Amsterdam rooms - help

RMLincoln

It's under the galley, but the very end of the galley. I don't know what goes on in that area, if it's storage or if people walk there.

The galley starts at the mid-ship doorway, and heads back to the aft staircase.

Thanks Ruth. Always appreciate you. These rooms are the second and third rooms aft of the staircase on the starboard side, just aft of the midship elevator, so I'm thinking probably not worth the risk.

A Category F room is only $150pp more and the peace of mind and I'm thinking that is worth the extra. The next question is whether or not the category F-OV is worth the $520 over the category M-Inside across the hall :) But only we can answer that one.

Hmmmmm. 48 days.... window would be nice!

How noisy is the aft F location going to be? Engines, Thrusters, ... decisions and trade-offs! OIY! m--

Maureen

You really have to think about this!

The aft Fs might give you some noise from the wash of the azipods. We've heard and felt a bit in this location.

The Hs you are considering should be OK even though under a small part of the Kitchen. The real area to avoid is port forward of the aft elevators!

For 48 days you probably would appreciate a good window, so $150 more over the H is an easy decision. Just don't think about the $520!

Hope you let us know what you choose!

Booked it today! Chose the full window room, Cat F, low and aft, #1925.

This room has a full size couch instead of the loveseat that the H rooms have. We like the lower decks for stability and the view is so much better than looking out across the promenade deck, plus we expect it to be quieter than on Lower Promenade, not only potentially from the kitchen above but also from the inevitable workers on the deck working on cleaning the deck daily and maintaining paint and lifeboats. Of course I have enjoyed the proximity of an H to the promenade deck before but this way I will get my exercise. :) On for 48 days I'll really need it!

We booked through our HAL PCC. We didn't take the Anniversary Sale rates which, for this room category, had a mark up of $970 to receive $650 in benefits and lower deposit, but we had to pay a large deposit for the lower fare. For this cruise the date to cancel without penalty is 120 days out, and the final payment date is 90 days out, so the large deposit is hanging out there for an extra 30 days from June 1 to July 1 (sail date is Sept 30, Tales of the South Pacific). The refund schedule after final payment is 60% from final payment date until 75 days out when it becomes 100%:eek:, and we will look at adding insurance which is based on total cost so will be slightly less with the lower fare compared to the higher fare which included the perks.

This is our most expensive cruise yet so it's all sinking in slowly. Lots of work to do between now and then to get our house remodel projects to a stopping point by the end of September, what a great motivator!

Thanks for the support through this, m--

Great!

I think 1925 will be prove to be a good choice! Is this the South Pacific cruise?

Yes, I think they call it Tales of the South Pacific. We did a crossing a couple of years ago, LA to Sydney, 21 days; then after visiting a bit of Australia for 6 weeks (it's a BIG country), a cruise to NZ and 4 weeks there, we flew to Tahiti and spent some time cruising back east through the Society Islands and Hawaii... flew home. DH does not like to fly more than 5 hours! (Also gets sea sick.) It's difficult to get to Australia and the South Pacific within that constraint, but it made for a wonderful experience, albeit a l-o-n-g... 16 weeks.

So now we'll get to go back to so many of the beautiful islands, plus several new places, all from one ship! Would love to do it in a Verandah room but they are now twice the price, not that much less than a world cruise! So we will be very happy to be on-board and enjoy our F category!

I think this is a popular itinerary so I doubt we will be getting any upsell offers but to be on board will be good!.... if fact it'll be great! :D

And we will make 4 Star Mariner level on this cruise, well for next time. Not a big deal, just a bit of icing on the cake. So excited!!!! And so much to do first.... m--

Yes, I think they call it Tales of the South Pacific. We did a crossing a couple of years ago, LA to Sydney, 21 days; then after visiting a bit of Australia for 6 weeks (it's a BIG country), a cruise to NZ and 4 weeks there, we flew to Tahiti and spent some time cruising back east through the Society Islands and Hawaii... flew home. DH does not like to fly more than 5 hours! (Also gets sea sick.) It's difficult to get to Australia and the South Pacific within that constraint, but it made for a wonderful experience, albeit a l-o-n-g... 16 weeks.

So now we'll get to go back to so many of the beautiful islands, plus several new places, all from one ship! Would love to do it in a Verandah room but they are now twice the price, not that much less than a world cruise! So we will be very happy to be on-board and enjoy our F category!

I think this is a popular itinerary so I doubt we will be getting any upsell offers but to be on board will be good!.... if fact it'll be great! :D

And we will make 4 Star Mariner level on this cruise, well for next time. Not a big deal, just a bit of icing on the cake. So excited!!!! And so much to do first.... m--

Maureen

You have it all figured out! I can't even begin to imagine all that flying.

This cruise is very good way to see it all. We've done the regular HAL Tahiti cruise several times and have been to the "extra" ports on yours, too. I like the length of this one, though.

Nice to hit 4 stars: great incentive to book another cruise quickly.

You should watch the pricing as it will likely come down a bit. (Then you can bargain for some OBC!) I've seen it decrease by only a couple of hundred at this point. As you say, a popular cruise, but the length is one that will show some cancellations and second thoughts.

Enjoy your pre-cruise planning! Hope you will keep us up to date about possible upsells!

Maureen

You should watch the pricing as it will likely come down a bit. (Then you can bargain for some OBC!) I've seen it decrease by only a couple of hundred at this point. As you say, a popular cruise, but the length is one that will show some cancellations and second thoughts.

Enjoy your pre-cruise planning! Hope you will keep us up to date about possible upsells!

Will watch for upsells, but I will admit that I'm not very hopeful, maybe to a better OV location could be possible. Good point you make about possible cancellations due to length, sure hope it won't have to be us!

Penalty period comes soon at 120 days out, so we should know about some price adjustments in June. Last time we tried to get OBC for price drops we were told by our PCC that HAL doesn't do that as much anymore, but we got a lovely balcony upsell from large inside to VH guar (assigned a VE) for only $85pp on a 12 night eastern Med. But I will post what happens. You know I'll be watching!! m--

Booked it today! Chose the full window room, Cat F, low and aft, #1925.

I'm happy you found something you can be happy with. After all, it's a long cruise, so it's important to have a "home" you like.

I'm happy you found something you can be happy with. After all, it's a long cruise, so it's important to have a "home" you like.

Thank you Ruth! Now I have a lot of homework to do. We very much enjoyed the SP islands in 2013/2014, they are like no place else and it's very exciting to be able to go back, and in comfort on Amsterdam. She's just right!

No cabin is perfect but I'm sure we'll be fine, I have great confidence. But I understand that Barry from Boston won't be aboard, he'll be on Voyage of the Vikings, which is on my bucket list, maybe someday. One dream at time works for me! My motto: It's hard to have a bad day on a cruise ship! m--

OIY, Just had to change the room, the PCC called to say that the room he/we selected is not available for this segment! Really? He said he had to check 5 places because of all the ways this cruise is being sold... from Vancouver, from Seattle, as a Coastal, and the 48 day... that's only 4 ways, but whatever, so he apologized but we had to get something else. So now we have 1932, looks like it's across from a stewards pantry, not what I wanted. So we'll watch for an opportunity to upgrade. sigh.

So back to the above... no room is perfect, and it's hard to have a bad day on a cruise ship! m--

This looks fine to me.

If you are across from the stewards pantry, it will get you a lot more attention and faster make up of the cabin!

We've been close to the pantry several times and really appreciated the location. On a long cruise this is really good because they do need to get to know your likes and dislikes and you would be right under their nose, not miles down the hall!