OK, So Maybe Carnival Isn’t As Bad As I Thought – So Sue Me

SailorJack

This is The Friendship Fountain (also called The Dancing Dolphins Fountain). Puerto Vallarta and Santa Barbara, CA (SailorJill's home town) have been sister cities since 1972 and Santa Barbara sculptor James Bottoms and Mexican sculptor Octavio Gutierrez jointly created this sculpture inspired by a Chumash Indian legend.

28173036615_8004986125_b.jpg

This is the Vallarta Dancers statue - a life-sized couple performing the Jarabe Tapatio (Mexican Hat Dance). It was created to honor what we were told is the national dance of Mexico.

28094689121_f725f88801_b.jpg

These are Los Arcos - it is a favorite gathering spot at night as it backdrops an amphitheater for evening entertainment.

27444217293_8085a18980_b.jpg

These are just some of the many statures and artworks that line the Malecon. One could spend more time than we had just admiring them and reading about their history.

GLAD you have joined some of the rest of us who like Carnival too.

I have done many cruises. NCL, Holland American, RCCL, and Princess. I KEEP coming back to Carnival. I don't do all the perks that a lot of people do, but they have enough for ME, to draw me back.

GLAD you have joined some of the rest of us who like Carnival too.

I have done many cruises. NCL, Holland American, RCCL, and Princess. I KEEP coming back to Carnival. I don't do all the perks that a lot of people do, but they have enough for ME, to draw me back.

My best perks are with Princess, but as my recent Carnival cruise demonstrated, sometimes its the ride and not the perks!

Some pictures of some of the older buildings in downtown.

28138314201_8082972427_b.jpg

Underground utilities have not yet made it to old town.:)

27600160274_87a2bb013c_b.jpg

The cathedral in the background is one of the "must see" attractions in PV.

28138308841_04611b650c_b.jpg

This is the inside of Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe (Our Lady of Guadalupe) cathedral. It was absolutely stunning.

28208210856_b01df60c06_b.jpg

28137906132_0588c0ce68_b.jpg

This is a bronze statue of San Francisco de Assis. There were several sculptures similar to this inside the cathedral. They were donated by members of the parish.

28137901762_55cb8ffdcf_b.jpg

Purple grapes are nothing compared to pepto bismol pink on the Splendor

You have me somewhat at a disadvantage as I have not been on the Splendor. I as assuming that the dining room on the Splendor is done in Pink? If so, that would probably best purple.

Did this cruise overnight in PV? If so, did you sample the night life.

Not on this cruise. I think Carnival alternates between an overnight in PV and a stop in Mazatlan. The cruise the week prior to ours included an overnight in PV, but we opted for an extra port, The overnight cruise in PV does not go to Mazatlan. Given the State Department's travel advisory for Puerto Vallarta, I am not sure I would want to be ashore at night there anyhow - although the ship announcement said things were relatively safe if you stuck to the tourist areas.

SailorJack, I love your reviews! I'll always remember the one with 'more sunken metal since WWII'.

Keep on sailing!

Thanks, glad you enjoyed them. The one you mentioned is one of my favorites as well. It was on the Norwegian Dream when we rammed a Japanese ship and sent brand new cars and cargo containers crashing into the ocean. it was noted that we now held the record for the most Japanese tonnage sunk 1945.:D

A link to that review is in my signature.

Jack

Thanks, glad you enjoyed them. The one you mentioned is one of my favorites as well. It was on the Norwegian Dream when we rammed a Japanese ship and sent brand new cars and cargo containers crashing into the ocean. it was noted that we now held the record for the most Japanese tonnage sunk 1945.:D

A link to that review is in my signature.

Jack

One of my favorites also.

One of my favorites also.

As I have said more than once, if I had known that that review was going to be around this long, I would have taken more care in writing it.

(I am paraphrasing the great Groucho Marx when he said "If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.):)

Well the "pink" on the Splendor didn't bother me any. I love pastel colors, so I had no problem with that. I also like purple which someone else mentioned as well.

Beauty, they say, is in the eye of the beholder. However, I think too much of any color can sometimes be a little disconcerting. Initially, we were a little surprised by the walls of purple in the MDR, but after the first night forgot all about it.