Magic or Oasis both in PC, which to choose?

NOSaints1

They are both very nice ships. You would have a great time on either one. We are in mid sixties and don't use all the extras that both offer, but have more than enough to do. I don't know why some people have to knock one ship to make another seem better.

I just hate that Carnival doesn't have a lot of restaurants

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Will you elaborate on this? I've been on the Glory and I agree with you about the lack of restaurants. But we're booked on the Vista and we're planning on the Chef's Table, the steakhouse and the Italian restaurant. The Vista also has a sushi bar and an Asian restaurant.

Based on Carnival's website regarding restaurants on the Vista, I would say it's comparable to the Oasis fleet.

Sorry what I mean is when you look at some restaurants on Carnival ships that some food places weren't always open and that there's not a lot of variety compared to Oasis, the other ship I would love to go on but for the price and the ports aren't exciting is the Anthem but at 1600 for an interior.

All that planning way in advance if you want to see a show or attend something. To me it's not cruising but more like a Disney trip.

Don't believe this. I sailed Allure without making a single reservation and was able to see every show. I didn't stand in line more then a couple of minutes and sat with my wife at each show. Show up 10 minutes before showtime. They will already be seating stand by guests. Get in line then and you will more than likely get into the show. In full disclosure, we didn't make it into the ice show first try, but walked to the comedy club line next door and got right in.

I never knew that Disney required reservations for its attractions. Strange comparison.

Don't believe this. I sailed Allure without making a single reservation and was able to see every show. I didn't stand in line more then a couple of minutes and sat with my wife at each show. Show up 10 minutes before showtime. They will already be seating stand by guests. Get in line then and you will more than likely get into the show. In full disclosure, we didn't make it into the ice show first try, but walked to the comedy club line next door and got right in.

I never knew that Disney required reservations for its attractions. Strange comparison.

You can believe it or not, but it is true. 3 to 4

Months out to make reservations for shows. It is a fact, not only that but the poor schleps who did not do it had to wait in a standby line., maybe sitting together and maybe not. Maybe getting in and maybe not sounds like fun to me ......Not my idea of fun cruising. Better do more more research on Disney to. Do you get around much? If you want a Disney dinner you make it in advance, way in advance. Sounds like an accurate assessment to me. I don't even have to get to the amusement park comparison.

With both of them both being in PC, is the Magic as good as the Oasis? Thing with the Oasis it has more restaurants, Central Park, the boardwalk Aqua theatre. Yes the intenarys aren't the greatest but your not going for the ports your going for the ship.

So with both of them being in PC, is the Magic as good as the Oasis can it measure up and which one would you rather go on. We've been on the Breeze, Valor and Conquest and going on our first RC next April out of Baltimore. So will these choices be an easy one for you to decide. If it was me I would do Oasis for the ship and Magic for the ports.

That's an easy one OASIS!!!

Sorry what I mean is when you look at some restaurants on Carnival ships that some food places weren't always open and that there's not a lot of variety compared to Oasis, the other ship I would love to go on but for the price and the ports aren't exciting is the Anthem but at 1600 for an interior.

Not to mention that these mammoth ships can only go to certain ports and no tender ports.

Went on the Allure and like you, I never had a reservation to see the shows. I simply showed up. Honestly, that reservation system is a waste of time. There are enough showtimes throughout the week that everyone can see them. It's a matter of flexibility. I think it was implemented to appease the type-A personalities types who must have a sheet of paper telling them when to be there.

As for Disney, the only attraction I recall that had reservations was Toy Story Midway Mania. That was years ago and don't know if it's still applicable.

I would love a back to back..one on each..lol..,,,,they are each larger...and would offer ease and fun to me in different arenas...I think there are some fair comparisons here. From folks who like both and have lots of experience.

Edited by sjn911

Went on the Allure and like you, I never had a reservation to see the shows. I simply showed up. Honestly, that reservation system is a waste of time. There are enough showtimes throughout the week that everyone can see them. It's a matter of flexibility. I think it was implemented to appease the type-A personalities types who must have a sheet of paper telling them when to be there.

As for Disney, the only attraction I recall that had reservations was Toy Story Midway Mania. That was years ago and don't know if it's still applicable.

How about dinners at Disney? How about fast pass vs walk ups for rides? Point is there is 6400 people and two off Broadway musicals you do the math.

My point is that a cruise on allure or oasis is more like these types of vacation, it's like an event vs a relaxing cruise. Since I am now a type a according to you tho and I have saved the therapist fees, we can move on.

Is there anything good about the Magic that anyone would want to book the Magic?

Yes. Cove Balconies. But If I could get any seaward facing balcony for close to the same price on Oasis, Oasis would be my choice. (Done both).

Since we're going on a RC next year, is it better to book onboard or another RC cruise before?

Yes, the OBC deals are hard to beat and you can still transfer to a TA if you want once you are home.

How about dinners at Disney? How about fast pass vs walk ups for rides? Point is there is 6400 people and two off Broadway musicals you do the math.

My point is that a cruise on allure or oasis is more like these types of vacation, it's like an event vs a relaxing cruise. Since I am now a type a according to you tho and I have saved the therapist fees, we can move on.

We were very nervous about the show booking times too, especially since we went at the last minute during prime time. We stay away from NCL because it seems like too much work to plan dining and shows.

But on Oasis, there are multiple showings and we got decent seats to all the shows at the times we wanted. Had to go standby for the water show, but seats were still very good despite one showing being rained out. The other thing that was nice was having the option to see a matinee of up in the air after missing our reserved time because we could not tear ourselves off our balcony when leaving Cozumel.

You wonder why Carnival never thought of something like the Oasis

It's not just that the ship is huge with so much to do. The execution and attention to detail on every square foot of the ship is truly astonishing.

Go for the Oasis. It's an experience in itself. One thing i will say, when we were on the Oasis, it never felt crowded. We ALWAYS were able to find a chair on deck. I had had preconceived notions that with that many people on the ship, it would feel crowded. But it didn't in the least. You will have fun with either cruise, but if you have a chance to sail on the Oasis/Allure...do it.

You wonder why Carnival never thought of something like the Oasis

My take on this. When I'm on a ship, I want to feel like I am on a ship. Not in central park, not at an amusment park, or dining in 25 different restaurants. I can do those kind of things when I am at home or on a land based vacation. We cruise for the love of the sea, the feeling of freedom and disconnect from civilization. We cruise for the sake of cruising. So, we would choose Magic because it meets our needs.

Pat

You can believe it or not, but it is true. 3 to 4

Months out to make reservations for shows. It is a fact, not only that but the poor schleps who did not do it had to wait in a standby line., maybe sitting together and maybe not. Maybe getting in and maybe not sounds like fun to me ......Not my idea of fun cruising. Better do more more research on Disney to. Do you get around much? If you want a Disney dinner you make it in advance, way in advance. Sounds like an accurate assessment to me. I don't even have to get to the amusement park comparison.

Did you even read my post? I didn't stand in line. I relaxed in a lounge until 10 min. before showtime and then walked to the almost empty stand-by line. Only once didn't I make a show the first attempt and even then was able to walk 20 ft. to the comedy club. I sat with my wife at every show. So it is not a FACT as you put it that you need to make reservations. It is an option. And I believe options are good.

As for Disney, I've been there. Never went hungry. Never made any reservations for anything. Never equated restaurants with attractions or shows. Two different entities. It has been a while since I cruised on Carnival but I'm pretty sure can't just walk up to the steakhouse and be sure of being seated.

On Allure I only made reservations for Aqua Show (first night) and Comedy Club (small venue). Made reservations for my time dining but would have been better without them. Did not make reservations for any main shows and got in with no trouble. Reservations are NOT a must on these ships. I think it just helps them move the crowds around. The Oasis-Class is an experience all by itself. You may love it, you may not, but you probably won't have buyers remorse. No one has any ships like it.