Gaudi - La Pedrera and Park Guell Questions

How much time would you say you need at La Pedrera and Park Guell?

Should we be buying tickets in advance and is there a good time of day or night to go?

Would love to hear your experiences at each.

We already have tickets for Sagrada Familia as well as the tower.

Are there other Gaudi attractions that are a must see?

Probably the number one is Sagrada Familia. This was his final and ultimate project to which he dedicated the largest portion of his life. It is still under construction with a hoped for completion in 2026. Like many visitors to Barca I will visit it again this spring if only to see how far the work has progressed.

This may be the last great church the world sees built.

Like many visitors to Barca I will visit it again this spring if only to see how far the work has progressed.

Don't let the locals hear you calling their city Barca lol! Barca is only used for the Football Team - the city is just Barcelona.

FYI if you decided to do the HOHO bus to Park Guell, it leaves you at the bottom of a very steep hill that is about 3 blocks long.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So would we be better off taking a taxi from another HOHO spot? If we go from the Park directly to the port, are there taxis nearby?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Taxi would eliminate walking up the hill. Recommend stating at the park with a timed ticket and then doing other things as time allows. There are taxis at the park that could take you to La Ped. If you have never been to Barcelona recommend putting Sagrada Familia on your list. Figure on an hour at La Pedera, 90 minutes at the park and two hours at Sagrada Familia to explore both inside and out.

FYI if you decided to do the HOHO bus to Park Guell, it leaves you at the bottom of a very steep hill that is about 3 blocks long.

Yes but it is not impossible by any means. Those with mobility issues or health problems may have some difficulty but otherwise it is well worth the little walk. :)

Take the metro to the stop nearest Parc Guell. Its at the bottom of a huge hill, but there are escalators to take you to the top.

You can the walk through the park and its all downhill to the entrance!

We just came back from Barcelona and visited la Sagrada Familia and took many pictures of the outside of La Pedrera. My husband has some problems walking long distances and for that reason we did not attempt Parc Guell and the steep climb.

We are looking at a return visit. If we go, perhaps we could take a cab to the Parc with a timed ticket. My question is will there be cabs available to take us back down and perhaps on to another site?

Pat

We just came back from Barcelona and visited la Sagrada Familia and took many pictures of the outside of La Pedrera. My husband has some problems walking long distances and for that reason we did not attempt Parc Guell and the steep climb.

We are looking at a return visit. If we go, perhaps we could take a cab to the Parc with a timed ticket. My question is will there be cabs available to take us back down and perhaps on to another site?

Pat

I found these instructions posted on the internet and this is what we will do:

Take the metro to Lesseps station, then walk on the main road (Travessera de Dalt) and keep on the look out for signs for a LEFT turn, towards the Park, as that route has escalators to go up. The main route doesn't, and most tourists struggle with the steep walk up. You will come to the side entrance, which is better as you can avoid the swarm of people at the main entrance.

Another Poster Suggested an Alternative:

Best way is definitely backwards - i.e. go to Vallcarca, and take the escalators up to the back of the park. You start with the best view and then assure yourself of seeing (almost) the whole park, and effectively save the best till last. It's much easier walking downhill than arriving at the gates.

I also found instructions for a new and "secret route to Parc Guell" that sounds complicated but intriguing: http://blog.orangemonkeytours.com/en/2011/02/15/wat-is-de-beste-route-naar-park-guell/

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't visit La Pedrera. For the Parc Guell monumental area (the part you need tickets for), you can do a lighting quick run in under an hour, but to enjoy it you'll need 1 1/2 to 2 hours. More if you want to see the upper park or the Gaudi house museum.

Unless you visiting P.G. at opening time, you'll need tickets. The website shows how many tickets are available for each time slot. We bought ours the night before because the 9 am slot was starting to fill up. We were there late April and morning seemed to be a good time. The light was very good. We visited the park on Sunday morning before boarding our ship, so we took a taxi each way to save time. After seeing the climb to the park I'm glad we did the taxi.

Instead of La Pedrera, we went to Casa Batllo. An amazing place. Outside is richly detailed. Most of the building is available to wander through. They give you a smartphone audio guide, and if you hold it up around the room it shows you how it looked with the original intended furnishing. The rest of the block is also interesting. We had 9:30 am tickets, so the crowds weren't bad. Spent over an hour there. The building faces east, so it is best to see the outside in the morning.

Our pre-cruise apartment was a half block from the S.F. Our balcony looked out at the Passion facade. Spent a lot of time taking pictures of the outside, in all kinds of weather and all hours of the day (and night). Sat and ate our breakfast in the park in front of it twice. We had 9 am tickets to go inside, which was good since we avoided the big crowds that start around 10:30 or so. It was also the only really rainy day of our whole trip, so the towers were closed. Inside was beautiful. We did the self-guided visit with the audio guide (well worth the extra). The crypt is worth a visit, but has limited hours.

http://www.spainisculture.com/en/monumentos/barcelona/cripta_de_la_basilica_de_la_sagrada_familia.html

Other Gaudi, attractions

Casa Vicens

Casa Calvet

Palau Guell

Bellesgarde

How much time would you say you need at La Pedrera and Park Guell?

Should we be buying tickets in advance and is there a good time of day or night to go?

Would love to hear your experiences at each.

We already have tickets for Sagrada Familia as well as the tower.

Are there other Gaudi attractions that are a must see?