Turkish Ports

Techno123

Glad to hear that the charm and cocooning you get on board has made things seem so much better, fudge. I hope that the honeymooners are now feeling it too. I bet the staff have been revved up to make the life on board even better than usual.

Thanks guys, a great sail away party, lets get on with it, party time and all that, the sun is blazing down, set sail for Crete, an American theme tonight in the Colonnade, a big juicy steak awaits, yum yum. :)

We do not go until September and of course we have been changed from Turkey to Greece. We are very relieved about this. We are generally of the opinion that we cannot let things stop us doing things and take the view that IS attacks can be in any European country but not a repeat at the same place. We would not go anywhere if we allowed it to spoil our lives.

However, I cannot understand people saying they would have been happy to go to the Turkish ports. The recent trouble included Marmaris as well as Istanbul and Ankara and is not the same thing at all. This is a country at war with itself. Trouble can break out at any time and if you look at the number of people from the police and armed forces who have been imprisoned, sacked or suspended from duties, who exactly would be policing any further trouble. Apart from the fact that I think more people on board will not wish to go there, can you imagine what passengers would say if anything happened and then they would blame Seabourn.

So we all just have to grin and bear it though I do feel sorry for the 14 days people. Can anyone tell me why they have dropped Limnos which is Greece?

Hi Fudge

Happy to see you are settling into life onboard and hope you enjoy your steak!

I'm not sure if you'll remember us but Mark & I were next door to you on Silversea Expedition to Antarctica in Jan' 13 and shared your DW's special birthday and dinner with the Captain with you. I like you didn't sign up for an all Greek itinerary or a sea day but I remember you as a fun guy so I'm sure you'll make the most of it! I remember you stayed in the Turkish north of Cyprus then so have you now moved to the Greek side from your earlier comments? I hope you keep us updated with your trip. Our luggage tags etc arrived today so the excitement is building and I'm looking forward to sail away cocktails.

Edited by maddie2312

Hi Fudge

Happy to see you are settling into life onboard and hope you enjoy your steak!

I'm not sure if you'll remember us but Mark & I were next door to you on Silversea Expedition to Antarctica in Jan' 13 and shared your DW's special birthday and dinner with the Captain with you. I like you didn't sign up for an all Greek itinerary or a sea day but I remember you as a fun guy so I'm sure you'll make the most of it! I remember you stayed in the Turkish north of Cyprus then so have you now moved to the Greek side from your earlier comments? I hope you keep us updated with your trip. Our luggage tags etc arrived today so the excitement is building and I'm looking forward to sail away cocktails.

Hi guys.

Of course we remember you; we hope you are both well that Antarctic experience will always stay with us.

We arrived at Agios Nickolaos (Crete) unfortunately it being a Sunday most of the shops were closed apart from the usual bars, restaurants and tourist shops. A nice little town however for a short walk.

What is different on this cruise it is now a “quiet” ship with no on board announcements, it up to the passengers to read the daily herald to find out what is happening during the day? Even the usual “good morning we are at Crete, you can disembark on deck 3 Etc has gone”.

It’s our first formal night tonight, in the past the Captain and the crew were introduced before the dinner in the theatre, now it’s been put back to 21.45 after dinner, very strange. On a positive note the crew are as a tentative as ever, we are never short of a drink!!!

Rols,

Ii have to say your attitude is refreshing. You expressed your well justified disappointment at the changed itinerary but ended with an upbeat note that you will make the best of it -- lemonade out of lemons! Bravo and happy cruise to you.

I do get a bit tired of those constantly looking for more and more compensation for every little thing.I somehow feel that no matter what Seabourn did for them they would feel they were entitled to more.

And as Fudge is noting now that he is on board the Seabourn crew will go out of their way to make you somehow forget that the itinerary is less than ideal. Of course a glass or two of champagne doesn't hurt either!

DB85, I am not sure why you think the crew would apologize for the itinerary change.? And as to them being aware of the change -- of course they are aware of the changes. Many of them no doubt have been scrambling behind the scenes to make the necessary adjustments whether it is provisioning, , port security, tours, etc. I know being your honeymoon you wanted everything to be perfect and the changes have disappointed you. All I can say is that once you are on board the crew will do their darnedest to make you happy and I suspect you will very quickly find your honeymoon will be filled with good memories you will cherish forever.

This week it is definitely a very young and multicultural set of customers. - I am no longer the whipper snapper :D however, as always, the crew are working hard to make sure everyone is as happy as possible and the Greek gods are smiling on us with the weather.

We're booked on a 14-day voyage in the Eastern Med. Immediately after taking our final payment for the original fare, Seabourn changed the itinerary : we're now visiting multiple ports twice in 14 days, and have two idle days at sea vs. the original itinerary of 13 unique ports and no sea days, and a port call in Myrina was axed without explanation.

The fares for the two 7-day "segments" were drastically reduced to account for the itinerary changes - ours wasn't. We're now paying more for 14 days than the combined fares for the vitiated 7-day segments vs. the customary 20% discount for consecutive voyages. (Discount should be >20% because the second 7-day segment is largely duplicative.)

No option of a refund; no fare reduction; nothing else. The "security" situation in Turkey is beyond Seabourn's control - the price-gouging isn't. Great ships; great service; prior voyages splendid ... but this is not in keeping with an ultra-luxe line.

Agree 100%. We are in the exact same position and are very disappointed by Seabourn's blanket refusal to even consider any further options for those of us on a 14 night cruise. We would never be considering doing this itinerany if it was offered ( as I am sure most people wouldn't) as it really is going round the Med in circles which is not what we have saved up and paid a lot of money for.

I completely understand why Seabourn have done this due to the safety concerns ( although here in the UK the government advice says it is still safe to travel to the Turkish holiday resorts!) but as an operator of the status of Seabourn I would expect better customer service. As far as I know other cruise lines are allowing customers to cancel and rebook an alternative cruise so I would expect Seabourn to at least offer to do this.

I am in the process of checking with ABTA what are situation is so will update if I hear anything.

We scheduled our first Seabourn cruise for 14 days on the Odyssey leaving September 24. As many have already stated, our itinerary has changed and we are not going to Tutkey at all, which is why I selected this particular cruise. We have never done the Greek Islea at all and I am hoping that the changes in itinerary will not change our experience too much. I am looking for other passengers on that cruise who may want to share some shore excursions with us. .We are an active couple aged 70. We have received only a $300 on board credit for the changes.Have others been able to get other concessions? It does seem we are paying an outrageous amount and now getting far less. The changes have created havoc for us in rearranging flights, hotels pre and post cruise,etc. ...very frustrating.

Any help from experienced Seabourn guests? Also, please connect with me if you are on any part of that September 24 Odyssey cruise

It is understandable the some are disappointed that the Turkish ports have been cancelled but safety comes first. I am sure Seabourn are also disappointed as there costs have rocketed with paying compensation for additional travel expenses , giving on board credit and I am sure having to pay extra port duties for late changes :D

I have to agree with dalliowner, although it is easier for me to say not being personally affected.

I felt Seabourn came a bit later than other lines on changing itineraries, and possibly could not get into the nicer ports as they were already booked up? Also agree that they must have incurred quite a lot of extra costs. I hope that staff on board are allowed to a little bit extra here and there to assuage feelings - including some 'freebies' one would not normally expect.

Absolutely, I think if they hadn't pulled out of Turkey there would be far more cruisers concerned about safety than ones still wanting to visit. As i had said before SB are damned if they do,damned if they don't.

They can't win on this one. To illustrate this Azamara still havent pulled out of Turkey, and there is uproar on their forum because of this. People are really frightened for their safety, so whilst it is annoying to some, others will be more than happy.

Odyssey update:

Today we arrived at the lovely town of Mykonos, Greece. A charming town only less than 10 minutes on the shuttle bus from the ship. Very clean, very swish with lots, and I mean lots of very expensive designer shops, gentlemen be aware do NOT take your credit cards with you!

Our sixth day on board and the crew have been great, as you probably all know you do not want for anything on board. Tonight we have the officers on deck event, followed by a “rock the boat toga dance party” something to look forward to. The sun is still shining, the drinks are flowing what is not to like?

Odyssey update:

Today we arrived at the lovely town of Mykonos, Greece. A charming town only less than 10 minutes on the shuttle bus from the ship. Very clean, very swish with lots, and I mean lots of very expensive designer shops, gentlemen be aware do NOT take your credit cards with you!

Our sixth day on board and the crew have been great, as you probably all know you do not want for anything on board. Tonight we have the officers on deck event, followed by a “rock the boat toga dance party” something to look forward to. The sun is still shining, the drinks are flowing what is not to like?

Sounds lovely! Will crew wear togas or just the passengers? Who is the CD?

Odyssey update:

2min, 20sec in ........

Well that’s one week gone. Today we had a complimentary trip the Acropolis and the museum, a fascinating trip, a must if you visit Athens.

On board a new set of guests of course, a jolly lot enjoying the sail away party. Yet another change to the itinerary, instead of a visit to limassol we now visit Paphos, Cyprus a much better location.

One very odd thing is occurring; we have had three telephone calls this week asking if we care to dine with the crew? What is unusual is that the call is received around 6/6.15 pm for the same evening when we have already made reservations, very strange indeed

We had the same thing last week and they sound so disappointed when you say no :D glad you are going to Paphos this time but I still think Cyprus is too far. Have you got another sea day on the way there?

We have one on the way back on this trip.

TK pork tonight in the restaurant, may have to give that a try.

Well that’s one week gone. Today we had a complimentary trip the Acropolis and the museum, a fascinating trip, a must if you visit Athens.

On board a new set of guests of course, a jolly lot enjoying the sail away party. Yet another change to the itinerary, instead of a visit to limassol we now visit Paphos, Cyprus a much better location.

One very odd thing is occurring; we have had three telephone calls this week asking if we care to dine with the crew? What is unusual is that the call is received around 6/6.15 pm for the same evening when we have already made reservations, very strange indeed

Glad things are going well for you and that Seabourn are working their magic. The invitations are nice but whenever I've had one on the day around 18:00 it has been to replace a drop out.

• 2 weeks later...

After several detailed e-mails, Seabourn offered us a $250 per person shipboard credit on the 10/15/16 14 day sailing. Based on the standard 20% discount for combined voyages (7+7=14), we're being overcharged > $2,000 over the combined cost of the two 7-day cruises ... and given the repeated ports in the two 7 day segments, the discount should be more than 20%. BTW, after my first couple of e-mails, Seabourn hiked the prices on the 7-day segments ... which makes the combined price look like less of an overcharge.