Sorrento or Capri?

hexdragon

Some people have done both in a day, but honestly (given the amount of time spent going from one place to another), I'd suggest you just pick one. The high speed ferries from Naples to Capri take about 45 minutes. From Capri to Sorrento, about 25 minutes. And from Sorrento to Naples, about 40 minutes. Plus you have to plan around the specific times of the ferry schedules.

Of the two, I think Capri has more to offer. See here for some ideas: http://www.capri.com/en/what-to-see

I agree, of the two I'd go with Capri every time. Sorrento is perfectly pleasant but there's not much "there" there, if you know what I mean. It's a lovely and largely British resort community.

Capri offers the same resort qualities but on a larger scale. In addition Capri has interesting history to explore (Villa Jovis), gardens, the chair lift up Monte Solaro, and the Blue Grotto, among much else.

As other posts, Capri rather than Sorrento.

Spectacular elevated views, lots to see.

Sorrento is very pleasant, but quite limited.

(take your own camping stove, kettle, cups & coffee - Capri is quite expensive :D)

JB :)

I like Sorrento but that is for having lunch there and shopping. But that is when we stop there and even when we stop there we also do other things such as the Amalfi Coast.

If I was in Naples I would most definitely do Capri or a variety of other things such as Pompeii or even Naples itself over Sorrento.

Keith

Capri it is!!! :)

I love taking transatlantics starting or ending in Italy. Spending time pre or post cruise here is so much better than stopping at a port for a day. Of course it depends on how much time you have!

I am in the middle of a 17 night post cruise stay in Sorrento and it's worth a visit. I know 17 nights is long but I am doing some other things besides being a tourist. This is a great place to stay and see many sights, towns and islands. People are friendly, non tourist traps are easy to find and the weather is great if not in the summer. (TOO HOT). Did I mention fantastic gelato?

Ok now that it is pretty settled Capri over Sorrento, can you do both Capri and the Amalfi coast? We are docking in Amalfi, not Naples.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Probably, depending on your date & your hours in port and with a very careful bit of timetabling of ferries & buses.

For instance (errors & omissions excepted)....

8.55am ferry Amalfi to Capri arrives 9.55am

1.00pm ferry Capri to Sorrento arrives 1.20pm

2.45pm bus Sorrento to Amalfi arrives 4.15pm (take the bus from its terminus at Sorrento rail station rather than a bus stop en-route because buses often depart full.)

The other way round - bus to Sorrento, ferry to Capri, ferry to Amalfi - would be better because Sorrento shops have an afternoon siesta and because buses can be full and can get screwed-up in traffic But a glance at timetables didn't show a suitably-timed ferry Capri to Amalfi in the afternoon.

But worth carefully checking the bus & ferry sites

http://www.directferries.co.uk/amalfi_capri_ferry.htm?gclid=CO_v5sz8ucwCFUeeGwodHU4Mig

(this is a consolidator's website, but easier to read than the operators' websites)

http://www.theamalficoast.net/timetables_orari/SITA+Amalfi-Salerno+Amalfi-Sorrento.pdf

twin 123185 appears to be the friend you need for the next week or so ;)

Or consider giving Sorrento a miss. And perhaps if timetabling permits, stopping off at Positano.

IMHO .......... The ferry ride gives you the better view of the coast. The bus gives you a different perspective but you really need to be on the coast side of the bus, and the elevated views on Capri beat the elevated views on the Amalfi coastal road.

We've done all of these things, but not within the confines of a port=of-call day. You'll need to be careful that you don't strand yourselves ;)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Some people have done both in a day, but honestly (given the amount of time spent going from one place to another), I'd suggest you just pick one. The high speed ferries from Naples to Capri take about 45 minutes. From Capri to Sorrento, about 25 minutes. And from Sorrento to Naples, about 40 minutes. Plus you have to plan around the specific times of the ferry schedules.

Of the two, I think Capri has more to offer. See here for some ideas: http://www.capri.com/en/what-to-see

I echo this recommendation and would spend my time in Capri, otherwise on the Amalfi coast but not only in Sorrento :)

Ok now that it is pretty settled Capri over Sorrento, can you do both Capri and the Amalfi coast? We are docking in Amalfi, not Naples.

While it's not logistically impossible, I feel you'd be much better off just focusing on the Amalfi Coast, since you are already in Amalfi.

If you try to add Capri, you're going to end up with a day that has a whole lot of logistics and not a whole lot of time to enjoy what you're seeing.