My First River Cruise.....OMG....

Lois R

Lois,

So where are you going on your next river cruise? I'm probably booking this Tuesday - Bucharest to Budapest. I may have missed this in your review, but approx. how many other singles/solos were there onboard? Cruising, whether ocean or river, is a great way for a solo to travel, IMO.

Roz

Hey Roz.....I think I know what I am going to do.....Amsterdam to

Basel....:)...I really like Amsterdam and did not see enough of it so

when I saw this itinerary? It looks good:D

The ship sails on a Saturday so I could actually have 2 nights in Amsterdam

to see some of the Museums...(I did the culinary tour). And just have an

additional day before cruising.......Did you book something yesterday?

Edited by Lois R

Fantastic review Lois and I can't believe you are back home already! So, I know the cruise must have been over too quickly!

I loved reading all the details about your fabulous trip and I think a river cruise needs to be on my bucket list now :D

Welcome home!

I am in Amsterdam now and the weather is cold but no rain so far. I love my hotel smack dab in the middle of the Herengracht canal in the Jordaan District. Among other things the shopping here is excellent and I may be broke when I leave since I have four days before my river cruise.

Have booked two walking tours plus another one and the canal cruise will be from the boat, and will be spending tomorrow afternoon at the museums. There is so much to do here, a week is needed at least.

Looking forward to Bruges and Ghent and the tulips at Kuchenhoff. The ones I have seen in the city are very colorful but I know they will be nothing compared to the fields of color.

Lois thanks for your info. Really helpful.

We arrive in Amsterdam on the 25th, and we have a full week booked there before we join our river cruise, so happy to hear that there is plenty to do.

We are staying in the Jordaan area also, and we likewise have a tour to Kuchenhoff booked during out stay. Otherwise, we are doing a countryside biking tour with Wheely Dutch, and day trips to Delft/The Hague, and Haarlem. Plus several days of in-Amsterdam sightseeing of course. :)

Edited by Tamara2cruise

Fantastic review Lois and I can't believe you are back home already! So, I know the cruise must have been over too quickly!

I loved reading all the details about your fabulous trip and I think a river cruise needs to be on my bucket list now :D

Welcome home!

Hi Linda, thanks:)....yes, I would definitely recommend a River Cruise:)

Everything AMA offers is really.....how shall I put it? Casually upscale.....

it was terrific:)

We arrive in Amsterdam on the 25th, and we have a full week booked there before we join our river cruise, so happy to hear that there is plenty to do.

We are staying in the Jordaan area also, and we likewise have a tour to Kuchenhoff booked during out stay. Otherwise, we are doing a countryside biking tour with Wheely Dutch, and day trips to Delft/The Hague, and Haarlem. Plus several days of in-Amsterdam sightseeing of course. :)

Oh wow, you have a week there and a river cruise? You will find plenty

to do:D

Thanks so much for your review! Sounds like it was a wonderful trip :)

Hey stranger:)..........I remember when I was thinking about going on

your upcoming cruise. Boy, was that a long time ago;)

Yes, this trip is about tied with my first ever cruise to the Med....I would

say A and 1A:)

Hope you have a wonderful time too.

Hi Lois...I'm onboard the AmaViola...maiden cruise...beautiful new riverboat. Thought I'd mention we are docked along side the AmaStella ...we had to walk through the AmaStella to the pier so got a small peek at your riverboat too!! :). I had 5 great tour days in Amsterdam then boarded yesterday and was invited to the Captain's Table for dinner last night. Wonderful way to start my AmaViola adventure! Thank You for sharing your cruise with us. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi Lois...I'm onboard the AmaViola...maiden cruise...beautiful new riverboat. Thought I'd mention we are docked along side the AmaStella ...we had to walk through the AmaStella to the pier so got a small peek at your riverboat too!! :). I had 5 great tour days in Amsterdam then boarded yesterday and was invited to the Captain's Table for dinner last night. Wonderful way to start my AmaViola adventure! Thank You for sharing your cruise with us. :)

Pat

Hope you have an amazing trip and wonderful memories. Would love to hear about your precruise in Amsterdam after you return.

Safe travels!

Hi Lois,

This may seem like a silly question, but did you see windmills as you were cruising?

Also, in Arnhem, did you hear of anyone going to the open air museum (looks like what we would call a pioneer village)

Mary

Hi Lois,

This may seem like a silly question, but did you see windmills as you were cruising?

Also, in Arnhem, did you hear of anyone going to the open air museum (looks like what we would call a pioneer village)

Mary

Hi Mary, not a silly question at all. There were a couple of stops to see

the Windmills.......:) there is a BIG one at the Gardens....and there is

another stop......I will post the name later...I can't think of it right now.

Yes, there was a Museum...I will post it tonight too.....

(just home for lunch right now;))

Hi Lois:

I LOVED your review! Thanks so much for taking the time to post. I am so happy that the river cruise was a great experience for you. We are going to book a river cruise for 2017 or 2018, hopefully from Prague to Budapest, and we will give AMA a first look, based on your great reviews and others.

I know that everyone says that river cruises are very different from ocean cruises, but what would you say are the top 3 things you enjoyed about your river cruise, compared to your Celebrity ocean cruises. Conversely, what did you miss most about the Celebrity experience?

I love that you felt so well taken care of on AMA. That is what we always loved about the Celebrity experience.

Lois, I really enjoyed reading your review. You were very thorough and I added the Amsterdam hotel to my list to consider. I went on my first river cruise 2 years ago on Avalon, Budapest to Prague. Just wonderful

I'm traveling solo on the 2017 river cruise. I need to use a walker for tours because of my back, but I don't need it for just normal stuff. I tried to get one of those single supplement cabins on the bottom deck, but the elevator doesn't go down to that level and I don't want to carry the walker up and downstairs everyday, so I had to book on the level up. It's a shame these ships don't allow people to store their walkers, but just no room.

I'm looking forward to visiting Switzerland again. I'll be looking at this forum to see other reviews from travelers. I always pick up great information. I'm hoping the tulips will still be blooming when we arrive in Amsterdam, I start the trip May 2 in Zurich.

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. Enjoy your next cruise!

Hi Pat, wishing you a wonderful cruise or 2;):D:)

Hi Lois:

I LOVED your review! Thanks so much for taking the time to post. I am so happy that the river cruise was a great experience for you. We are going to book a river cruise for 2017 or 2018, hopefully from Prague to Budapest, and we will give AMA a first look, based on your great reviews and others.

I know that everyone says that river cruises are very different from ocean cruises, but what would you say are the top 3 things you enjoyed about your river cruise, compared to your Celebrity ocean cruises. Conversely, what did you miss most about the Celebrity experience?

I love that you felt so well taken care of on AMA. That is what we always loved about the Celebrity experience.

Hello Eileen:D...glad you found it. You are going to book one? Well, I

put a deposit down for another already for next year.....starting in

Amsterdam and ending in Basel sailing on the Rhine. It is for May 2017.

You and Gerry ought to join me:) I will do 2 days in Amsterdam pre

cruise so I will be able to see some museums and have that extra

day before sailing.:)

I would have to think hard on your questions....being totally honest,

it is just a totally different atmosphere. Not sure I missed 3 things...

I will really have to think about it to give you a truthful answer.

Hi Lois,

Mary

Mary, the city was Arnhem and there is an "AIRBORNE MUSEUM AND

OPERATIONS MARKET". I didn't go there but it was offered as a tour.

And The Windmill visit was in Kinderdijk.

Mary, the city was Arnhem and there is an "AIRBORNE MUSEUM AND

OPERATIONS MARKET". I didn't go there but it was offered as a tour.

And The Windmill visit was in Kinderdijk.

On your next cruise, as you leave Amsterdam for Basel they will take you on a bus tour of Amsterdam while the boat sails through an industrial canal. On your way to meet the boat you will stop at the "Rembrandt Windmill" for a photo op. There's only one windmill there and it is very touristy, nothing like Kinderdijk.

We don't have Kinderdijk as a stop, and that is why I was wondering if you can see the windmills from the river as we sail past.

I hope that Lois can answer this, but note that your cruise is very different from most itineraries discussed here: it's not exactly the Tulip Time loop, and most other itineraries start or end in Amsterdam. If your earlier posting about A-Rosa is still accurate you start in Bonn, visit Amsterdam between Rotterdam and Arnhem, and end in Cologne. It sounds like a lovely itinerary, but it is so different from the others that it may be hard for anyone to give you reliable advice. A-Rosa is also not frequently reviewed here, so few people will know about the excursions that may be offered to you. Sorry in advance if we can't help with your planning, but when you get back your report will be a major increase in our common knowledge base!

Hello marysb,

have you enquired at ARosa about their tour packages? You can book these on their cruises geared to the German market.

Kinderdijk is on the Leek, that is one arm of the Rhine in the estuary not far from Rotterdam. On this flat land I do hope someone can sure you that you can see them from the distance.

Perhaps it might be possible for you to book a tour if you are very interested: http://tickets.holland.com/activity/90-boat-trip-rotterdam-kinderdijk.html

As hostjazzbeau has pointed out we are not really that familiar with Arosa, especially your itinerary.

Have a great time.

notamermaid

Good morning folks......Mary, I cannot remember:confused:......I think

we did pass some windmills but I am not sure where we were.

I am not much help on this one for you...sorry:(

Hi Lois:

I have been thinking about your question...3 things....the ambiance is

so much more intimate on a River Cruise, the food was like a 5 star

restaurant...no lines for anything. No scanning of a card to get on

and off the ship, you go to Guest Relations to get your Safety card, you

bring it back to them when you get back on the ship.....just an easier

way to do things......but of course there are way less people so they

can do it that way....the feeling is casual but upscale casual.

What did I miss most about Celebrity? Not sure I missed anything.

Is that an odd answer? Maybe my taste is changing?

Oh, it is much further to fly LOL.....that is part of the process I know.

Edited by Lois R

Eileen, I didn't realize how much your questions would give me food

for thought.

I have been home for just over a week and I don't have a longing to

go back to Celebrity but I had such a wonderful time that I did book

another River Cruise:)

I don't want to say I won't sail Celebrity again because I do have a good,

long history with them. I have quite a bit of vacation time left this year

but I may actually try another ocean cruise line and not Celebrity.

I am just not sure anymore.....The River Cruise was such a fantastic

experience......:D I realized there are certain things on the ship that

a larger ship offers but they can't be on a Riverboat....example, a

2nd bar.....but it never took away anything (not having it)....you don't

think about it when you are on the ship.

You know how you compare things when you sail different companies

and both are Ocean cruises.....well, you cannot really compare the

same things on a River Cruise. They don't apply.

So many differences........it is not fair to compare.

Lois, loved your review, and I am inspired to attempt same upon returning from our upcoming Grand European cruise, Amsterdam to Bucharest, Romania - 26 days in all. This will likewise be our first river cruise after many years of ocean cruising. We leave tomorrow AM.

We will be in Amsterdam for a week on our own before meeting our Vantage tour group to board our boat, and my itinerary is positively packed with activities. Way more than we'll be able to do, I'm sure, but that will just be an excuse to return. :)

Edited by Tamara2cruise

I have been thinking about your question...3 things....the ambiance is

so much more intimate on a River Cruise, the food was like a 5 star

restaurant...no lines for anything. No scanning of a card to get on

and off the ship, you go to Guest Relations to get your Safety card, you

bring it back to them when you get back on the ship.....just an easier

way to do things......but of course there are way less people so they

can do it that way....the feeling is casual but upscale casual.

What did I miss most about Celebrity? Not sure I missed anything.

Is that an odd answer? Maybe my taste is changing?

Oh, it is much further to fly LOL.....that is part of the process I know.

I see that you enjoyed a more intimate experience of a river cruise. We also found that we enjoyed that experience on ocean cruises as well even thought we have been on many Celebrity cruises. We've tried smaller ships on Regent, Oceania & Azamara & enjoyed them a lot including feeling the food was high quality restaurant rather than banquet type experiences + the service was superior. we also now prefer upscale casual rather than the formal nights experience. We're trying our 1st river cruise this summer and are looking forward to it.

Edited by dabear