OK, So Maybe Carnival Isn’t As Bad As I Thought – So Sue Me

SailorJack

I just wanted to pop back in and say how much I'm enjoying your photos. Especially the recent ones from Old Town Mazatlan. We've been to Mazatlan a few times, but haven't ventured downtown yet. Your photos have made me want to do that next time we're there.

Thanks for stopping by. I have a photo somewhere of the restaurant we visited in Mazatlan that had the biggest and best $1 margaritas we have ever had. You will have to stop by there on your next visit and raise a glass to us. I will post the picture when I find it.

Jack

Enjoyed the photos. The story about the Star of David was interesting.

Glad you are following along. The backstory to that, as told to us by our guide, was that the church allowed the Jewish community to use the church grounds for their services until their synagogue was completed and in gratitude they helped fund the final construction of the church. It made for an interesting story. In any respect, it is a beautiful church - well worth the visit.

There were some homes with great views...but not much of a back yard.:)

27660226420_e6d96d5d0f_b.jpg

27837472642_57ea9f8f4f_b.jpg

Of course there were less expensive digs. The Devil's Cave was located just below the houses pictured above. Our guide offered to unlock the gate so we could enter, but we declined.

27660222510_02075b11dc_b.jpg

Of course there were less expensive digs. The Devil's Cave was located just below the houses pictured above. Our guide offered to unlock the gate so we could enter, but we declined.

27660222510_02075b11dc_b.jpg

Jack - You have a huge sense of adventure ... Why so skidish on going in the cave? 😨

Edited by DnD_Cruisin

Some of the many attractions along the Olas Altas Promenade are the many statues that line the walk. This one is of Jose Angel Espinosa Aragon - a very famous Mexican singer and composer who passed away in November of last year.

27882153591_77a2870654_b.jpg

There were also several statues of Mermaids - which appeared to be a common thread in Mazatlan. This one is called La Reina de los Mares - Queen of the Sea. At her side is Cupid.

27882151501_3ce45c7a01_b.jpg

This statue is La Mujer Mazatleca - a tribute to the women of Mazatlan who were said to be the most beautiful in the world. It was cast in Mexico City.

27925153096_66386f4e4c_b.jpg

Jack - You have a huge sense of adventure ... Why so skidish on going in the cave?

Quite clearly, I was prepared to enter the Devil's Cave, but concern for the women folk in our group prevented me from doing so. :)

Quite clearly, I was prepared to enter the Devil's Cave, but concern for the women folk in our group prevented me from doing so. :)

Too bad. I heard tell they had free Don't shoot - We are not drug people t-shirts in the cave.......

After our walk along the Malecon, returned to the square and found a delightful little restaurant that was offering big margaritas for $1!:)

If you should find yourself in Mazatlan, this is the place to go.

27898371702_ca8d7feaef_b.jpg

Margaritas for a dollar.

27720648670_c0641dd81e_b.jpg

And to top it off, they had entertainment. This duo sang beautifully and the Spanish language tunes added to the great atmosphere. Notice the bottles of tequila on the table with the little plastic cups on top. They were for free samples of the restaurants in-house tequilas. Coffee infused, vanilla infused, and regular. Altthough the samples were free, everyone bought at least one bottle. A great marketing ploy.:)

27898374482_01b385b8fc_b.jpg

Best review on the boards! I'd like to buy an autographed copy lol. I chuckled, snorted and laughed my way through the review and at several points you wrote something that I thought sounds like something I should say! Please take another cruise soon so you can share your wit and candor with us.

You are too kind, sir! But I am glad you enjoyed the review. Links to my other reviews are in my signature.

Next cruise is not until January.

Jack

Edited by SailorJack

After our walk along the Malecon, returned to the square and found a delightful little restaurant that was offering big margaritas for $1!:)

If you should find yourself in Mazatlan, this is the place to go.

27898371702_ca8d7feaef_b.jpg

Margaritas for a dollar.

27720648670_c0641dd81e_b.jpg

And to top it off, they had entertainment. This duo sang beautifully and the Spanish language tunes added to the great atmosphere. Notice the bottles of tequila on the table with the little plastic cups on top. They were for free samples of the restaurants in-house tequilas. Coffee infused, vanilla infused, and regular. Altthough the samples were free, everyone bought at least one bottle. A great marketing ploy.:)

27898374482_01b385b8fc_b.jpg

Margaritas for a dollar! Now if I could only get a cruise fare for a dollar I will be there!:D

Docked in Puerto Vallarta and the party boats are already loaded up. Apparently a lot of people are going to party on the water here.:)

27444445294_1022c240e7_b.jpg

Surprise. This port has a pirate boat ride.:) However, for most people the most important part of this shot is the Walmart and Sams just a couple of blocks from the ship.

27444220643_3e0056b5ec_b.jpg

We will be heading to "old" Puerto Vallarta and its famous Malecon, but across the bay can be seen the modern high-rises of PV.

27444217293_8085a18980_b.jpg

We start off our visit to Puerto Vallarta on the Malecon. It is often described as the "heart and soul" of PV and stretches about 11 blocks along the waterfront. Along the Malecon are a number of performing artists as well as works of art.

This sculpture is the "Los Milenios" (the Millennia) and was put in place in 2001 to celebrate the new millennium. the spiraling sculpture represents the passage of time and each section of the sculpture represents mankind's evolution - starting off with the origin of life and ending with a hope for future peace.

27468103794_3905c433c2_b.jpg

This was one of the first sculptures placed on the Malecon (1984) and was called "Nostalgia". It was created by Ramiz Barquet who dedicated the sculpture to his wife. It portrays a loving couple sitting side by side and staring out to sea.

28082018165_9831a9bc3f_b.jpg

This one is "Triton and the Mermaid" and was added to the Malecon in 1990.

27468098954_f3686636a5_b.jpg

Dearest Sailor Jack,

I read your review because I am a bit of a cruise snob, having only previously sailed on the line Captained by a large, happy rodent. Recent circumstances caused us to push out our cruise on said rodent's line, as my husband could not get vacation from his new job. He said, 'We can not go on vacation the week after Thanksgiving". "Umm, what is this we you speak of?". I then set to finding a cruise that my son and I could afford, preferably one that sailed out of Baltimore so we could drive to the port. I was crushed that Carnival was my only choice. I booked it, the Pride for 27NOV2016, but told no one. In a cruel twist, I booked this cruise on the same day the Penguins won the Stanley Cup, and was sure that my plight was somehow the fault of Gary Bettman and Sidney Crosby. I have been lurking these boards, searching for a glimmer of hope, and found it in your review. Different ship, different ports, same deliciously evil, snarky sense of humor. Thank you, thank you....thank you.

The marina in Cabo was packed with charter boats. The waters off Cabo are loaded with game fish and people come from all over the world to fish here. We once spent an enjoyable day fishing for marlin but got skunked - not even a close one. But it was an enjoyable day.

26722056063_e8001f5c95_b.jpg

I really like the white boat in this photo! Yep - the white one is my favorite and I hope to one day buy a blue one just like the white one. (Sounds like something you would say SailorJack! LOL)

LOL. I missed your post earlier. I know will you will get the blue boat just like the white one (assuming they come in a color other than white).:D

Edited by SailorJack

If your conversation is as good as your writing, I would be happy to have you on my cruise anytime.

Thanks.

OK...no pressure here! I don't know how to rate a conversation level.:D But happy to join your cruise.

Jack

Dearest Sailor Jack,

I read your review because I am a bit of a cruise snob, having only previously sailed on the line Captained by a large, happy rodent. Recent circumstances caused us to push out our cruise on said rodent's line, as my husband could not get vacation from his new job. He said, 'We can not go on vacation the week after Thanksgiving". "Umm, what is this we you speak of?". I then set to finding a cruise that my son and I could afford, preferably one that sailed out of Baltimore so we could drive to the port. I was crushed that Carnival was my only choice. I booked it, the Pride for 27NOV2016, but told no one. In a cruel twist, I booked this cruise on the same day the Penguins won the Stanley Cup, and was sure that my plight was somehow the fault of Gary Bettman and Sidney Crosby. I have been lurking these boards, searching for a glimmer of hope, and found it in your review. Different ship, different ports, same deliciously evil, snarky sense of humor. Thank you, thank you....thank you.

Sorry about the Flyers, but my Canucks did not do that well. Glad you enjoyed the review. I know you will enjoy your cruise on Carnival. We had held off sailing on Carnival for years, but were delightfully surprised by our experience - as I know you will be also.

Jack

Sorry about the Flyers, but my Canucks did not do that well. Glad you enjoyed the review. I know you will enjoy your cruise on Carnival. We had held off sailing on Carnival for years, but were delightfully surprised by our experience - as I know you will be also.

Jack

I was actually very happy with my Flyers...they made the playoffs when all forecasts had them fighting with the Sabres for last place. It was a very pleasant surprise , as I am sure our Carnival cruise will be!