Avalon Basel to Amsterdam Review

cole

We arrived late last night home, but knowing that there are others out there who will be taking this cruise soon, I will try to provide you with information about the cruise and would love to answer any specific questions you might have.

First of all, we arrived in Zurich the day before departure and as has been our experience 2 times in the past - without luggage (thanks Delta!:(). We filed necessary papers but were fearful that since we would board the ship the next day, our luggage would arrive after we departed from the hotel on a pre-cruise excursion. Delta obviously had contacted Avalon about the delay and when Avalon picked up their passengers the next day, they also picked up our luggage and it was waiting for us when we boarded the ship that afternoon. (Thanks Avalon :)).

The Pilatus excursion was great, even though the view at the top was limited, due to clouds. The extra excursions of the German Dinner and Alsace wine tasting were also worth the $$$, The wine was not to our taste, but the young man who was our host knew his stuff and was very interesting explaining the process.

A general summary of food and the ship would be to say it was excellent and the ship is beautiful - this was the inaugural cruise for this ship. Although the first night and early morning, the creaks and squeaks were loud enough that it woke up most people. Some even asked to be moved from their cabin to another, but it was not different in new location for them. But as we progressed up the river it lessened.

All included excursions were well done with very knowledgeable guides. Our wish would be though that along with "easy walking" groups, there would be a group for people who want to hear the highlights and not the minute details of every church, every window, every painting. Information overload at times.:eek:

The food was outstanding and at times the desserts were almost too beautiful to eat, but that didn't keep us from enjoying all of them. The variety was wonderful at all meals.

So - that's the highlight. If you have specific questions, please do not hesitate to ask and I will be glad to try to answer. One last comment - there was only one sport coat worn during the special night - so gentlemen, save the space in you suitcase for other clothing.

Cole

Thanks for the review Cole, sounds as if you had a great time. We are hoping to do the cruise with just a carry on each (plus personal bag) so hopefully we won't have the problems of missed luggage which we had last time we flew.

I have one question.... were there outlets on both sides of the bed for plugging in phones etc, or just one? Just curious as we do have a travel power bar/converter to take but are hoping that we can charge our toys overnight and not just when we are out of the cabin to eat.

Thanks,

Donn

Thanks for the review Cole, sounds as if you had a great time. We are hoping to do the cruise with just a carry on each (plus personal bag) so hopefully we won't have the problems of missed luggage which we had last time we flew.

I have one question.... were there outlets on both sides of the bed for plugging in phones etc, or just one? Just curious as we do have a travel power bar/converter to take but are hoping that we can charge our toys overnight and not just when we are out of the cabin to eat.

Thanks,

Donn

Yes Donn, there were outlets on each side of the bed and several at the vanity. One on the wall as you enter the bathroom. We never had any problem finding an outlet for our converter. We had just ordered and received a converter with 4 areas to plug in and love it, you should have no problem charging your "toys".

Cole

Lol about the information overload. Do you know what I do? Take the earpiece out when I've had enough and just wander around. In koblenz we left the tour altogether and took the cable car to the otherside.

Yes, we do the same. Don't get me wrong, the guides are excellent, but they do tend to be wordy! We were on a private tour into Normandy a couple of years ago and our guide gave us enough information that we could have re-written Band of Brothers! Oh well, it was a great trip and that was the only "suggestion" we would have made.

Cole

Thanks Cole. The converter/power bar we have is actually made for Europe, when we use it here we have to add the extra plug. Most of our toys are charged by isn, so we made sure we had one that had lots of them on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks,

Donn

Donn - I need to make a correction. Woke up in the middle of the night (jetlag) and realized I gave incorrect information to you. There are no outlets on the nightstands. You have one outside the bathroom near the floor, one in the bathroom (which is a real outlet, not one that says "electric razors only" and then there is one on the left wall and one on the right wall of the vanity. Even though there are non on the nightstands, I don't think you will find that it is difficult to charge your toys. Sorry for the wrong information.

Cole

Yes, we do the same. Don't get me wrong, the guides are excellent, but they do tend to be wordy! We were on a private tour into Normandy a couple of years ago and our guide gave us enough information that we could have re-written Band of Brothers! Oh well, it was a great trip and that was the only "suggestion" we would have made.

Cole

We, too, prefer the "cliff notes" version. This is why we often opt for private or DIY in lieu of the included tours offered. The exception for us are active tours and limited edition tours, which are geared to our personal interests and pace (and offered on AMA, our line of choice).

Glad you had fun! We too are decompressing our brains after all the info we got on tours. We skipped the boat's tours in Budapest and Vienna, in favor of going off on our own. Both cities are easy to visit DIY.

Glad you had fun! We too are decompressing our brains after all the info we got on tours. We skipped the boat's tours in Budapest and Vienna, in favor of going off on our own. Both cities are easy to visit DIY.

JP and Chris...

What did you do on your own in Vienna? We will be there in 3 weeks, and have already done the usual ship's included tour, checked out a few museums on our own and are now wondering about something a little different. Thanks, RB

JP and Chris...

What did you do on your own in Vienna? We will be there in 3 weeks, and have already done the usual ship's included tour, checked out a few museums on our own and are now wondering about something a little different. Thanks, RB

Not sure what line you are cruising with but we did the "Hidden Vienna" with AMA a few years ago and enjoyed it. It was offered as a "Limited Edition" tour.

After the tour, we had lots of time on our own to explore the city. We had been there previously several times and had no plan in mind. Sometimes those lead to the best adventures. :)

Quick version of our one day there - as we'd already spent 2 nights in Vienna on our own in 2013 we didn't need to see the usual suspects, including Schönbrunn Palace.

So we walked from the boat to the Metro and grabbed 2 day passes. Went to Karlsplatz to see the church, where you can climb to the spire. Great frescoes, though the view from the spire isn't much.

Hit the Nachtmarkt which was awesome, though it was too early to eat and I'd have visited that later had I thought it through. Wandered some streets for the architecture. Did the museums in the Neueburg (behind the Hofburg Palace). An eclectic combination of stuff there. Walked by the Rathaus and Parliament - nice buildings. Ate a delicious lunch from a daily menu for something ridiculous like 8€ each.

Saw the State Hall in the National Library, as well as their papyrus, globe, and Esperanto museums (another odd combo). Visited the Römer museum in the Hoehrmarkt. Finished with the Mozarthaus. Metro back to the ship and we were changed, and at dinner, in 10 minutes.

After dinner we went out again to try to ride the ferris wheel at the Prater. Turned out that it was closed earlier than their website had stated, so that was a swing and a miss. Oh well, can't get them all!

I should mention that we arrived in Vienna the previous evening, and we did the optional concert that night. So we had the full day to work with and wade the most of it.

If I've gotten any names wrong forgive me as this is from memory. I haven't finished that section of my blog yet, but it should be up, with pictures, before you are there. :)

Not sure what line you are cruising with but we did the "Hidden Vienna" with AMA a few years ago and enjoyed it. It was offered as a "Limited Edition" tour.

After the tour, we had lots of time on our own to explore the city. We had been there previously several times and had no plan in mind. Sometimes those lead to the best adventures. :)

Caviargal, thanks to you I knew to look for the Limited Edition tours, so I signed up for the Hidden Vienna tour and can't wait. Love my CC hints

Donn - I need to make a correction. Woke up in the middle of the night (jetlag) and realized I gave incorrect information to you. There are no outlets on the nightstands. You have one outside the bathroom near the floor, one in the bathroom (which is a real outlet, not one that says "electric razors only" and then there is one on the left wall and one on the right wall of the vanity. Even though there are non on the nightstands, I don't think you will find that it is difficult to charge your toys. Sorry for the wrong information.

Cole

No problem Cole, I'm sure we will manage. Guess I'm just used to having my phone on my nightstand all night and that's usually when I charge it. People won't be texting or calling anyway, as we are planning to pick up sim cards when we land and the phone # will only be given to parents or family for emergencies. You say the one in the bathroom is a "real" outlet, can you use razors in it? DH has a battery operated shaver that will hold a charge for the length of the cruise, but just in case....:)

Welcome home cole. We are sailing on the Imagery 11 in July and just made final payment. Our cruise doesn't offer the optional German Dinner in Rudesheim which we were looking forward to. Do you happen to remember the name of the restaurant they took you to and can you walk there from the ship?

Welcome home cole. We are sailing on the Imagery 11 in July and just made final payment. Our cruise doesn't offer the optional German Dinner in Rudesheim which we were looking forward to. Do you happen to remember the name of the restaurant they took you to and can you walk there from the ship?

Yes it is walking distance. We took the little trolley train which picked up the group at the ship to the spot, but walked back so we could purchase some wine for our state room. Easy walk along the river. The dinner was in the same spot that you will have your Rudesheimer Coffee and that was The Reudesheimer Schloss Hotel. Do not know why the spelling is different, but that is how it is listed on our Daily. There were many people at the restaurant who were not part of a tour group.

Cole

No problem Cole, I'm sure we will manage. Guess I'm just used to having my phone on my nightstand all night and that's usually when I charge it. People won't be texting or calling anyway, as we are planning to pick up sim cards when we land and the phone # will only be given to parents or family for emergencies. You say the one in the bathroom is a "real" outlet, can you use razors in it? DH has a battery operated shaver that will hold a charge for the length of the cruise, but just in case....:)

I really don't know if you can use it for a razor or not without an adapter & converter. It is the same kind of outlet that is located in the other spots. We use our phones on the nightstand also to tell the time, so we generally had them charged up before we slept and then connected them again when we left the state room for breakfast. Never had a problem with inadequate power.

Cole

The dinner was in the same spot that you will have your Rudesheimer Coffee and that was The Reudesheimer Schloss Hotel. Do not know why the spelling is different, but that is how it is listed on our Daily.

Cole

I think that I know why they are spelled differently. The explanation is a bit pedantic but anyway...

The town name in German is Rüdesheim. There is an umlaut over the u. Rudesheim is not spelled correctly.

When you type a German word that contains vowels with umlauts, on a device that can't type them, you put an e after the vowel to signify the missing umlaut.

So, Hotel Rüdesheimer Schloss becomes Hotel Ruedesheimer Schloss on an English language printer (I have always seen the e after the vowel, not before, so I think Reudesheimer is a typo). Technically, the town should be spelled the same way, Ruedesheim, not Rudesheim. Of course if you're using a computer or a smart phone, it's easy to type it as Rüdesheim.

If any of our German cc friends want to explain further... I am certainly no expert on this topic. :) But there are several more layers of discussion.

Ok, back to some more fun topics... we thought Rüdesheim was charming and want to visit again.

We enjoy daytime cruising on the boat as it sails past picturesque towns. Other than the morning cruising the Rhine Gorge, are there other times of daylight cruising or is most of it done at night?

From Speyer (you leave at 11 and arrive at 1:00) in Mannheim. Leave Mainz at 11:15 and arrive in Rudesheim at 1:30. Rhine Gorge the following morning. Morning cruising before you reach Cologne. Depart Cologne at 1:45 and overnight to Amsterdam. So there are periods of sailing during the day.

After you have done the Rhine, schedule the Douro because ALL of the sailing is during the day because they do not allow ships to sail at night on that river. Beautiful scenery!

Cole

Hi Cole. Thank you for the great information as I am starting to do a lot of planning for our cruise - only 3 months away! Will definitely look into the Duoro for next year. Did you sail on it and which cruise lines do?

Yes we did it in the Spring of 2014 and would love to return some Fall to be able to enjoy the beautiful colors of the vineyards. We sailed on Uniworld. One doesn't have as many choices sailing on the Douro as the other European rivers due to the fact that it is much shallower than the others and the boats have to be built especially for the depth. We had a pre-cruise tour with Uniworld that began in Lisbon, which was great and at the end of the cruise, we flew to Madrid for two extra nights and thoroughly enjoyed seeing that city, even if it was a short visit. The Port wine flowed freely on this cruise since the region is famous for this particular spirit.;)

Cole

A general summary of food and the ship would be to say it was excellent and the ship is beautiful - this was the inaugural cruise for this ship.

Cole

Which Longship was it??

Our friends and us are going on our first River Cruise during the Christmas Market Season (Dec 10-17) on Avalon Imagery II (one of Avalon's new ships in 2016) Amsterdam to Basel...

Really Looking Forward to It.

Dennis & Sue

Which Longship was it??

Our friends and us are going on our first River Cruise during the Christmas Market Season (Dec 10-17) on Avalon Imagery II (one of Avalon's new ships in 2016) Amsterdam to Basel...

Really Looking Forward to It.

Dennis & Sue

It was the Imagery II. As I said, she is beautiful as are all of their longships. The cabins with the wall of windows are fantastic. Tell your friends (as we told about 35 first time cruisers on our cruise), don't expect this to be your last. I would imagine, if they had had the opportunity to sign up for their next cruise while on our voyage, Avalon would have had many take that opportunity.

Cole