Magic or Oasis both in PC, which to choose?

NOSaints1

We were booked on Grandeur but cancelled it and are booking Carnival because you can't get cruise insurance through RC unless your a US citizen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There are many outside companies you can use.

We were booked on Grandeur but cancelled it and are booking Carnival because you can't get cruise insurance through RC unless your a US citizen.

Why would you get inferior insurance through the cruise line?:confused:

This is the first time in all the years I've been on CC that I have seen a cruise decided by insurance.

Bill

Which terminal does each one use and which is better for embarkation/debarkation

I don't know if this was answered already, but I don't want to go through all the posts, so if a repeat, I'm sorry.

Oasis will use the new terminal. We've been through it twice now, and it was easy peasy for embark/disembark.

Magic will use the terminal that Dream/Sunshine used. Again, very nice and easy. Bottom line, Port Canaveral knows what they are doing!

And I would choose Oasis over any Carnival ship. Entertainment is so much better! Carnival has really dropped the ball when it comes to entertainment, and is one of the biggest reasons we rarely cruise with them anymore.

I have been on both of these ships within the past year. Oasis feels like being in a large amusement park and the specialty restaurants are great and the shows are spectacular. Magic is smaller and has less to offer, but it is still a nice ship. It is less expensive but not in the same league as Oasis. Oasis and Allure's direct competitors are NCL Getaway, Escape and Breakaway.

On Magic, the best meal on the ship is the chef's table followed by the steakhouse, which is excellent - plan to go at least twice - but you will need reservations. Cucina del Capitano is OK - not great, but a change from MDR. The Magic spa is nice, but not comparable with the spa's on the NCL ships I've mentioned above. The Magic waterpark is nice and there is movies under the stars. The shows are meh...mostly they rely on comedians and then a few high school quality production shows. I think the main area in which Carnival beats RCCL is in the buffet which has lots of different stations and is much better than the RCCL buffet. But then on Oasis, there are many other dining venues instead of just the buffet.

I disagree that Magic's Serenity is better than the Solarium on Oasis. Serenity has a hot tub, no pools. Solarium is roughly three times as big and has multiple hot tubs and pools plus a restaurant and bar.

Spa thermal suite is better on Magic than Oasis.

Specialty restaurants on Oasis is better than Magic.

Chef's table is better on Magic than Oasis.

Shows are better on Oasis than Magic.

There is more live music on Oasis.

There are more activities on Oasis.

Cabins are slightly nicer on Oasis. There is a glass enclosed shower instead of the shower curtain on Magic.

So, really it is about if you want spectacular entertainment and tons to do (Oasis) or if you just want a nice cruise that is less expensive (Magic).

I would suggest you try the Oasis. It is an amazing cruise ship and the entertainment was fantastic. Since you stated you are going for the ship more than the ports.

I found after riding on the Oasis I prefer the smaller ships. I missed seeing the ocean. That sounds funny but some times you really had to look for it on the Oasis. Felt like I was in a mall most of the time.

Looking forward to the Magic. Enjoy the lanai deck. Had a blast on the Breeze so I am giving Magic a try.

Enjoy either cruise you choose. Never met a cruise I did not find something I liked!!!;)

Thing with the Oasis it has more restaurants,

The Magic has by far the most included/free dining locations and options.

Many RCCL venues are paid.

Eg. Guy's Burgers vs. Johnny Rockets, Blue Iguana vs. Sabor, Cucina Del Capitano (free for lunch only) vs. Giovanni's Table.

The Magic also has the new Guy's BBQ, as well as the Indian Tandoor and the Mongolian Wok!

I just hate that Carnival doesn't have a lot of restaurants

I find that the opposite is true!

All of the above are free/included

This is one area that I feel CCL is better than RCCL.

Of course, if you have never been on the Oasis class ships, then it is a must do; at least once.

But foodwise, I would prefer Magic over Oasis.

Edited by hirent

Eg. Guy's Burgers vs. Johnny Rockets, Blue Iguana vs. Sabor, Cucina Del Capitano (free for lunch only) vs. Giovanni's Table.

The Magic also has the new Guy's BBQ, as well as the Indian Tandoor and the Mongolian Wok!

I find that the opposite is true!

All of the above are free/included

This is one area that I feel CCL is better than RCCL.

Of course, if you have never been on the Oasis class ships, then it is a must do; at least once.

But foodwise, I would prefer Magic over Oasis.

All true, careful some of the loyal royals will tell you that JR does not cost but that they charge a "seating charge" talk about a line of BS. And it follows all the way down to charging 3.50 for a tiny bag of popcorn.

you seem to be in the minority even on the Carnival board

Did not realize we are in a contest? Are we? I think I am correct in the limitations of where they can sail. Is that a popularity item? Do others think differently?

Edited by jimbo5544

We don't like all the added expense to eat, we like simplicity.

I have never paid a dime to eat on Oasis or Allure. The pay restaurants are above and beyond the free restaurants. There are just more choices.

But what do I know? I'm just a stupid American as you say

My take on this. When I'm on a ship, I want to feel like I am on a ship. Not in central park, not at an amusment park, or dining in 25 different restaurants. I can do those kind of things when I am at home or on a land based vacation. We cruise for the love of the sea, the feeling of freedom and disconnect from civilization. We cruise for the sake of cruising. So, we would choose Magic because it meets our needs.

Pat

We've been on Oasis once and then the Breeze twice. I agree with the lack of ocean views from many parts of the Oasis--which I missed. Thank goodness for our ocean-view balcony. That being said, the Oasis was a marvel, and I'm really glad we did that cruise. The entertainment was outstanding, and the organization, how streamlined everything was (a necessity with that many guests) was fantastic, especially embarkation and debarkation--they really have their stuff together. Imagine a debarkation process without all of those announcements and barking and pushing and shoving. We were impressed. Still, I thought the main dining room food was better on the Breeze (and most Carnival ships we've sailed), and, again, we enjoy the ocean views and feeling of being on a cruise.

Oh, and even though I'm a type-A planner, doing all of those prearranged reservations for Oasis were a bit overwhelming for a first timer. Now that I know the ropes, though, it's not that big of a deal.

Speaking of reservations, we had a hard time with the dining reservations on Oasis, in that we thought the time we selected was our "dining time," but it turned out it was just a time to go stand in line for dinner (there were two lines--one for those with reservations and one for those without). We found that very annoying and ended up just going to stand in line for dinner earlier--so we could actually be at a table at the time we had pre-selected. I've heard others say they didn't encounter this, but we certainly did. When you have pre-selected show times for after dinner, you don't have time to stand in line for 45 minutes for dinner. I might have expected that if we didn't make reservations...

We're sailing the Magic next--although the price difference wasn't all that much between it and the Oasis for February, DH wanted to get his platinum status on Carnival, and our grandkids really like the Breeze, so we assume they will also really like the Magic.

That being said, I would sail the Oasis again (or Allure or Harmony) without hesitation. We tend to like 8-day cruises more, and the ports for the Oasis class are not in the least exotic--but, as has been said, a ship that size is certainly limited in where it can dock.

BTW, OP, if you have been on the Breeze, you can pretty much know what the Magic is going to be like, especially since its recent dry dock.

Sort of. Really Guys, Blue Iguana, Tandoor and the Mongolian Wok are just extensions of the Buffet area. You can put a separate name on it, and try to make it sound like a separate dining area, but really that's what they are. None of them are sit-down restaurants like the others, where you get a full menu versus a couple of items. You basically get your food and sit in the buffet area or around the pool deck.

Sort of. Really Guys, Blue Iguana, Tandoor and the Mongolian Wok are just extensions of the Buffet area. You can put a separate name on it, and try to make it sound like a separate dining area, but really that's what they are. None of them are sit-down restaurants like the others, where you get a full menu versus a couple of items. You basically get your food and sit in the buffet area or around the pool deck.

You realize it's heresy to point that out don't you? Don't forget that these buffet areas aren't free either. You pay for them with your cruise fare, if you use them or not. Sabor, Johnny Rockets and Giavonni's are options that don't cost a penny if you don't eat there.

If someone wants to do a comparison with Guy's it should be with the Boardwalk hot dog stand. Where you can get a variaty of hot dogs and sausage.

You realize it's heresy to point that out don't you? Don't forget that these buffet areas aren't free either. You pay for them with your cruise fare, if you use them or not. Sabor, Johnny Rockets and Giavonni's are options that don't cost a penny if you don't eat there.

If someone wants to do a comparison with Guy's it should be with the Boardwalk hot dog stand. Where you can get a variaty of hot dogs and sausage.

Now that is a new one, it only costs at JR if you eat there. Lol. That is one up on it does not cost for a burger (greasy as it is) it's a seating charge.

Edited by jimbo5544

Did not realize we are in a contest? Are we? I think I am correct in the limitations of where they can sail. Is that a popularity item? Do others think differently?

Who said there was a contest?

I have no clue why the OP wants to sail only from PC

Now that is a new one, it only costs at JR if you eat there. Lol. That is one up on it does not cost for a burger (greasy as it is) it's a seating charge.

No, JR's is definitely a specaity restaurant that you don't pay for unless you eat there. And as FLSteve11 pointed out Guy's is a counter near the buffet where you can order a burger, that you've already paid for in your cruise fare. You know like the rock climbing wall and carousel that you complain about not using but still have to pay for.

Who said there was a contest?

I have no clue why the OP wants to sail only from PC

My comment was on yours saying I was in the minority on the Carnival board.

Edited by jimbo5544

No, JR's is definitely a specaity restaurant that you don't pay for unless you eat there. And as FLSteve11 pointed out Guy's is a counter near the buffet where you can order a burger, that you've already paid for in your cruise fare. You know like the rock climbing wall and carousel that you complain about not using but still have to pay for.

Specialty restaurant hahaha. I don't think anyone eats at the rock wall or merry go round. Next thing you know you are going to tell me that JR tastes better. The seats that you sit at are pretty darn close to same regardless of getting it at the counter (faster btw) or sitting down and paying for it.

My comment was on yours saying I was in the minority on the Carnival board.

As far as Oasis, you hated it before you stepped on and nothing has changed. No clue why you went

Others on the Carnival board loved Oasis

You take every opportunity to tell everyone how terrible it was

Edited by cruisinfanatic

The Magic has by far the most included/free dining locations

This is one area that I feel CCL is better than RCCL..

This is one of the things that people love to repeat here on Cruise Critic which is not quite true. Let me start by saying that it is true that Oasis does have A LOT of restaurants for a charge. That's a fact. However, with 24 different dining options, Oasis also has A LOT of restaurants that are free of charge. You can literally go the entire week without spending a dime on food on the Oasis and you'll still have plenty of places to eat, more than on the Carnival Magic.

Among the free venues on Oasis, you'll find the Windjammer Marketplace, Sorrento's, Wipeout Grill, the Park Cafe, Solarium Bistro, Cafe Promenade, the Dog House, and The Opus Dining Room. And you can always order from a much more expansive room service menu free of charge.

And while we are comparing, many of these dining options on the Oasis are actual venues, not a station that's part of a larger lido buffet like the Tandoori Grill, Mongolian Wok, or the Deli's found on Carnival ships.

With all of that said, Magic does offer plenty of free options to keep anybody satisfied. But let's be objective and not mud the facts.

Edited by Tapi