shipping luggage ahead

poss

I know that there are at least three different companies that do this. I'd be appreciative of hearing pros and/or cons. I know that it would be expensive, but we may need to do this; have too much trouble hauling things on our own these days.

Thank you.

While there are multiple companies offering this service most cruise lines will ask you to use their single preferred company. So you may want to also post on the cruise line board for specific experiences with your line.

There have been many "live-from"s and blogs from members who consider it essential no matter the price, especially on longer voyages when needing to pack for multiple climates. The most significant con is that you can only ship clothing and shoes--no liquids of any type no matter how small, so you may still need to fly with a checked bag for toiletries and cosmetics.

Be sure you can track your luggage on the shipping company's website. That is a very nice feature to have should something go wrong or just reassuring even if all is going according to plan.

I've done lots of this type of shipping and have not had any problems so far. But you never know, so pack your meds and essentials in your carryons and also at least 2 pair of underwear and if at all possible 1 additional outfit just in case something goofy happens and you are somehow without your luggage. It has not happened to me but the fellow in the cabin next to us on our 13 night Celebrity Eclipse Med cruise was without his luggage for the duration of the cruise and I have known others who somehow didn't get their luggage. If that happens, it is ALWAYS best to just go ahead and go to a store and buy enough essentials to get by for a few days and then wash just in case the luggage never makes it.

I just checked and luggage free charges by the pound. The US to Spain is $6.52 per pound and you would need to have it ready to ship 7 days in advance. If you had even one big bag at 50 pounds then it would be $326 to ship one way.:eek: My guess is that you would likely have more if you are traveling with a family. It is all a matter of how much it is worth to you.

I just checked and luggage free charges by the pound. The US to Spain is $6.52 per pound and you would need to have it ready to ship 7 days in advance. If you had even one big bag at 50 pounds then it would be $326 to ship one way.:eek: My guess is that you would likely have more if you are traveling with a family. It is all a matter of how much it is worth to you.

Wow, I could get a job as an international porter.

Sometimes, especially as one ages, there's not much choice about whether to pay for extra services. My husband is in his later 80's, no longer able to haul luggage around. If we don't do some of the extra-cost things, we don't travel at all.