done the Empire Builder, but have gone by train from NYC to LAX (and back!!). Four very long days and longer nights.:p

I would absolutely never do a train ride that is that long without a sleeper cabin. The bigger that you can afford, the better.

We had a the smallest sleeper (2 seats facing each other that turn into bunk beds at night). This configuration is barely acceptable. I don't know how anyone can spend multiple days/nights in a regular car in the very uncomfortable seats.

One leg of our journey didn't offer a sleeper (NY to CHI). It was horrible. Couldn't sleep. Plus the general use bathrooms (2 in each car) turn into smelly pigsties in no time at all. The attendants either can't keep up or don't want to.

The bathrooms in the sleeper cars are a whole different world. Four or 5 toilet rooms plus a couple of showers. And the trains we were on the attendant kept them spotless and fragrant.;)

And the sleeper cars include meals!!

I would consider the stay in Seattle an essential component of this - the Empire Builder is no longer notoriously late, it's merely frequently late. I would want at least a 23-hour buffer in our fair city, and I would be very hesitant about connecting to either of the Vancouver-bound trains the same day.
Very good advice. My wife and I call it "Amtrak Time". You'll get there when you get there. I agree that the on time performance on the Empire Builder isn't as bad as it was a few years ago. All the oil boom activity in North Dakota was really affecting the Empire Builder schedule. It's improved now that things have slowed down there. But still, never rely on a long distance Amtrak train schedule.

I was told, the last time we were on that train, if you want a sleeper car, you need to make reservations at least 1 year in advance. If you do Alaska to or from Vancouver, there is an Amtrak train that goes between Vancouver and Seattle that would connect. I don't know about the connection times though.

Like the airlines, Amtrak only accepts reservations 11 months out. There are two trains a day from Vancouver to Seattle departing at 6:30 a.m. and 5:35 p.m.

The first time DW and I did Alaska we took VIA Rail (Canada) from Vancouver back to Toronto. The last time we took the train from Vancouver down to Seattle; the next day she flew home and I took Amtrak's Coast Starlight down to Sacramento then the California Zephyr (the Colorado Rockies were incredible!) back to Chicago.

Here is a link to a lengthy review of the last trip, with lots of pics.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2089424

We did the Empire Builder train combined with Seattle, Chicago and inside passage cruise with Princess 18 months ago. I looked everything up and decided when and where we wanted to go and for how long and then I went into my travel agent and said this is what I want please put it together for me. I am perfectly capable of arranging it all myself but in England, don't know about anywhere else, if you book individual parts of trip yourself and something goes wrong, plane, ship, train delay you have to sort the problem out yourself.

Putting it through a travel agent we were protected against any unforeseen circumstances. Travel agent did book our train ticket about 10 months before departure as we wanted a bathroom (!!!) and dates had to fit in with plane and cruise etc. The room is very small with a tiny washbasin and the shower and toilet tiny. With a 6'3" husband it was quite amusing to see him trying to have a shave at the tiny washbasin with the train rocking

Having said all that I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the whole trip, we did 4 nights Seattle first, cruise next, Empire Builder next and then Chicago for 4 nights and home. I loved the train and would do it all again but not sure that my husband would be that keen on another 3 1/2 days on a train. The train left Seattle 30 mins late and got to Chicago 2 1/2 hours late but very enjoyable and all meals included

We also booked it as a package through a travel agent , the hotels were great especially the Max in Seattle the train was fun pretty boring and the cruise was a big disappointment as were meant to do Tracey Arm but due to ice never got there we did it early September and it did not include Glacier bay, did not research it enough

A Google search show several rail/cruise packages being offered by tour operators and a quick look seemed to show them involving HAL and VIA Rail. Spend some time searching and you might find what you are looking for. Doubt if I should post any of my quick search results since they involve TA's.

Thanks guys for all your info and apologies for not coming back earlier. Unfortunately we've had some illness in the family and holiday planning has been put on the back burner but we still hope to make the trip sometime soon.

Janice