My First River Cruise.....OMG....

Lois R

Lois, thank you so much for your wonderful review. My husband and I are going on our first river cruise on the AmaSonata from Budapest to Amsterdam in August, 2016. We have done many ocean cruises and have always wanted to go on a river cruise. I'm not looking forward to the long hours of flying from Seattle, but it sounds like it will be a small price to pay for a great vacation! Can you tell me if the electrical outlet in the bathroom will allow us to use a hairdryer with a converter or adaptor? I realize there will be a hairdryer provided in the main cabin, but I tend to wake up much earlier than my husband and on large ocean ships I've never been able to dry my hair without disturbing my husband. On the large ships we've sailed on the electrical outlet in the bathroom was only for use with a shaver.

Lois, thank you so much for your wonderful review. My husband and I are going on our first river cruise on the AmaSonata from Budapest to Amsterdam in August, 2016. We have done many ocean cruises and have always wanted to go on a river cruise. I'm not looking forward to the long hours of flying from Seattle, but it sounds like it will be a small price to pay for a great vacation! Can you tell me if the electrical outlet in the bathroom will allow us to use a hairdryer with a converter or adaptor? I realize there will be a hairdryer provided in the main cabin, but I tend to wake up much earlier than my husband and on large ocean ships I've never been able to dry my hair without disturbing my husband. On the large ships we've sailed on the electrical outlet in the bathroom was only for use with a shaver.

Hi:)...I wish I could tell you 100% but I honestly don't remember.

I don't use a hairdryer so it wasn't something that caught my attention.

I know the outlet in the main cabin is European so if you are bringing

your own appliances you would need to bring an adaptor/converter for

them. I am guessing if you are bringing your own hair dryer you would

need it for the bathroom.

Not sure if I answered your question....maybe someone else who sails

with AMA more often can chime in too.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise:)

AMA provides powerful blow dryers and I have always blown my hair dry in the bathroom.

Thanks...I knew you would know:D:);)

When I responded to a post that you made to the Royal Caribbean forum about a month ago [loyalty reciprocity between Celebrity and Royal], I'd noted from your signature that you had recently completed a river cruise, found the experience to be "awesome", remarked that I've been considering river cruising too but hadn't committed, and noted from your reply that you've already planned another...

At that time little did I realize that I'd get a call from good cruise friends [we've sailed both Celebrity and Azamara quite a bit together] less than two weeks ago in which they indicated that they'd decided to book their first river cruise next year and suggested that I join them... With absolute trust in their judgment [they are avid, highly experienced, well studied travelers; we like the same things], I made my reservation to do so two days later...

I just had my first opportunity to troll around the River Cruise forum and was delighted to find your wonderful, enthusiastic review... Many thanks!!!

After reading your review and noting the details, the coincidences--great minds do think alike--surprise me... Please let me assure you that I'm not "channeling" you!

• Like you, my friends chose AmaWaterways and, specifically, we'll be aboard AmaStella too! It's a Romantic Danube cruise--Prague [Vilshofen] to Budapest--that departs next 31 May!
  • After an additional night in Budapest, my friends are going on to Amsterdam for four nights before boarding HAL for an ocean cruise to Norway/The North Cape... They encouraged me to join them for that too but, having just done Iceland/Norway aboard Eclipse last summer and having then spent four days in Amsterdam before boarding Silhouette for a British Isles/British Open cruise, I politely declined to do so...
  • So what am I going to do as an encore? A second river cruise! It's an Enchanting Rhine cruise--Zurich [basel] to Amsterdam aboard AmaSonata--that departs next 10 June... I've long wanted to return to Switzerland for a few days; I was last there on an extended business trip nearly thirty years ago and loved it...

Sound familiar???

As you did, I'm going to handle my land-time privately... My friends and I will spend four nights in Prague prior to the first cruise and I'll likely join them in Budapest for an additional night before they head to Amsterdam and I head to Zurich and/or Lucerne for two nights...

I've become really psyched about this adventure but, after reading your review, I'm more assured than ever that I've [we've] made great choices and that it's going to be a truly memorable/fun trip... I particularly appreciate your thoughts about doing a river cruise as a solo... Until this opportunity arose, I had been a bit concerned about the social dynamic but ultimately decided that "Columbus took a chance" and that I should too; thanks for affirming that...

Perhaps our paths will cross in Europe next year!

Best regards,

--Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for the post and always nice to see you:)....I didn't

expand too much over on the Royal Forum so glad you popped over here.

(That forum really isn't the right one to describe this cruise, I am sure

you agree;)).

We are going to miss each other next year....we are doing the same

itinerary:eek:....you are sailing in June? I am sailing in May but we

are departing from opposite cities. I am doing the Amsterdam to Basel

cruise and you are doing the Basel to Amsterdam.

I am sure you are going to have a wonderful time:) and as for being

treated well as a solo? AMA seems to treat everyone equally......very

welcoming:)

Hi Mike...

I haven't gone on my cruise yet, but it's right around the corner. We will be in Prague for a week on our own before our cruise. I've been blogging about my planning and things we plan to do .. if you are interested. I will share as enjoy our time there as well. My blog address is in my signature below. We are going on Avalon but you might find some useful info on Prague.

Reb

When I responded to a post that you made to the Royal Caribbean forum about a month ago [loyalty reciprocity between Celebrity and Royal], I'd noted from your signature that you had recently completed a river cruise, found the experience to be "awesome", remarked that I've been considering river cruising too but hadn't committed, and noted from your reply that you've already planned another...

At that time little did I realize that I'd get a call from good cruise friends [we've sailed both Celebrity and Azamara quite a bit together] less than two weeks ago in which they indicated that they'd decided to book their first river cruise next year and suggested that I join them... With absolute trust in their judgment [they are avid, highly experienced, well studied travelers; we like the same things], I made my reservation to do so two days later...

I just had my first opportunity to troll around the River Cruise forum and was delighted to find your wonderful, enthusiastic review... Many thanks!!!

After reading your review and noting the details, the coincidences--great minds do think alike--surprise me... Please let me assure you that I'm not "channeling" you!

• Like you, my friends chose AmaWaterways and, specifically, we'll be aboard AmaStella too! It's a Romantic Danube cruise--Prague [Vilshofen] to Budapest--that departs next 31 May!
  • After an additional night in Budapest, my friends are going on to Amsterdam for four nights before boarding HAL for an ocean cruise to Norway/The North Cape... They encouraged me to join them for that too but, having just done Iceland/Norway aboard Eclipse last summer and having then spent four days in Amsterdam before boarding Silhouette for a British Isles/British Open cruise, I politely declined to do so...
  • So what am I going to do as an encore? A second river cruise! It's an Enchanting Rhine cruise--Zurich [basel] to Amsterdam aboard AmaSonata--that departs next 10 June... I've long wanted to return to Switzerland for a few days; I was last there on an extended business trip nearly thirty years ago and loved it...

Sound familiar???

As you did, I'm going to handle my land-time privately... My friends and I will spend four nights in Prague prior to the first cruise and I'll likely join them in Budapest for an additional night before they head to Amsterdam and I head to Zurich and/or Lucerne for two nights...

I've become really psyched about this adventure but, after reading your review, I'm more assured than ever that I've [we've] made great choices and that it's going to be a truly memorable/fun trip... I particularly appreciate your thoughts about doing a river cruise as a solo... Until this opportunity arose, I had been a bit concerned about the social dynamic but ultimately decided that "Columbus took a chance" and that I should too; thanks for affirming that...

Perhaps our paths will cross in Europe next year!

Best regards,

--Mike

We are going to miss each other next year....we are doing the same itinerary:eek:....you are sailing in June? I am sailing in May but we are departing from opposite cities. I am doing the Amsterdam to Basel cruise and you are doing the Basel to Amsterdam.

We just might have been cruising together!

My original preference was to do The Rhine--from Amsterdam to Basel--first [13 May; AmaKristina] and to spend a week in Switzerland/Austria before meeting Joyce and Wayne in Prague on 27 May... The dates worked better in terms of commitments I have in New Jersey during the latter half of June, I'd have loved the additional time in Europe, and best I could tell [flights for exact dates were not then available], return airfares from Budapest to The US appear to be far better than they are from Amsterdam [love the city but hated returning from Schipol (no problems entering from Southampton) last summer; check-in/immigration and customs/security took three + hours with priority!]...

But the 13 May cruise is sold out [my Travel Agent learned that the AmaWaterways website is not dynamic; there appeared to be availability] in the stateroom category I wanted... You know the one! ;)

Thus, Plan "B"...

Thanks again!

I haven't gone on my cruise yet, but it's right around the corner. We will be in Prague for a week on our own before our cruise. I've been blogging about my planning and things we plan to do .. if you are interested. I will share as enjoy our time there as well. My blog address is in my signature below. We are going on Avalon but you might find some useful info on Prague.

Thanks so much for sharing!

I've read through your blog--far beyond those parts related to Prague--and will surely refer back to it [and your post-trip entries] as I begin to plan our visit to Prague in earnest... It's a treasure trove of information... At the moment, I'm preoccupied with finalizing my plans/filling in the blanks for my Mediterranean ocean cruises this year but--like you--I'm an avid traveler, I'm more than a bit obsessed with trip planning, and am always intent to find just the experiences I want... You've given me some great food for thought!

You are a talented/engaging writer, a skilled photographer, and have an interesting story... I don't do Social Media of any sort but here's a big "Like!" from me!

Wishing you and Arvin a fun, fulfilling and memorable trip of a lifetime... I'll be eager to read more!

Thanks again,

--Mike

Mike,

Thank you! I hope you find some useful information in my blog. I will share more as we go along. I pulled out some photographs from my tours back in the 80's and plan to scan and share them. I'm very excited to have a digital camera on this upcoming trip.

Happy sailing.

Rebecca

I've read through your blog--far beyond those parts related to Prague--and will surely refer back to it [and your post-trip entries] as I begin to plan our visit to Prague in earnest... It's a treasure trove of information... At the moment, I'm preoccupied with finalizing my plans/filling in the blanks for my Mediterranean ocean cruises this year but--like you--I'm an avid traveler, I'm more than a bit obsessed with trip planning, and am always intent to find just the experiences I want... You've given me some great food for thought!

You are a talented/engaging writer, a skilled photographer, and have an interesting story... I don't do Social Media of any sort but here's a big "Like!" from me!

Wishing you and Arvin a fun, fulfilling and memorable trip of a lifetime... I'll be eager to read more!

Thanks again,

--Mike

Thanks again,

--Mike

Rebecca, Ditto from me!

Great blog!

We will be in Prague from 9/2-9/5 after our Avalon sailing...Budapest to Prague.

I have gotten so much help from people on the forums...but none of them were going to Prague...

So excited I found your blog!

Chris

Rebecca, Ditto from me!

Great blog!

We will be in Prague from 9/2-9/5 after our Avalon sailing...Budapest to Prague.

I have gotten so much help from people on the forums...but none of them were going to Prague...

So excited I found your blog!

Chris

I'm glad you found it too. I wish I had more time to devote to it. I have three more weeks left in my college class and then I will have more time to blog. When I was a young girl, I dreamed of being a journalist. I actually joined the Navy at the age of 17 and signed in to be one but someone convinced me to change career fields because journalism was a tough job to break into in the civilian world and the other job would allow me to have secure employment opportunities while I worked on getting on the journalism track. I could go to college for journalism and then I'd be good to go when I got out or retired. Well, I retired, I'm still doing the type of work I did in the Navy and my college degree is in Victim advocacy....but I'm still a journalist at heart.

I hope that you find our adventures there helpful in your planning. Let me know if you have any questions I can try to answer while I'm there.

Reb

I'm glad you found it too. I wish I had more time to devote to it. I have three more weeks left in my college class and then I will have more time to blog. When I was a young girl, I dreamed of being a journalist. I actually joined the Navy at the age of 17 and signed in to be one but someone convinced me to change career fields because journalism was a tough job to break into in the civilian world and the other job would allow me to have secure employment opportunities while I worked on getting on the journalism track. I could go to college for journalism and then I'd be good to go when I got out or retired. Well, I retired, I'm still doing the type of work I did in the Navy and my college degree is in Victim advocacy....but I'm still a journalist at heart.

I hope that you find our adventures there helpful in your planning. Let me know if you have any questions I can try to answer while I'm there.

Reb

Well your blog is excellent. I'm glad you're getting to exercise your journalism chops on us...

We are going to be there for a much shorter time than you so I'll have to do the mini version!

I'm probably going to ask this on the Avalon board, but I'll ask you too...

And I'm not trying to say anything against Avalon because I feel certain we are going to love our cruise with them. But...we are doers...and I'm a little concerned that the included tours don't seem to include an inside visit to most of the attractions. We don't plan on resting until we get home...we have not been to any of these countries for long and we want to see them.

I do realize we are there for a short time...but in Budapest, Vienna, & Prague there are 3-4 places we want to do an inside visit in each city and there is a lot we want to see.

I'm just wondering if we should skip the included tour in the major cities.

I know you might have a better idea after you've sailed, so please let me know!

Thanks.

Chris

Well your blog is excellent. I'm glad you're getting to exercise your journalism chops on us...

We are going to be there for a much shorter time than you so I'll have to do the mini version!

I'm probably going to ask this on the Avalon board, but I'll ask you too...

And I'm not trying to say anything against Avalon because I feel certain we are going to love our cruise with them. But...we are doers...and I'm a little concerned that the included tours don't seem to include an inside visit to most of the attractions. We don't plan on resting until we get home...we have not been to any of these countries for long and we want to see them.

I do realize we are there for a short time...but in Budapest, Vienna, & Prague there are 3-4 places we want to do an inside visit in each city and there is a lot we want to see.

I'm just wondering if we should skip the included tour in the major cities.

I know you might have a better idea after you've sailed, so please let me know!

Thanks.

Chris

Chris,

I'm sure that there are many here that can give you a good answer to that question. I will certainly share what we discover while we are on our tour.

Well, I have been in touch with a nice gal at Cruise Critic about my

review. Seems when I submitted it the format did not work but I never

received the email from CC about it.:(... I was just emailing them about

when they thought it would be posted...a really nice gal named Jane

said she didn't know why I never received the email....I told her I don't

know how to change the format and that I copied and pasted it from here.

She said she would manually post it for me:)

I actually submitted it twice but the only other way I would know to do it

would be to manually post everything again.

Well, hopefully she will take care of it and I emailed her a BIG THANK YOU.

Hoping it will be on the site soon.

• 1 month later...

I was walking over a bridge in Amsterdam when I heard a noise. My grandmother told me to step back against the railing. Then hundreds and hundreds of bike riders flew by. God forbid if one of them fell.

Lois, why does your type only go half way across a page?

Thank you Lois for your awesome river cruise review. I am considering the same river cruise for next year. One question . . . Can the heated pool be used on every cruise or only during summer months? Thanks!

Thank you Lois for your awesome river cruise review. I am considering the same river cruise for next year. One question . . . Can the heated pool be used on every cruise or only during summer months? Thanks!

I sailed in April and people were using the pool. (And it was cool/cold

outside;)).....I don't know about the other months.