My First River Cruise.....OMG....

Lois R

Lois, I was bored this morning and when I saw you mentioned the review being "disjointed", I was happy to do it for you! I know we've never formally met, but I feel like we have been friends for years! :D Friends help friends! :)

I just have to chime in here, because as I read Lois' review, I had the exact feeling you did. I have never sailed with Lois, nor formally met her, yet I feel that we have been friends for a long time; she's that kind of person. My wife is not on CC, yet I'm always mentioning to her about my CC friend, Lois. OK, enough of the sappiness. I enjoyed reading your report Lois, but thanks Bonnie, the the assist!

I just have to chime in here, because as I read Lois' review, I had the exact feeling you did. I have never sailed with Lois, nor formally met her, yet I feel that we have been friends for a long time; she's that kind of person. My wife is not on CC, yet I'm always mentioning to her about my CC friend, Lois. OK, enough of the sappiness. I enjoyed reading your report Lois, but thanks Bonnie, the the assist!

Hi Rich, thank you.....tell your bride hello from me:)

Lois,

So where are you going on your next river cruise? I'm probably booking this Tuesday - Bucharest to Budapest. I may have missed this in your review, but approx. how many other singles/solos were there onboard? Cruising, whether ocean or river, is a great way for a solo to travel, IMO.

Roz

Hi Roz:)...I don't know yet. I was looking at Paris/Normandy but I am

checking AMA's other itineraries too......timing and $ are a large part of

my choices.

As for solo's on board.....there were a few other women who were

sailing solo....some were in a group and example, I think a few were

widows....I know there was another gal whose husband doesn't travel

but she does...I also met 1 mom who was traveling with her 2

daughter's.....she was in her 60s.....the daughters were in

their 40s......

There were a few mother/daughters sailing together actually.

But I really don't care too much about that........I found couples to

be friendly as well.

I agree with you, sailing solo is awesome:D

Edited by Lois R

Hi Roz:)...I don't know yet. I was looking at Paris/Normandy but I am checking AMA's other itineraries too......timing and $ are a large part of my choices.

When you look at the AMA website or brochure, remember that you can save money by booking the "cruise only" fare. For example, the Provence and Spain tour includes time in Paris, TGV to Lyon, the cruise, and then a bus ride from Avignon across France to Barcelona. If you book "cruise only," you could fly rt to Paris, take the TGV to Lyon, cruise, then TGV back to Paris from Avignon (or vice versa, depending on which way your cruise sails!). You can stay in Paris for much less than AMA (or any cruise line) charges, and let your budget determine the number of days there.

Hi Lois,

So glad you enjoyed your first river cruise after being on so many ocean cruises. Your review is a perfect read for the first time River Cruiser after being on Ocean Cruises. You hit all the points what is important to know on a river cruise. Also, as many of us try to explain, you just can't compare ocean cruise to river cruise, they are two totally different experiences.

I think your thorough research here on Cruise Critic allowed you to be prepared at what to expect, so there were no big surprises. i.e. drafting, open dinner seating. I don't thing that River Cruising is for "all" ocean cruisers, but with research and asking questions here on CC one can decide more readily.

We did the Paris-Normandy itinerary. Loved it.

When you look at the AMA website or brochure, remember that you can save money by booking the "cruise only" fare. For example, the Provence and Spain tour includes time in Paris, TGV to Lyon, the cruise, and then a bus ride from Avignon across France to Barcelona. If you book "cruise only," you could fly rt to Paris, take the TGV to Lyon, cruise, then TGV back to Paris from Avignon (or vice versa, depending on which way your cruise sails!). You can stay in Paris for much less than AMA (or any cruise line) charges, and let your budget determine the number of days there.

Thanks for that tip Jazz:)

Lois:

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this wonderful review. We are leaving the evening of May 3rd for the May 5-12 Tulip Time sailing on AmaViola, another of Ama's new ships. It will be our first river cruise, as well -- and our first visit to Amsterdam -- and your review was so helpful!

kathy

Lois:

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this wonderful review. We are leaving the evening of May 3rd for the May 5-12 Tulip Time sailing on AmaViola, another of Ama's new ships. It will be our first river cruise, as well -- and our first visit to Amsterdam -- and your review was so helpful!

kathy

Hi Kathy:)...we sailed by Viola;)....and I hope you have a wonderful time

too:)...it was seriously awesome:D. I don't know what the weather will be

in 2 weeks for you but I was continually checking weather.com before I left.

I have to say, I packed really well....and although I packed one pair of

shorts and 2 short sleeved tops (sort of t shirt style) I never even touched

them. So if I was you, check the weather......April is quite chilly. I don't know

how much warmer May is...

Edited by Lois R

I am in Amsterdam now and the weather is cold but no rain so far. I love my hotel smack dab in the middle of the Herengracht canal in the Jordaan District. Among other things the shopping here is excellent and I may be broke when I leave since I have four days before my river cruise.

Have booked two walking tours plus another one and the canal cruise will be from the boat, and will be spending tomorrow afternoon at the museums. There is so much to do here, a week is needed at least.

Looking forward to Bruges and Ghent and the tulips at Kuchenhoff. The ones I have seen in the city are very colorful but I know they will be nothing compared to the fields of color.

Lois thanks for your info. Really helpful.

I am in Amsterdam now and the weather is cold but no rain so far. I love my hotel smack dab in the middle of the Herengracht canal in the Jordaan District. Among other things the shopping here is excellent and I may be broke when I leave since I have four days before my river cruise.

Have booked two walking tours plus another one and the canal cruise will be from the boat, and will be spending tomorrow afternoon at the museums. There is so much to do here, a week is needed at least.

Looking forward to Bruges and Ghent and the tulips at Kuchenhoff. The ones I have seen in the city are very colorful but I know they will be nothing compared to the fields of color.

Lois thanks for your info. Really helpful.

Glad you are having a good time and good weather too:)

Lois R: we enjoyed your posts. BTW, did the ship provide electric converter plugs from European outlets to US type, in order to charge electronics?

Hi:)...I borrowed a converter but no, the cabins did not have them.

You can probably buy one from Magellan's or that type of company.

I will probably do that so I have one for my next cruise. The one I

used was from Guest Relations.

I knew this was going to happen.....I forgot an important item...there

was a 3rd night of entertainment:D...I do not remember the gal's name

but she was a "pop singer" and had a list of at list 100 songs and people

would put in requests:)....she played for a couple of hours and quite a

few of us got up and danced.......it was a fun evening:)

And when I got my mail yesterday, there was a postcard from AMA

with a full paragraph thanking me and hoping I enjoyed the cruise and

that hopefully they will see me again.....this was in SNAIL MAIL.....not

sure if it came from CA (home office) but it looks REAL and has the

Capt's Signature, Nick's, and the Hotel Director.......with a stamp

from Europe.....it definitely looks like a person's handwriting.

This company looks better and better to me.:)

Hello Lois R,

I have been reading your posts and have lost count of the all the smileys in this thread now...:D

Great to read you have had such a wonderful time.

That gesture with the postcard sent to you after the cruise. Lovely idea. Priceless.

That company looks even better to me as well now.

notamermaid

Wanted to mention that you can send free post cards from the AMA ship IF you send one of theirs. They have a bunch of different ones to chose from and they will post it and send it for you at no charge.

I send my 2 year old and 5 year old granddaughters postcards. They enjoy getting them while we are on vacation.

Hi Jazz,:) I have emailed the help desk and I posted on the forum for

asking for help too......they need to add AMAStella to the list of AMA's

ships......is there anyway you could follow up for me on this? I would

love to copy and paste my review on the review section but cannot do

it until they add the ship.

Thanks so much:)

Got through the first 30 posts while waiting to board for home. Glad you had fun, and looking forward to reading the rest later! Welcome back!

Thank you, thank you:):D:)...it was one of the best trips I have ever

taken!