Thinking of jumping ship

ufyellowfin

Just got back from another carnival cruise and had a good time, but the wife and I are looking for a change. Can someone give me a run down on a boat like the Escape? We have done southern Caribbean , western Caribbean, and Bahamas. This time looking for eastern Caribbean with our two kids that would be 7 and 4. I've read a few reviews about Norwegian but was wondering how they're format was vs carnival. Would we have a good time if we did not pay for any of the up charge food? How are the kids clubs and splash pad areas? We are looking at Norwegian or MSC are these more of a good comparison?

I just got off the Escape a few weeks ago. We did have a great time, although it's hard not to on a cruise, but I can honestly say I didn't like it as much as the Carnival Breeze and no where near as much as the RCI Oasis class.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Definitely try an NCL cruise- the Escape or Getaway! We are headed on the Getaway again in 13 days for the second time- and we did 4 Carnival before moving to try NCL. On both the Getaway and the Spirit we did not do the Specialty Dining, opting for the Beverage Package instead. This time we got both the SDP and UBP so we are excited to try the specialty restaurants. As for complimentary dining I can say the Getaway is awesome! Besides the 3 main dining rooms- Taste, Savor and Tropicana there is 24 hr O'Sheehans that is yummy and has lots of great family friendly choices on the menu, the always delish Garden Buffet which even offers snacks from 9-11:30 of pizza, hot dogs, desserts, etc, Flamingo Grill which is a latin themed outdoor dining venue with great food and Shanghai noodles-a fun and tasty restaurant with really good food that used to be a paid restaurant and is now complimentary. We were never at a loss of places to dine or different foods to eat! Compared to Carnival this idea of dining being avail all the time was wonderful and made the cruise so much more relaxing! As for the kids activities my son is a teen and loved the teen club, as well as there are lots of activities like rope/rock wall, etc. There are plenty of family friendly activities for free like pizza making for families, as well as tons of shows and music galore! Make the jump! :)

Mine were 5 and 7 when we went on Getaway. They loved it. Your kids will love Escape.

In terms of recreational activities, there is mini golf, always popular with kids. Your kids will be able to do two of the slides (tube slide and slow yellow slide). They will especially love the kids splash park. There are obstacles and a small slide.

For the ropes course, your younger one is too small. There is a small course designed for younger kids that is about two feet off the ground. Is your older one 48 inches? If so, s/he can do the regular course, although it might be a bit too much. My 7 year old was just at 48 inches and she did the big one but said she was so scared and only did it once.

Kids club... Depends on the kid. On Getaway mine loved it. On Escape they were 7 and 9 and didn't like it as much. They said the counsellors weren't as fun, although I'm not sure how much they remember from two years ago.

Nighttime shows... Unfortunately I don't think Norwegian does a good job here with respect to kids. They will probably be bored with After Midnight and I'm not sure if Brat Pack is age appropriate. I guess Norwegian thinks younger kids should be in bed instead!

I do think your kids will have a great time, but I also think a line like Disney or RCCL's newest ship Harmony would also be great. I find that kids will always find ways to keep themselves entertained no matter what the ship.

The "included food" on NCL is fine. I never spent a penny on "extra dining" and I never went hungry.

One thing to note: if you are into good pizza, I mean really good authentic pizza, MSC is the way to go. The Divina is a beautiful ship with lots of non-Americans. If you put a child into their daycare they may with communications issues with the other kids. The entertainment is wonderful but not something a child would appreciate.

My opinion, NCL would be a better fit.

Come in Disney???Thats the most shockingly priced cruise line out there..For what they offer!!!On some sailings even oceania and regent are cheaper which are by far more superior to disney..I would never go on a disney cruise since i can not justify their huge prices

The downside to NCL's mega ships are that the pool area, including the children's pool area, is small & crowded relative to # of children on a typical sailing. And, it doesn't have all weather, retractable roof - sailing out of the northeast during colder months, not having one do make a difference.

Do give NCL a try - there are some great last minute bargain prices out of Miami latel and, IMO, don't get drawn into the specialty dining & Haven "perks" as everything is factored into the bundled prices.

Of course, not opposed to others with the will & desire to burn money - we travel more often and not just cruising. :p