Just off Veendam; 04/09 to 04/24/16

RedneckBob

I agree that all ships have problems but what I have found is that newer ships seem to have less problems. We have been recently sailing new ships on Oceania, Celebrity and Princess and not experienced or heard of any problems; maybe just lucky.

But just got off the Veendam and even after drydock things happened; ship just getting old.

Besides cabin flooding and water shutdown for whole ship for almost 3 hours, elevators were constantly breaking down or not working properly during the entire cruise. Heard several passengers got stuck in elevator for a period of time.

Otherwise pretty good cruise :cool:

Hi, G&G

How have you been? Got a cruise lined up?

I agree and for this reason we are moving over, mostly, to the S and R class ship which we have been very happy with, to the Vista and Signature ships.

We are finding that the S and R class ship seem to be in the midst of being downgraded: food especially. Afternoon Tea is hardly worth the bother, the DR is serving up so-so quality.... On the Vista it is certainly a higher level.

Your comments on the elevators remind me of a certain condo building I know of, older but very well maintained, yet the elevators were breaking down with some frequency. Mostly door operators, infrared systems, relays: basic things that do not last forever and can be fixed with new parts and new systems.

Hope to see a review of your Veendam cruise in the near future!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Hi, G&G

How have you been? Got a cruise lined up?

I agree and for this reason we are moving over, mostly, to the S and R class ship which we have been very happy with, to the Vista and Signature ships.

We are finding that the S and R class ship seem to be in the midst of being downgraded: food especially. Afternoon Tea is hardly worth the bother, the DR is serving up so-so quality.... On the Vista it is certainly a higher level.

Your comments on the elevators remind me of a certain condo building I know of, older but very well maintained, yet the elevators were breaking down with some frequency. Mostly door operators, infrared systems, relays: basic things that do not last forever and can be fixed with new parts and new systems.

Hope to see a review of your Veendam cruise in the near future!

Hi SilvertoGold,

No cruises planned until Nov16 on the Koningsdam. No review on the Veendam. It appears Redneck Bob has already spoken and has summed it up pretty good the only way RNB can.

Rick

I agree that all ships have problems but what I have found is that newer ships seem to have less problems. We have been recently sailing new ships on Oceania, Celebrity and Princess and not experienced or heard of any problems; maybe just lucky.

But just got off the Veendam and even after drydock things happened; ship just getting old.

Besides cabin flooding and water shutdown for whole ship for almost 3 hours, elevators were constantly breaking down or not working properly during the entire cruise. Heard several passengers got stuck in elevator for a period of time.

Otherwise pretty good cruise :cool:

I don't think you are lucky. I've cruised most of the mainstream lines and from my experience hal ships seem to have more problems. I've cruise mostly older ships on other lines.

OP, I'm sorry for the problems you had. I'm on the Veendam now (boarded the 24th) and haven't had any problems or seen any. It has been a great cruise so far.

Of course things can happen on any cruise, and have for us before too on other ships.

Great News. Continue to enjoy your cruise.

I guess putting my double bubble gum in the leak in that pipe has helped :eek: !

Great News. Continue to enjoy your cruise.

I guess putting my double bubble gum in the leak in that pipe has helped :eek: !

Thanks, I will tell my daughter to be sure to pack bubble gum.

Cori

The Veendam took one hell of a pounding during the hurricane it encountered off Cape Horn in December 2010. Many of the boards on the open bow deck were overlapping when we finally limped into Ushiaia (sp.), but we were alive.

We were also on that cruise! Hubby loved the storm but the ship took quite a hit!