Dressing for formal night?

tammymacb

Did I see you guys on NCL Getaway in The Haven last year? Anyway, a nice shirt and jacket are fine and your dresses should be fine - I typically do a black maxi dress with flashy earrings on formal night. Don't worry at all.

Hi. Sorry, I overlooked this. We have not been on a NCL cruise. The Haven looks wonderful, though!

This is not a comment!

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

If having to wear a tie or tux is going to be bold be sure to bold the evening gowns and cocktail dresses. It always seems like there are a number of women that feel like a sparkly top and slacks isn't bending the rules. We can either all suffer together or just go to specialty dining and avoid the entire mess.

Time to Google any Skort kilts for men or at least a non-wool kilt as it seems that kilts get a pass.

I just plain do not like to dress up. So on formal nights, I just avoid the MDR and stick to the buffet or the specialty restaurants. I will say that I was pleasantly surprised to find that NCL had completely eliminated formal nights. I'm wondering if that's a trend that will be expanding to other cruise lines.

Just back from 25 days on Regal. Only saw two men dressed like grocery store clerks (shirt, tie, no jacket) in the dining room on formal nights, everybody else had on a tux, suit, or at least a sport coat. The dining room was only about 75% full on formal nights.

There were a lot of sport coats on casual nights.

So what s this ting against grocery store clerks? Why attempt to insult people who do not dress o suit you?

I don't have a thing against grocery clerks, I was one myself at one time. I also don't care what people wear, it doesn't bother me at all. I was pointing out what I observed. The majority of people dressed appropriately for the venue or didn't show up.

Just back from 25 days on Regal. Only saw two men dressed like grocery store clerks (shirt, tie, no jacket) in the dining room on formal nights, everybody else had on a tux, suit, or at least a sport coat. The dining room was only about 75% full on formal nights.

There were a lot of sport coats on casual nights.

Was that on the TA crossing?

I just plain do not like to dress up. So on formal nights, I just avoid the MDR and stick to the buffet or the specialty restaurants.

I will say that I was pleasantly surprised to find that NCL had completely eliminated formal nights.

I'm wondering if that's a trend that will be expanding to other cruise lines.

I hope Not.

Tony

Yes, the TA and the following Baltic cruise. Seemed to be fewer people participating in the formal night on the Baltic portion.

That's funny, because I heard the opposite. I guess different people get different impressions even on similar cruises.

Yes, the TA and the following Baltic cruise. Seemed to be fewer people participating in the formal night on the Baltic portion.

I'm not a little surprised since lots of people spend time in Europe before flying back so why bother to lug around lots of extra unneeded clothing.

But why was formal night not heavily populated?

Maybe they just discovered the great buffet. :D

Colorado Coasty:

Did you go to the USCGA? My son just got into AIM and is beyond excited. This is his dream and is hoping to then get accepted there for the class of 2021.

Debbie in CO as well

No, but I have several friends who did. It is an excellent school and maybe the hardest of the service academies to get into. I wish you son luck.

I will say that I was pleasantly surprised to find that NCL had completely eliminated formal nights. I'm wondering if that's a trend that will be expanding to other cruise lines.

Carnival, Holland America and Celebrity have also eliminated "Formal Nights"

HAL now has "Gala Nights". Formal/dressy attire encouraged, but not required.

it's the same with Carnival and Celebrity -- they have names for it, but it isn't called formal and no need for a coat and tie if you're not inclined

What a great shame. The one thing that made cruising different from land holidays and they have taken them away. won't stop me dressing up though!

On over 20 cruises on P & O I have adhered to the dress code on formal nights along with c. 95% of the other passengers. My wife and I are due to go on our first Princess Cruise in the Baltic in a few weeks and wonder from what I have been reading if we should bother dressing up or simply dress tidily on formal nights. My problem is I normally take the full kilt outfit to wear on these nights and with the weight of the outfit (considerable) taken in conjunction with only 2 formal nights (a lower percentage than on P & O) and the impression I get that there will be a much lower number of passengers formally dressed, I wonder if it will be worth it. Any comments or advice ?

Yes, take your kilt and dress up as i do and show them all up! I have just come of Emerald Princess and most men had tuxedos or suits on. Just a few US citizens in jeans and t shirts:eek::eek::eek:

Princess seems to be the last holdout among the mass market cruise lines to keep their formal nights. (although not enforced).

Maybe it's just a ploy to keep those formal people who enjoy dressing up happy.